Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Yes. No throw, no interference in Fed.
Yes. NFHS Website case play #11, 2002, affirmed case play #7, 2010.

The catcher's gotta throw!

I might point out that the BRD has the answers to almost every play I've seen in the Forum. For all three codes!

Ir's available at Amazon.com. Buy it, try it: If you don't like it, email me a copy of your sales receipt and I'll refund your money. You get to keep the book.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 07:04am
Stop staring at me swan.

Of course F2 has to throw. I could call runner lane interference three times per game easily, but F3 almost always catches the ball.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Of course F2 has to throw. I could call runner lane interference three times per game easily, but F3 almost always catches the ball.
That's beyond surprising. I think I've seen this situation once in the past 3 years. What is going on in your neck of the woods to cause this to happen 3 times per game?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 08:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
That's beyond surprising. I think I've seen this situation once in the past 3 years. What is going on in your neck of the woods to cause this to happen 3 times per game?
Same where I am. Runners frequently run inside the lane here. Rarely do we actually have interference, but there's frequently the possibility for the call.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Runners are very often out of the lane. The catchers know how to side-step to get a clear throw. Watch some MLB games and watch the catcher's throw, especially on an U3K. It's routine.

Sometimes I think too many of the participants here spend too much time watching the umpires and not enough watching the game and how it gets played.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Group and Rich - yes, of course runners often run outside the lane. What he said, though, was "I could call runner lane interference three times per game easily". I find THAT to be exceedingly uncommon. Heck, I'd even go so far as to say I'd be surprised that 3 balls in any particular game are hit near enough the plate that runner lane interference would even be possible.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 02:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Group and Rich - yes, of course runners often run outside the lane. What he said, though, was "I could call runner lane interference three times per game easily". I find THAT to be exceedingly uncommon. Heck, I'd even go so far as to say I'd be surprised that 3 balls in any particular game are hit near enough the plate that runner lane interference would even be possible.
I stand by what I say. We have a fair number of sacrifice bunts that are clearly within the box and the BRs run well inside the line -- if the throw hit the runner, we could easily have interference. I think 2-3 times a game sounds about right.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 04:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childress View Post
Yes. NFHS Website case play #11, 2002, affirmed case play #7, 2010.

The catcher's gotta throw!

I might point out that the BRD has the answers to almost every play I've seen in the Forum. For all three codes!

Ir's available at Amazon.com. Buy it, try it: If you don't like it, email me a copy of your sales receipt and I'll refund your money. You get to keep the book.
This shameless plug for the BRD brought to you by Papa C.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 04:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post

Sometimes I think too many of the participants here spend too much time watching the umpires and not enough watching the game and how it gets played.
I disagree with this statement. I think most of the participants here have either been playing or coaching the game, most of them quite extensively, their whole lives prior to and while being an umpire, and know how the game is played. For example, I wrote a 19 page term paper in college in 1983 on the Art of Pitching, just to name one scholarly baseball assignment that I did back then (Physical Education major, Coaching emphasis), which was 3 years before becoming an umpire.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 04:49pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Exactly, I could call it...meaning F3 caught the throw(s) so I don't call it...BUT if it would hit the runner or whatever, we'd have interference, and yes, multiple times per game. In fact, more often than not the b/r is out of the runner's lane. In my neck of the woods, teams are doing a lot more bunting w/ the BBCOR bats.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

I have called RLI once in the past 5 years, memorable because of the argument that ensued. I have many occassions where I saw a possibility and had in my mind that if the catchers throw hits the runner I have a possible violation. But catchers generally step enough to make a path for the throw.

I have not seen anyone throw the ball over F3s head, but according to FED they want that called.
Old Thu May 03, 2012, 02:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Runners are very often out of the lane. The catchers know how to side-step to get a clear throw. Watch some MLB games and watch the catcher's throw, especially on an U3K. It's routine.

I think you're wrong, but then again your opinion of umpires has never been all that high.
Old Sat May 05, 2012, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Recent Video of MLB RLI Call

All Top Plays | MIA@SD: Reyes called out on batter interference - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Last edited by SAump; Sat May 05, 2012 at 11:04am.