The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 21, 2012, 09:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I don't do cup check so I have no idea who is or is not wearing, but I have my suspicions. I never wore a cup when playing and I was a middle infielder, all the more incentive to get glove on the ball. My sons always did but they were catchers and if not catching they could be soon.

I give up on the jewelry discussion. I don't think phiten, Livestrong or little gold chains are the least bit hazardous, but I can certainly see Mr. T attire blinding the batter when sun reflects off of it, as can the sun.
Not to belabor the point...okay, to belabor the point , the sun is fairly stationary, and doesn't suddenly flash into anybody's eyes. Seriously, Mr. T would be proud of some of the stuff that some players try to wear in games. I've never ejected anyone for jewelry, or even issued a team warning. "Take that off" has always been enough. I guess my reputation of not desiring to repeat myself precedes me wherever I go.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 21, 2012, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Not to belabor the point...okay, to belabor the point , the sun is fairly stationary, and doesn't suddenly flash into anybody's eyes. Seriously, Mr. T would be proud of some of the stuff that some players try to wear in games. I've never ejected anyone for jewelry, or even issued a team warning. "Take that off" has always been enough. I guess my reputation of not desiring to repeat myself precedes me wherever I go.
Well said. Pretty cut and dry - and the players will do what you ask them to.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Apr 21, 2012, 11:37pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
...I've never ejected anyone for jewelry, or even issued a team warning. "Take that off" has always been enough. I guess my reputation of not desiring to repeat myself precedes me wherever I go.
You guess? You are legendary. I'm surprised players attempt to skirt the rules when you are on the job.
Old Sat Apr 21, 2012, 11:45pm
In Time Out

Quote:
I don't do cup check so I have no idea who is or is not wearing, but I have my suspicions.
Might I suggest that you ask each and every player, out loud, in your authoratative voice, if they are gonad protected. If, by chance, they were to receive a testicular blow that caused them to have children with flippers for arms, you would be exposed to great liability.

Quote:
I give up on the jewelry discussion. I don't think phiten, Livestrong or little gold chains are the least bit hazardous.
I was properly officiating a game whee a player with a tiny gold cross on a tiny gold necklace slid into the base and upon popping up, hooked the nose of the defensive player slicing open a nasty gash. Blood spewed everywhere.

Since this was Latin ball, I could not require the player to remove his religious ornamentation. Nor could I use my empowers to reason firmly with him that, perhaps, Jesus wasn't happy at this juncture.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2012, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestUmp View Post
I was properly officiating a game whee a player with a tiny gold cross on a tiny gold necklace slid into the base and upon popping up, hooked the nose of the defensive player slicing open a nasty gash. Blood spewed everywhere.
Make a rule that forbids metal spikes, an injury possibility much more possible than a tiny gold cross, which I am still trying to visualize.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2012, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

I have a tough time understanding umpires who pick and choose which rules they will enforce. Around here, we are rated by partners and coaches for the job we do on the field. Sure, I will probably receive a worse rating for having coaches stay inside the dugout (when not in a coaching box), enforcing the batter's box and jewelry rules, making sure bullpen catchers wear helmets and ignoring certain balks. I have been told as much - "Blue, no one calls that stuff around here." I bet they will when the playoffs roll around. I'm fairly certain that the HC won't want to see his scholarship bound catcher dumped for wearing jewelry during a late round playoff contest.

This story has been related prior. Last season, first round off playoffs: my partner ejects the starting catcher for wearing a LiveStrong type bracelet. He insisted that he warned him and 3-3-1d states that a warning shall be issued to the HC of the offending team and the next player dumped. That is pretty cut and dry. The responsibility for ensuring that his players are properly equipped is entirely the HC's. Warn, record and play. If another infraction occurs, sometimes you just have to umpire. It may appear trivial but most rules are. They only apply to those who seek ways around them.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2012, 12:07pm
In Time Out

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
I have a tough time understanding umpires who pick and choose which rules they will enforce. Around here, we are rated by partners and coaches for the job we do on the field. Sure, I will probably receive a worse rating for having coaches stay inside the dugout (when not in a coaching box), enforcing the batter's box and jewelry rules, making sure bullpen catchers wear helmets and ignoring certain balks. I have been told as much - "Blue, no one calls that stuff around here." I bet they will when the playoffs roll around. I'm fairly certain that the HC won't want to see his scholarship bound catcher dumped for wearing jewelry during a late round playoff contest.

This story has been related prior. Last season, first round off playoffs: my partner ejects the starting catcher for wearing a LiveStrong type bracelet. He insisted that he warned him and 3-3-1d states that a warning shall be issued to the HC of the offending team and the next player dumped. That is pretty cut and dry. The responsibility for ensuring that his players are properly equipped is entirely the HC's. Warn, record and play. If another infraction occurs, sometimes you just have to umpire. It may appear trivial but most rules are. They only apply to those who seek ways around them.
Mike, well spoken!

We are arbiters not rule makers unless, of course, we are on the Rules Making Committee.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2012, 12:09pm
In Time Out

Arrow

Quote:
Make a rule that forbids metal spikes, an injury possibility much more possible than a tiny gold cross, which I am still trying to visualize.
The rule makers disagree with you most obviously. Think it has anything to do with who manufactures gold crosses and who manufactures spikes?
Old Sun Apr 22, 2012, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Metal spikes serve a playing purpose. A gold cross does nothing.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2012, 02:55pm

Quote:
You guess? You are legendary. I'm surprised players attempt to skirt the rules when you are on the job.
Me too.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2012, 02:57pm

Quote:
Might I suggest that you ask each and every player, out loud, in your authoratative voice, if they are gonad protected. If, by chance, they were to receive a testicular blow that caused them to have children with flippers for arms, you would be exposed to great liability.

Since this was Latin ball, I could not require the player to remove his religious ornamentation. Nor could I use my empowers to reason firmly with him that, perhaps, Jesus wasn't happy at this juncture.
Yeah, that happened.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2012, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The rule makers disagree with you most obviously. Think it has anything to do with who manufactures gold crosses and who manufactures spikes?
No, I don't. I think it has do with some law suit where someone's pierced nose or ear ring got caught up somehow and removed someone's nose or ear. So FED and most youth leagues have adopted a jewelry rule and it has applied to a host of stuff that I find difficult to fathom causing injury, like phiten necklaces and Livestrong bracelets.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2012, 11:44pm
In Time Out

Quote:
No, I don't. I think it has do with some law suit where someone's pierced nose or ear ring got caught up somehow and removed someone's nose or ear. So FED and most youth leagues have adopted a jewelry rule and it has applied to a host of stuff that I find difficult to fathom causing injury, like phiten necklaces and Livestrong bracelets.
Would you not expect that there would have been more lawsuits regarding the use of metal spike injuries than the wearing of jewelery (before there was a jewelry rule, of course.)?

I would.

Which is why I continue to believe that metal spike mfgs rule the day when it comes to their use on the field.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Imagine stopping a game because a player lost his diamond earring and his buddies are scouring the infield for it. I saw that happen in a summer semi-pro game a few years back.

If it is a rule in HS, there's probably a reason for it. Enforce it.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have never seen an ejection for jewelry, by anyone. I also don't see the safety issue.
As one who has seen a cleat yank out an earring, I certainly do.

West Houston Mike