The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Taking my NFHS test for the first time

Hi, I'm a noob at officiating.com. This will be my first attempt to get on the NHSUA board. We take out test on March 8th and I've been cramming like it's college all over again.

Our test is closed book. I'm assuming I'll see something about metal cleats, the new 10 second rule for hitters, and a few questions about FLEX-DP.

One thing I'm curious about (maybe reading too much into this) but if FLEX comes in to hit for DP can they be switched back without being charged with a substitution? For example:

Jane is DP and Joan is Flex. When DP-Jane comes to hit coach puts FLEX-Joan into hit. Flex-Joan gets on base then coach comes out and puts DP-Jane back in for Flex-Joan. Does this constitute a sub? The next time DP-Jane comes out she is out for the remainder of the game. Is this correct?

TIA.

Slap
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

When the FLEX bats for the DP, the DP has left the game. When the DP comes back in, it is a re-entry for the DP. If she leaves the game again, she is done.

IOW, you are correct.

The following comment refers to your saying this was not a sub. It actually is a sub for DP, but not for FLEX.

This move has no effect on the FLEX player, but it does affect the DP player - IOW, the DP was "sub-ed for" by FLEX, but the FLEX did not enter as a sub.

When the DP re-enters, she has used up her re-entry rights, so if she leaves again, she is done. But even though DP re-entered, the FLEX still did not leave - she just went back to defense only.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy
... if FLEX comes in to hit for DP can they be switched back without being charged with a substitution? For example:

Jane is DP and Joan is Flex. When DP-Jane comes to hit coach puts FLEX-Joan into hit. Flex-Joan gets on base then coach comes out and puts DP-Jane back in for Flex-Joan. Does this constitute a sub? The next time DP-Jane comes out she is out for the remainder of the game. Is this correct?
When Joan (FLEX) entered on offense, Jane (DP) left the game. You are now at nine players. Jane re-entered as DP, putting Joan back in the FLEX position. You're back to ten players. Jane has used her one re-entry. If she leaves the game again, she is done for the game.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys.

Slap
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
But even though DP re-entered, the FLEX still did not leave - she just went back to defense only.
You don't know that! The DP could be subbing for the FLEX and will play defense the next half inning. If so, the lineup stays at nine and the Flex has left the game.

That is why you ask the coach what he is doing.

WMB
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
You don't know that! The DP could be subbing for the FLEX and will play defense the next half inning. If so, the lineup stays at nine and the Flex has left the game.

That is why you ask the coach what he is doing.

WMB
True.