Thread: Thoughts...
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 20, 2012, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
In over 30 years, I have never tossed a player for jewelry. I tell them that when they go back in the dugout, make the necklace (or whatever) gone so I do not see it again. Only once, I had to refer to a coach to take care of the problem.

Yes, I know that it is a safety issue but I am not ejecting a player for it. I will just make sure that the offending material is either gone or invisible.
Ozzy,

But that's the thing: from what I can remember of the story and some of the other commentary, this player was told more than once about the necklace, and yet came back out on the field. (And from some accounts, the player in question is one of those who feels his excrement does not smell, in a manner of speaking.)

So the ump in question dumped him. From what you wrote, that's the point where the coach would have been called into it. Don't know if his coach would have done the right thing, or decided to "fight for his player," or what.

This was a game from where I lived, but not where I umpired, so I can't anything from personal experience about the player or the umpires in question. But it certainly caused a stir.