The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Keeping Warm

This is my first season in the great Northwest. So far, the temp's have never been over 50, and that is not what this California guy is used to. Normally, I have to worry about keeping cool! First on field experience was not very pleasant, I forgot my gloves and only had a regular tee shirt under my pull over. I also wore work (dress) socks, having gone directly from work. So, I felt like an ice cube.

So, having 'learned' from this experience, I purchased an Under Armor cold weather undershirt and some nice socks. It was a bit better, but the wind was bitter cold and I was still shivering. I noticed that some of the others wore Majestic heavy pull overs. Does anyone else have them? What else can I do to keep comfortable and not be immobile ?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
This is my first season in the great Northwest. So far, the temp's have never been over 50, and that is not what this California guy is used to. Normally, I have to worry about keeping cool! First on field experience was not very pleasant, I forgot my gloves and only had a regular tee shirt under my pull over. I also wore work (dress) socks, having gone directly from work. So, I felt like an ice cube.

So, having 'learned' from this experience, I purchased an Under Armor cold weather undershirt and some nice socks. It was a bit better, but the wind was bitter cold and I was still shivering. I noticed that some of the others wore Majestic heavy pull overs. Does anyone else have them? What else can I do to keep comfortable and not be immobile ?
I assume you are talking about working the bases. I've done games in snow before and I've never been cold behind the dish. On the bases I always wore a sweat wicking shirt and sweatshirt under a heavy jacket. This normally did the trick. I also tried to run around in between innings to stay warm. Just standing in A is by far the worst.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

The Majestic jacket is great. You can also wear a regular black fleece under it for added warmth.

Try an Under Armour type face shield that covers your ears and face, too.

Hot Hands for your gloves and one in each of your pants pockets. I am only cold from the waist down on the bases. Plate, I'm fine.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 06:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

A lot of what makes you warm is personal and will vary based on your body style and cold tolerance. I usually have things underneath that do the trick, and sometimes layers works as well when you are working the plate or on the bases. Yes, you can get cold behind the plate if you do not have the right things underneath. I would rather be a little warm than a little cold any day. I would put a little more on at first and then see if you can tolerate being warm. I also think wearing gloves helps as well. You can always take them off at some point. I have a plate coat I wear early in the season and turtlenecks to wear under both plate gear or base coat. Also no one can tell you ultimately what is OK as long as it cannot be seen. I have had guys try to make jokes of what I have on but then they complain later how cold they were. A lot also depends on what time of day you are working games and what the wind is doing. It can be 50 degree but the wind chill can make it feel 30. Being on the bases you are obviously less mobile for most of the game so you need to be more warm there than on the plate.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Welcome to the Great Northwest!

It wore out but I loved my navy blue wool turtleneck! And I'm never without my McDavid's!

Remember, Shirt sleeve weather will be 60 degrees! And be careful when it gets to the 80's! By that time you will have acclimated and heatstroke is a real possibility.

And get good raingear.

Rita

Last edited by Rita C; Sun Feb 19, 2012 at 08:02pm.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

80's? When will that be? Don't make promises that the weather can't keep!!

Will you be at the WROC next weekend?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

80s can happen!

Yes I will. I will be helping (but not instructing)

Rita
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I said, "When it gets in the 80s". I made no promises it would happen this year or the next! Or ever! It didn't last year!

But it is more likely where you live than where we do. We are usually 5-10 degrees cooler than Seattle.

Rita
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

I will see you then. I will be going as a student, which will be different, as I'm usually an instructor..LOL. It will be fun hearing others ideas on things.

-----------------------
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Shoot...

It was 59 today and we wore the majestic pullover, not the jacket with sleeves on. We were very comfortable.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

59, sheeze, we may see that in July!!

-----------------------
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
59, sheeze, we may see that in July!!
Reminds me of the old joke about Minnesota, which has two seasons: winter, and July 15.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Get yourself a neck warmer. I wear mine under a mock turtleneck. It will make more of a difference than any single piece of cold gear. A lot of heat can escape around your neck and this will cut that down considerably. On really brutal days, I can pull it up over my ears (between innings of course).

Occasionally I will get a snide comment from a coach, and my response is always: "No, you can't borrow it."
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

In Minnesota, it finally warms up in the middle of May. I have a couple underarmour shirts, sweatshirts, a turtlneck, ear muffs, gloves, long johns and assorted other cold weather wear. I'm always warmer behind the plate. The bases, however when the wind is blowing, can be brutal.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 10:57am
Archaic Power Monger

I've heard great things about the Majestic jacket but would have no use for it down here. Some UnderAmour ColdGear tights would probably help keep the wind off.

There are also various light weight wind and water reistant layers sold by cycling and other outdoor shops that might fit the bill. I imagine you have one or two stores like that up in your neck of the woods.

How are you liking the PNW compared to the Bay Area? I considered a move up there...moved here instead.