The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Incident @ Pre-Game

So my partner told me this story yesterday that happen in a game earlier this year with a "legend" in these parts.

At the plate meeting, said "legend" refuses to list all his substitutes and in fact does not provide at the plate meeting a lineup to the plate umpire. He gets it to him in the third inning, in fact apparently before the game starts he gets face to face with plate umpire.

I know the rule books state to not accept the lineup without all substitutions listed, however, there is no penalty accessed if their not all listed.

Coach is known to be hard a$$ and want to intimidate, just my luck I have him this saturday in a district game. Should be fun.

How would you guys have ruled in the scenario described, I for one would have dumped him before game started.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlores View Post
So my partner told me this story yesterday that happen in a game earlier this year with a "legend" in these parts.

At the plate meeting, said "legend" refuses to list all his substitutes and in fact does not provide at the plate meeting a lineup to the plate umpire. He gets it to him in the third inning, in fact apparently before the game starts he gets face to face with plate umpire.

I know the rule books state to not accept the lineup without all substitutions listed, however, there is no penalty accessed if their not all listed.
Sure there is. Don't accept the lineup. (PS - we don't start without a lineup ... htf did he get to the 3rd inning without one?)

Quote:
How would you guys have ruled in the scenario described, I for one would have dumped him before game started.
Well ... we weren't there and are hearing the story 2nd hand as it is... but I think most umpires I've worked with (self included) would have considered an ejection rather strongly - especially during the "face-to-face" before the game started.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

PS --- where in Houston (be general if you don't want to tip off who you're talking about)

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

If he refuses to provide a line-up, maybe the new head coach will be more agreeable to following the rules.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:55am
Archaic Power Monger

Case Book Play 1.1.2 Situation A

During the pregame conference, head coaches of Team A and Team B hand in their lineup cards to the umpire-in-chief. Team A's starting players as well as all eligible substitutes are listed on the lineup card properly, but Team B's lineup card lists only starting players. During the first inning, Team B wishes to pinch hit with a substitute player who is not listed on the lineup card.

RULING: The name and the shirt number of each eligible substitute shall be listed. The plate umpire accepts Team B's lineup card but encourages the head coach to list the eligible substitutes. Later, if Team B wishes to substitute a player who was not listed on the lineup card, it may do so without penalty.

That said if he doesn't want to provide a lineup at all, we won't start until we get one even if it is from his replacement.

I'm curious also as to which team this was.

Last edited by Welpe; Thu Mar 22, 2012 at 11:59am.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

If he wants to be a "hard-***" then I'm all for dumping him then having the new manager give me a line up. I know that many times (especially in Summer ball) you won't get a lineup. So the other option is start without the line up and don't accept any later (not the best resolution but the game gets going).

I have done this (no lineup) on rare occasions and wouldn't you know, they want to appeal BOO. Guess what, no line up, don't care.... play on.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlores View Post
I for two agree with dumping him before the game can get started.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:03pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Yeah, somebody just has to have the seeds to send him to the showers. Just make sure you're within the rules to do so. Sounds like lots of people in your area aren't doing their jobs.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

I'd question the ability to umpire of anyone who would not eject a manager for refusing to hand over a lineup card.

You can train a chimp to call balls, strikes, safe, out, etc. But you need an umpire to administrate the game. (Chimps are really bad at stuff like that).

Anyone who tries to play the "do you know who I am?" card needs to be taken down a notch. Any umpire not up to it should consider another hobby.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 07:22am
Official & ***** Member

In our state, he would either bring me a lineup card, or a check for $300 before introducing the designated HC.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Had a game many years ago where I had the same team two days in a row. The second game I had with them at the plate conference the coach asks me who is calling the game today. I ask what he means and he argues a balk call from the day before that nothing was said about as it was definately a balk. I told the coach I would explain the balk and again he asks who is calling the game. This is one of the few coaches I always had trouble with and at this point I told him I was calling the game and that he was done for the game and ejected him while we stood at the plate conference.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

LOL @ "Who is calling the game?" to a guy who is standing at the plate in full gear!
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Ron Luciano once ejected Earl Weaver before the game started. Apparently Earl asked Ron at the pre-game meeting if he was going to be as horse**** today as he was yesterday. Bye Bye Earl
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
"Coach, we start this game in 15 minutes. If you aren't ready to play, and that includes handing me a line-up card, you will forfeit this game at that time."

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Naw, I'd much rather punish the manager, than the team.