The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Smartest Coach in the World

I had a game today where a coach employed maybe the smartest play I had ever seen. R1 & R3 with two outs. Instead of stealing second base, R1 takes off for short right field and stops a few feet in front of F9. F1 steps off and hold onto the ball for about 30-45 seconds. When R1 starts toward second base, F1 throws late and R3 scores. I don't see any possible defense for this. The defensive coach wants the runner called out, but there is no basis for this. He informs me that if this happens again, he will instriuct his F1 to simply hold the ball and bring the game to a halt. What would you do if this happened? I would think that we could somehow penalize the defensive team for making a mockery of the game if his F1 refused to throw the ball.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

This is not new. The proper handling of this situation by the umpire has been debated for years. If nothing else, the defense should just pitch. Chances of a double play are high.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 12:05am
Stop staring at me swan.

Skunk in the outfield. Not a new play. But it seems to be regaining some steam recently.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Skunk on the bench play.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

What is this "mockery of the game" rule?
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 08:40am
Stop staring at me swan.

This is a perfectly legal play. Only umpires who like to make up their own rules like "mockery" on a perfectly legal play.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

If there is no basis for calling the runner out, then the runner is not breaking a rule and can't be making a mockery of the game, if that rule exists.

As a defensive coach I tell my pitcher to get on the plate and pitch, if they want their runner to start from right field, good for them. At younger levels that steal at second is going to happen with a player on third. Odds are in favor of offense, if defense makes play on the runner, (at the younger levels).
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

On a skunk in the outfield play, a well coached team will take R3 off the bases 80% of the time, thereby making a mockery of the play (and the coach).
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 09:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

The enjoyable way to handle this would be for the umpire to get something in his eye and call time. About 6 times.

Just kidding, just kidding....
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
On a skunk in the outfield play, a well coached team will take R3 off the bases 80% of the time, thereby making a mockery of the play (and the coach).
And there are probably only 20% well coached teams in america at the younger levels, which means by the latest gallop poll 65.334% percent of the time advantage goes to the offense.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 11:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Skunk on the bench play.
Or in the 3rd base coaches box.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I would be very careful trying to use 'mockery of the game' to justify making calls. Part of the game is to try to use deceit and deception to your teams advantage. I remember in high school there was one team who used all these ploys, most worked the first time they tried them and very seldom after. As officials we do not need to interject ourselves into legal plays when we have no business doing so.

I personally enjoy seeing these type of plays because it makes the game fun, that's just me.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post
smartest coach in the world..........
rotfalmao!
Old Fri May 04, 2012, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

My strategy against this.

After reading about this and doing some thinking, here is what I have come up with to do about this:

We don't prepare for things like this in practice because I would rather spend time on baseball activities that will make my players play the game the right way. Let's first assume this scenario:

R1, outs don't matter. The runner takes a normal lead from first when the defensive coach decides he wants to talk to his pitcher. He requests and is granted time. After his conference on the mound play resumes with R1 once again taking a normal lead. I think we can all agree that this type of thing happens all of the time.

Now let's look at the situation from the original post. R1 has gone into short right field and is standing in front of F9. When he stops he is no longer advancing toward second base so it can be assumed that he has taken his lead. At this point, as the defensive coach I will request time. It should be granted because the runner is not advancing and we are not making a play on him. If the request is denied, then the umpire must also deny any future requests where the runner has taken his lead. If this is the case, any time I am on offense and I sense that the opposing coach wants to have a conference or replace a pitcher, I will make sure that my baserunner is at lease a step off the base and the umpire will not grant time.

I know some of you will say that this will just prolong the game because the offense will do the same thing when the ball is put back into play, but I would be using this conference to instruct my players as to exactly what I want them to do in this situation.

How would all of you handle this?
Old Fri May 04, 2012, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Just have the pitcher step off and start walking toward the skunk all the while keeping an eye on R3. The R1 will eventually have to start directly towards 1B or 2B in a direct line. If R3 Breaks for home then throw home. If the pitcher is any good he should be able to nail him. Or just tag the skunk before R3 scores.