The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Edinburg, TX
Posts: 1,212
Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Yes. No throw, no interference in Fed.
Yes. NFHS Website case play #11, 2002, affirmed case play #7, 2010.

The catcher's gotta throw!

I might point out that the BRD has the answers to almost every play I've seen in the Forum. For all three codes!

Ir's available at Amazon.com. Buy it, try it: If you don't like it, email me a copy of your sales receipt and I'll refund your money. You get to keep the book.
__________________
Papa C
My website
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 07:04am
Stop staring at me swan.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,974
Of course F2 has to throw. I could call runner lane interference three times per game easily, but F3 almost always catches the ball.
__________________
It's like Deja Vu all over again
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 08:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Of course F2 has to throw. I could call runner lane interference three times per game easily, but F3 almost always catches the ball.
That's beyond surprising. I think I've seen this situation once in the past 3 years. What is going on in your neck of the woods to cause this to happen 3 times per game?
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 08:50am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
That's beyond surprising. I think I've seen this situation once in the past 3 years. What is going on in your neck of the woods to cause this to happen 3 times per game?
Same where I am. Runners frequently run inside the lane here. Rarely do we actually have interference, but there's frequently the possibility for the call.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 09:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
That's beyond surprising. I think I've seen this situation once in the past 3 years. What is going on in your neck of the woods to cause this to happen 3 times per game?
Runners are very often out of the lane. The catchers know how to side-step to get a clear throw. Watch some MLB games and watch the catcher's throw, especially on an U3K. It's routine.

Sometimes I think too many of the participants here spend too much time watching the umpires and not enough watching the game and how it gets played.
__________________
Rich Ives
Different does not equate to wrong
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
Group and Rich - yes, of course runners often run outside the lane. What he said, though, was "I could call runner lane interference three times per game easily". I find THAT to be exceedingly uncommon. Heck, I'd even go so far as to say I'd be surprised that 3 balls in any particular game are hit near enough the plate that runner lane interference would even be possible.
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 02:07pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Group and Rich - yes, of course runners often run outside the lane. What he said, though, was "I could call runner lane interference three times per game easily". I find THAT to be exceedingly uncommon. Heck, I'd even go so far as to say I'd be surprised that 3 balls in any particular game are hit near enough the plate that runner lane interference would even be possible.
I stand by what I say. We have a fair number of sacrifice bunts that are clearly within the box and the BRs run well inside the line -- if the throw hit the runner, we could easily have interference. I think 2-3 times a game sounds about right.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 04:38pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 6,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childress View Post
Yes. NFHS Website case play #11, 2002, affirmed case play #7, 2010.

The catcher's gotta throw!

I might point out that the BRD has the answers to almost every play I've seen in the Forum. For all three codes!

Ir's available at Amazon.com. Buy it, try it: If you don't like it, email me a copy of your sales receipt and I'll refund your money. You get to keep the book.
This shameless plug for the BRD brought to you by Papa C.
__________________
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 04:45pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 6,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post

Sometimes I think too many of the participants here spend too much time watching the umpires and not enough watching the game and how it gets played.
I disagree with this statement. I think most of the participants here have either been playing or coaching the game, most of them quite extensively, their whole lives prior to and while being an umpire, and know how the game is played. For example, I wrote a 19 page term paper in college in 1983 on the Art of Pitching, just to name one scholarly baseball assignment that I did back then (Physical Education major, Coaching emphasis), which was 3 years before becoming an umpire.
__________________
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 04:49pm
Stop staring at me swan.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Group and Rich - yes, of course runners often run outside the lane. What he said, though, was "I could call runner lane interference three times per game easily". I find THAT to be exceedingly uncommon. Heck, I'd even go so far as to say I'd be surprised that 3 balls in any particular game are hit near enough the plate that runner lane interference would even be possible.
Exactly, I could call it...meaning F3 caught the throw(s) so I don't call it...BUT if it would hit the runner or whatever, we'd have interference, and yes, multiple times per game. In fact, more often than not the b/r is out of the runner's lane. In my neck of the woods, teams are doing a lot more bunting w/ the BBCOR bats.
__________________
It's like Deja Vu all over again
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 10:24pm
DG DG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,022
I have called RLI once in the past 5 years, memorable because of the argument that ensued. I have many occassions where I saw a possibility and had in my mind that if the catchers throw hits the runner I have a possible violation. But catchers generally step enough to make a path for the throw.

I have not seen anyone throw the ball over F3s head, but according to FED they want that called.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 03, 2012, 02:33am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Runners are very often out of the lane. The catchers know how to side-step to get a clear throw. Watch some MLB games and watch the catcher's throw, especially on an U3K. It's routine.

Sometimes I think too many of the participants here spend too much time watching the umpires and not enough watching the game and how it gets played.
I think you're wrong, but then again your opinion of umpires has never been all that high.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old Sat May 05, 2012, 10:35am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,577
Recent Video of MLB RLI Call

All Top Plays | [email protected]: Reyes called out on batter interference - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
__________________
SAump

Last edited by SAump; Sat May 05, 2012 at 11:04am.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OK - I admit it. Reffing is much harder than I thought it would be. dsqrddgd909 Basketball 31 Wed Jul 29, 2009 05:10am
Ref60 : 60s of Officiating : Last to Touch ... First to Touch JugglingReferee Basketball 8 Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:13pm
OK, Admit it... WhistlesAndStripes Football 6 Thu Sep 01, 2005 07:17pm
Okay, I Admit It... rainmaker Basketball 12 Tue Oct 14, 2003 02:46pm
do you admit you're wrong? Jeremy40 Basketball 10 Fri Feb 15, 2002 12:15pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1