The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Retouch on foul ball

JV game, bases loaded and R2 leading off 2nd base. Foul ball back to the screen and catcher can't make the play. Next pitch batter clears the bases with a triple. Ball comes back in, and F4 asks for it. He says he wants to appeal R2 for not retouching 2nd base after foul ball. Can't find exact interp in the NFHS rules and have heard that as long as he is "in the vicinity" he is OK. Can someone clarify this for me?
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

LL 12U must touch

AGE makes a difference here and whether they lead-off or not.

Usually, the BU signals TIME by raising both hands above his head, watches each runner safely return to base, and then signals the PU that he is ready for action to continue. The PU should check the ball and/or issue a new one to the pitcher during this time. Once the BU is ready and everyone else has set into proper place, PU must then signal PLAY before any LIVE action may continue.

If the PU signals PLAY and the pitcher delivers a pitch, then it is assumed that the defense was alert and knew the situation was live. If the PU signals PLAY and a pitcher attempts to pick-off a baserunner, then it is assumed that the offense was alert and knew the situation was live. Base coaches should also be aware and alert when runners lead off.

Do not even consider this an appeal after a PLAY has been made. Although, rules require retouch after a foul ball or a catch. Retouch really only matters after a catch at that age, not a foul ball.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

8.2.2, a returining runner shall retouch the bases in reverse order. If the ball is dead because of an uncaught foul, it is NOT necessary for a returning runner to retouch intervening bases. ......

2005 rule book
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Read 8-2-2 carefully: "A returning runner shall retouch the bases in reverse order. If the ball is dead because of an uncaught foul, it is not necessary for a returning runner to retouch intervening bases. The umpire wil not make the ball alive until the runner returns to the appropriate base." Note that it says returns and not touches.

Then read 8-3-9: "Each runner shall touch his base after the ball becomes dead." But there is no penalty listed.

Now if you have 2006 BRD go to page 260 and read up on this subject. In summary:

FED: return to vicinity

NCAA: retouch

OBR: Same as NCAA, however AO by Evans indicates professional umpires routinely put the ball back in play when the runner is in vicinity
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
There is no penalty for a runner failing to retouch a base after a foul ball. The ball is dead and the ump should not declare it live until the runners have retouched.

I have sarcastically told runners that I'll wait while they return and touch the base.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
There is no penalty for a runner failing to retouch a base after a foul ball. The ball is dead and the ump should not declare it live until the runners have retouched.

I have sarcastically told runners that I'll wait while they return and touch the base.

Ball only becomes live in FED after the batter is in the box and F1 is on the plate. Runners do not have to touch the base after a dead ball.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 12:46am

The reason they are supposed to return to their bases is so they can't get this huge lead from 2nd base after an uncaught foul. I've caught them trying to nonchalantly come back to about half-way between bases and stop there. I just turn around and tilt my head and shift my eyes toward 2nd, and they usually get the hint and get back to the vicinity of 2nd. Then I turn around to let the PU know that we are ready to continue.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Tue Apr 18, 2006 at 12:48am.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by irefky
Ball only becomes live in FED after the batter is in the box and F1 is on the plate. Runners do not have to touch the base after a dead ball.
FED Rule 8-2-2 A returning runner shall retouch the bases in reverse order. If the ball is dead because of an uncaught foul, it is not necessary for a returning runner to retouch intervening bases. The umpire will not make the ball alive until the runner returns to the appropriate base.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
FED Rule 8-2-2 A returning runner shall retouch the bases in reverse order. If the ball is dead because of an uncaught foul, it is not necessary for a returning runner to retouch intervening bases. The umpire will not make the ball alive until the runner returns to the appropriate base.
Returns to the appropriate base, not touches. Vicinity is close enough.