The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Retouch base after foul ball

Was watching a high school baseball game here in Wisconsin over the weekend. Crazy scenerio occurred to end the game. Score is 2-1 home team in the lead top of the 7th. Bases loaded one out. The batter hits a long foul ball down the right field line. All 3 runners are tearing around the bases when the home plate ump yells "foul" runners return to their bases. After the next pitch which was a ball low the base umpire comes flying in toward the plate and calls 2 of the baserunners out for failing to retouch their respective bases following a foul ball. What a weak ending to this exciting game. Is this correct? Is there a rule that supports doing this?
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

The rule does state that runners will retouch their bases after a foul ball, but it is accepted practice to accept a runner "near" his base to have touched.

This umpire must have been a putz!
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetime1 View Post
Was watching a high school baseball game here in Wisconsin over the weekend. Crazy scenerio occurred to end the game. Score is 2-1 home team in the lead top of the 7th. Bases loaded one out. The batter hits a long foul ball down the right field line. All 3 runners are tearing around the bases when the home plate ump yells "foul" runners return to their bases. After the next pitch which was a ball low the base umpire comes flying in toward the plate and calls 2 of the baserunners out for failing to retouch their respective bases following a foul ball. What a weak ending to this exciting game. Is this correct? Is there a rule that supports doing this?
How did the protest go?

8-2-2 The umpire will not make the ball live until the runner returns to the appropriate base.

Guess who blew it - not the runner. And there's no penalty specified.

ALSO, in any event any missed base or failure to tag is an appeal by the defense. The umpire cannot initiate it on his own.

AND, no appeal can be made after the next pitch or play.

Bottom line: BLOWN ROYALLY!
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 02:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
How did the protest go?
No protests allowed in HS games in Wisconsin. So not very well, I'm guessing.

OP, where was this game? Can you post the location or send me a PM?
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Wisconsin??

Can't help but wondering if the base umpire works basketball as well.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 03:21pm

The only time this should ever be enforced, and is the purpose behind the rule, is when the runners intentionally linger and don't go anywhere near their base, and are trying to gain an advantage by getting closer to the next base without being detected.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
The only time this should ever be enforced, and is the purpose behind the rule, is when the runners intentionally linger and don't go anywhere near their base, and are trying to gain an advantage by getting closer to the next base without being detected.
The trick is ... it's really a completely unenforceable rule. They can't be out until the ball is live... but the ball can't be live until they return.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 04:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
The trick is ... it's really a completely unenforceable rule. They can't be out until the ball is live... but the ball can't be live until they return.
That's why the BU has to observe the runners get close to the base. I turn around and watch R2 until I feel he is close enough, then I turn back around and forget about him.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Plays that give umpires a bad rap.. Horrible umpiring by PU and BU. This should never happen in a baseball game.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After the next pitch which was a ball low the base umpire comes flying in toward the plate and calls 2 of the baserunners out for failing to retouch their respective bases following a foul ball.
Ok, I vote for the stupidest call by a baseball official. That would definetly be his last game here. And to have his partner go along with it.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Ok, I vote for the stupidest call by a baseball official. That would definetly be his last game here. And to have his partner go along with it.
These were not officials. Clowns come to mind. But I think you would need the whole background of umpiring in this area. Might be willing canon fodder put out without proper training.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Eerily quiet from RichMSN. Hmmmmm.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 10:44pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Wow. Poached big time.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

I've always heard that the rule is to prevent runners from taking 89-foot leads. Which makes me wonder what this literal-minded ump would say if the runner quickly retouched and then assumed an 89-foot lead before PU calls "play".
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 12:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
Eerily quiet from RichMSN. Hmmmmm.
I'm here. You can probably tell I'm not posting as much as I used to. I have my reasons (they have to do with working a different level in one of my sports and being told it's probably not a wise idea to continue to post in such a recognizable manner).

No idea where this was -- I'd love to know. No protests at all in HS games in WI, so that line of thinking is irrelevant. I don't think lack of training and over-officiousness is only a problem in Wisconsin, though. These types of things happen everywhere. For example, remember when an umpire cleared the stands during a HS baseball game in Iowa?

Back to lurking. I'm still reading and can still get PMs, etc.