The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Incident @ Pre-Game (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/90168-incident-pre-game.html)

JFlores Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:31am

Incident @ Pre-Game

So my partner told me this story yesterday that happen in a game earlier this year with a "legend" in these parts.

At the plate meeting, said "legend" refuses to list all his substitutes and in fact does not provide at the plate meeting a lineup to the plate umpire. He gets it to him in the third inning, in fact apparently before the game starts he gets face to face with plate umpire.

I know the rule books state to not accept the lineup without all substitutions listed, however, there is no penalty accessed if their not all listed.

Coach is known to be hard a$$ and want to intimidate, just my luck I have him this saturday in a district game. Should be fun.

How would you guys have ruled in the scenario described, I for one would have dumped him before game started.

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFlores (Post 833638)
So my partner told me this story yesterday that happen in a game earlier this year with a "legend" in these parts.

At the plate meeting, said "legend" refuses to list all his substitutes and in fact does not provide at the plate meeting a lineup to the plate umpire. He gets it to him in the third inning, in fact apparently before the game starts he gets face to face with plate umpire.

I know the rule books state to not accept the lineup without all substitutions listed, however, there is no penalty accessed if their not all listed.

Sure there is. Don't accept the lineup. (PS - we don't start without a lineup ... htf did he get to the 3rd inning without one?)

Quote:

How would you guys have ruled in the scenario described, I for one would have dumped him before game started.
Well ... we weren't there and are hearing the story 2nd hand as it is... but I think most umpires I've worked with (self included) would have considered an ejection rather strongly - especially during the "face-to-face" before the game started.

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:45am

PS --- where in Houston (be general if you don't want to tip off who you're talking about)

dash_riprock Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:55am

If he refuses to provide a line-up, maybe the new head coach will be more agreeable to following the rules.

Welpe Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:55am

Case Book Play 1.1.2 Situation A

During the pregame conference, head coaches of Team A and Team B hand in their lineup cards to the umpire-in-chief. Team A's starting players as well as all eligible substitutes are listed on the lineup card properly, but Team B's lineup card lists only starting players. During the first inning, Team B wishes to pinch hit with a substitute player who is not listed on the lineup card.

RULING: The name and the shirt number of each eligible substitute shall be listed. The plate umpire accepts Team B's lineup card but encourages the head coach to list the eligible substitutes. Later, if Team B wishes to substitute a player who was not listed on the lineup card, it may do so without penalty.

That said if he doesn't want to provide a lineup at all, we won't start until we get one even if it is from his replacement.

I'm curious also as to which team this was.

ozzy6900 Thu Mar 22, 2012 03:17pm

If he wants to be a "hard-***" then I'm all for dumping him then having the new manager give me a line up. I know that many times (especially in Summer ball) you won't get a lineup. So the other option is start without the line up and don't accept any later (not the best resolution but the game gets going).

I have done this (no lineup) on rare occasions and wouldn't you know, they want to appeal BOO. Guess what, no line up, don't care.... play on.

DG Thu Mar 22, 2012 06:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFlores (Post 833638)

I for two agree with dumping him before the game can get started.

johnnyg08 Thu Mar 22, 2012 07:03pm

Yeah, somebody just has to have the seeds to send him to the showers. Just make sure you're within the rules to do so. Sounds like lots of people in your area aren't doing their jobs.

kylejt Thu Mar 22, 2012 07:23pm

I'd question the ability to umpire of anyone who would not eject a manager for refusing to hand over a lineup card.

You can train a chimp to call balls, strikes, safe, out, etc. But you need an umpire to administrate the game. (Chimps are really bad at stuff like that).

Anyone who tries to play the "do you know who I am?" card needs to be taken down a notch. Any umpire not up to it should consider another hobby.

CT1 Fri Mar 23, 2012 07:22am

In our state, he would either bring me a lineup card, or a check for $300 before introducing the designated HC.

footballref1970 Fri Mar 23, 2012 08:36am

Had a game many years ago where I had the same team two days in a row. The second game I had with them at the plate conference the coach asks me who is calling the game today. I ask what he means and he argues a balk call from the day before that nothing was said about as it was definately a balk. I told the coach I would explain the balk and again he asks who is calling the game. This is one of the few coaches I always had trouble with and at this point I told him I was calling the game and that he was done for the game and ejected him while we stood at the plate conference.

kylejt Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:50am

LOL @ "Who is calling the game?" to a guy who is standing at the plate in full gear!

SE Minnestoa Re Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:12am

Ron Luciano once ejected Earl Weaver before the game started. Apparently Earl asked Ron at the pre-game meeting if he was going to be as horse**** today as he was yesterday. Bye Bye Earl:D

RPatrino Fri Mar 23, 2012 02:49pm

"Coach, we start this game in 15 minutes. If you aren't ready to play, and that includes handing me a line-up card, you will forfeit this game at that time."

kylejt Fri Mar 23, 2012 04:09pm

Naw, I'd much rather punish the manager, than the team.