The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Batted ball hits second base then rolls foul

A friend of mine swore he saw this happen once. I'm skeptical. I never have. Nevertheless, how would you rule? Here's the alleged situation:

Batted ball hits second base. The base is so spongy that the ball ricochets backwards and has enough momentum to roll across the foul line between third and home without being touched. The catcher then picks up the ball near the on-deck circle. Fair ball? or foul ball?
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Ball hits Second Base

Fair Ball...
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

If it bounces into foul territory off of first or third it is fair. The ball certainly passed both corner bags if it made it to second base

Fair Ball

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
ASA definition of a fair ball states if the ball hits 1st, 2nd or 3rd base, it's a fair ball.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBlue
ASA definition of a fair ball states if the ball hits 1st, 2nd or 3rd base, it's a fair ball.
Same in NF - probably all rule sets.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Fair - all rulesets (and not that it's completely relevant, but all codes in baseball too).
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

I'd call it fair too. Has anyone actually seen this play happen?
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

The ball certainly passed both corner bags if it made it to second base

The OP of course describes a fair ball.

But be careful here. Fed may draw a fair/foul line between 1B and 3B, but other codes do not. In ASA, if a high pop lands a foot before 2B and then spins backward foul, it is a foul ball. It is not considered as having passed 1B or 3B.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
The ball certainly passed both corner bags if it made it to second base

The OP of course describes a fair ball.

But be careful here. Fed may draw a fair/foul line between 1B and 3B, but other codes do not. In ASA, if a high pop lands a foot before 2B and then spins backward foul, it is a foul ball. It is not considered as having passed 1B or 3B.
Where does NF "draw a fair/foul line between 1st and 3rd?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Fed uses the 1B-3B line in baseball ("contacts fair ground on or beyond an imaginary line between first and third base"), but for reasons known only to them does not use it in softball. I don't know of any other code that uses that line, though many coaches and even umpires have tried to make such a claim to me in both OBR and ASA.

In its baseball clinics, Fed emphasizes that rule, which is probably why so many people have assumed that it applies to other codes.

Last edited by greymule; Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 04:32pm.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Fed uses the 1B-3B line in baseball ("contacts fair ground on or beyond an imaginary line between first and third base"), but for reasons known only to them does not use it in softball. I don't know of any other code that uses that line, though many coaches and even umpires have tried to make such a claim to me in both OBR and ASA.

In its baseball clinics, Fed emphasizes that rule, which is probably why so many people have assumed that it applies to other codes.
Well you scared me - I even came home and pulled out my rulebook and then logged on and saw your post. I would say that's stupid in baseball too.

Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Maybe it was only in baseball, but around here, it was taught as a Fed softball rules for years.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

The 2002 Fed baseball book describes this 1B-3B line under the definition of "fair ball" in 2-5 "Base Hit," while the 2002 softball book definition of "fair ball" falls under (surprise) 2-20 "fair ball."

The baseball book gives 7 criteria. The softball book gives the same criteria, except for the one about the imaginary line.

Of course, these are 2002 books. The softball definition might have changed before or since.

I would say that's stupid in baseball too.

Amen.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2006, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Maybe it was only in baseball, but around here, it was taught as a Fed softball rules for years.
You have always complained that Fed softball was run by baseball people in your part of the country. If that is what they were teaching for years, then they were wrong for years.

In all of my Fed books going back to 1979, as part of the definitions of a fair ball, state that "A fair ball is a batted ball that touches first, second or third bases." There has never been any "imaginary line" in the softball book.

WMB
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
You have always complained that Fed softball was run by baseball people in your part of the country. If that is what they were teaching for years, then they were wrong for years.

WMB

And that is part of the issue. Around here, the NFHS UIC for baseball and softball is the same person and he has never been one for softball rules.

I never said they were correct, just that it was the way it was taught around here. Thanks for pointing out the result of what I have been stating.