The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Don't get yourself straight-lined!

It's not the best screen capture, but the positions weren't any different half a second before this.

Old Wed May 02, 2012, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the video: All Top Plays | LAD@COL: Hairston incorrectly called out at first - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Went 90 to throw; probably didn't read throw and no adjustment. 2SF would have worked here. Pick your poison.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 09:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Went 90 to throw; probably didn't read throw and no adjustment. 2SF would have worked here. Pick your poison.
I agree. While it's easy to get to 90 and looks like you're really hustling, it more often than not puts F3 between you and the play at the base, especially on the longer or off-balance throws from F5. Two to three steps fair is plenty.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Horrible. No excuse. Pure laziness.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I agree. While it's easy to get to 90 and looks like you're really hustling, it more often than not puts F3 between you and the play at the base, especially on the longer or off-balance throws from F5. Two to three steps fair is plenty.
If it's really a 90, it will not put F3 between you and the base. Most often, as in the case, he went beyond the 90. He was set up for a throw from third base or even then the mound and it came from the SS position. The bad throw and his failure to adjust made it worse.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 10:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
If it's really a 90, it will not put F3 between you and the base. Most often, as in the case, he went beyond the 90. He was set up for a throw from third base or even then the mound and it came from the SS position. The bad throw and his failure to adjust made it worse.
Yeah, looking at it again, he was more like 45 degrees from where the throw originated.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu May 03, 2012, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Worst call ever?

Is there another?
Old Thu May 03, 2012, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

When you figure how many games these guys work and how everything is being videoed, it is surprising there aren't more calls like this made. I might work 60 games a year. I wonder how many calls would show up on You Tube if every call I made was taped?

The MLB guys are great. I wish I were as good as the worst one. But the law of averages will catch up to them too.
Old Thu May 03, 2012, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
When you figure how many games these guys work and how everything is being videoed, it is surprising there aren't more calls like this made. I might work 60 games a year. I wonder how many calls would show up on You Tube if every call I made was taped?

The MLB guys are great. I wish I were as good as the worst one. But the law of averages will catch up to them too.
I think we can all live with mistakes of judgement - it happens. But among this group, bad positioning that leads to a wrong call is going to get no sympathy. I agree that for the most part, MOST of the MLB umpires are as good as it gets. However, I believe we should be able to expect these guys to have stellar mechanics - and when they don't, it's not accepted here. There's no excuse for his positioning on this play.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 03, 2012, 11:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Too damned far -- well beyond 90 degrees. And no read step on the bad throw -- he focused on the play before reading a bad throw. Happens to all of us. Horrible time for it to happen to him considering it ended up all over the web.
Old Thu May 03, 2012, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
But the law of averages will catch up to them too.
No such thing. The explanation is that they're human, and that's ok too.
Old Thu May 03, 2012, 03:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Horrible. No excuse. Pure laziness.
I do not think it has anything to do with laziness, but an old mechanic that umpires that are older love to hold onto. Actually he had to hustle to get to that spot, but it is just a bad spot.

Peace
Old Thu May 03, 2012, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not think it has anything to do with laziness, but an old mechanic that umpires that are older love to hold onto. Actually he had to hustle to get to that spot, but it is just a bad spot.

Peace
Agreed. Used it myself for many years. Fellow ump showed my 2-3 steps a few years back. using it since.
Old Thu May 03, 2012, 10:54pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
It's a bad spot in our games. In MLB, where the throw is accurate 99% of the time, that is a far better position than 2SF to judge whether the runner beats the throw. When things go awry, the shortcoming of the position is magnified, but that doesn't detract from how good a spot it is at that level.

"90 to the line of the throw" is a meaningless standard. You're always at 90. The length and direction of the perpendicular varies with the throw, but you're always at 90.