The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Test Time

It is test time again here and I have some questions for the forum. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

With 1 out, R1 at 1st is stealing on the pitch when B2 hits a deep drive to left. R1 rounds 2nd completely stepping over the base and heads for 3rd. F7 catches the batted ball for the 2nd out. Seeing the F7 is in a position to catch B2's fly ball, R1 retreats, tagging 2nd on his way back. Before he reaches 1st, F7's errant throw back into the infield goes out of play. The umpire then awards R1 3rd base after the ball goes out of play after which the offensive head coach makes a dead ball appeal that R1 missed 2nd base.

A. The umpire calls R1 out on appeal for the 3rd out of the inning
B. The umpire sends R1 back to first stating that since the ball went out of play, the award and the missed base appeal cancel each other
C. Because of the last time by rule, the play stands with R1 at 3rd and two outs
D. None of the above are correct

^^^^^^^^^^

R2 is rounding third base and is obstructed by the 3rd baseman (as seen and called by the umpire). R2 then continues toward home where he maliciously runs over the catcher before scoring. The correct call is…

A. The obstruction takes precedence; award R2 home
B. The malicious contact takes precedence; call R2 out and eject him
C. Since each team committed a violation, go back and replay the entire situation with the same count on the batter
D. Since the malicious contact followed the obstruction; award R2 home on the obstruction, then eject him for malicious contact

^^^^^^^^^^

Several players bat out of order so that a player's time at bat occurs while he is a runner, the correct ruling is:

A. The player remains on base and an out is awarded to the defense.
B. The player remains on base, but he is not out for batting out of order.
C. A player not in the game will run the bases while the proper batter takes his turn at bat.
D. The player is out and removed from the bases.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Do you have a question about these? You won't learn much if we just tell you the answers.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwuzthat View Post
It is test time again here and I have some questions for the forum. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

With 1 out, R1 at 1st is stealing on the pitch when B2 hits a deep drive to left. R1 rounds 2nd completely stepping over the base and heads for 3rd. F7 catches the batted ball for the 2nd out. Seeing the F7 is in a position to catch B2's fly ball, R1 retreats, tagging 2nd on his way back. Before he reaches 1st, F7's errant throw back into the infield goes out of play. The umpire then awards R1 3rd base after the ball goes out of play after which the offensive head coach makes a dead ball appeal that R1 missed 2nd base.

A. The umpire calls R1 out on appeal for the 3rd out of the inning
B. The umpire sends R1 back to first stating that since the ball went out of play, the award and the missed base appeal cancel each other
C. Because of the last time by rule, the play stands with R1 at 3rd and two outs
D. None of the above are correct

^^^^^^^^^^

R2 is rounding third base and is obstructed by the 3rd baseman (as seen and called by the umpire). R2 then continues toward home where he maliciously runs over the catcher before scoring. The correct call is…

A. The obstruction takes precedence; award R2 home
B. The malicious contact takes precedence; call R2 out and eject him
C. Since each team committed a violation, go back and replay the entire situation with the same count on the batter
D. Since the malicious contact followed the obstruction; award R2 home on the obstruction, then eject him for malicious contact

^^^^^^^^^^

Several players bat out of order so that a player's time at bat occurs while he is a runner, the correct ruling is:

A. The player remains on base and an out is awarded to the defense.
B. The player remains on base, but he is not out for batting out of order.
C. A player not in the game will run the bases while the proper batter takes his turn at bat.
D. The player is out and removed from the bases.
8-2-6-1-l

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

3-3-1-n Penalty
8-3-2

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

7-1-2 Note
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Those don't seem too tough to me. (I do agree they could be better / more clear with a little tweaking.)
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

I'm assuming we're talking about FED rules, since someone is trying a dead ball appeal. Or, is that part of a trick question?
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Play 1: I have this as a last time by play.

Play 2: I have malicious contact superseding the OBS, then page 29 3-3-1 n Penalty is enforced.

Play 3: Was there an appeal?
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Play 3: Was there an appeal?
I don't think it matters, but the actions must have been "noticed" or the play couldn't happen.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Why are we answering FED test questions for a poster? That is the poster's job to find his/her answers. If the poster has a specific question, let him/her word the question pertaining to what they do not understand. Otherwise, we may as well post the entire FED test and post the answers, too.

JMHO
Old Thu Feb 16, 2012, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

These are not on the Fed test. Illinois test.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Here is one from the IHSA (Illinois) test that I have an issue with:

With R1 at 1st, one out, R1 is stealing on the pitch. B3 hits a line drive to F3's right. F3 dives and catches the ball for the second out. While F3 is lying on the ground, R1 dives over F3's prone body and gets back to first base before F3 is able to tag either R1 or the base.

A. R1 is guilty of interference
B. R1 is out for diving over F3
C. F3 is guilty of obstruction and R1 is awarded second base
D. Legal play

According to 8-4-2b(2): Runners are never required to slide, but if a runner elects to slide, the slide must be legal. (2-32-1, 2) Jumping, hurdling, and leaping are all legal attempts to avoid a fielder as long as the fielder is lying on the ground. Diving over a fielder is illegal.

PENALTY: The runner is out. Interference is called and the ball is dead immediately. On a force-play slide with less than two outs, the runner is declared out, as well as the batter-runner. Runners shall return to the bases occupied at the time of the pitch. With two outs, the runner is declared out. The batter is credited with a fielder’s choice.

My guess is that "B" is the answer they are looking for. However, it seems to me that they should accept "A" as well. What say you?
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

This isn't one of those Referee-style tests where you can select both A and B?
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
This isn't one of those Referee-style tests where you can select both A and B?
No, sir. Only one answer is allowed.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

I just found a play in the case book that makes me think "B" must be the correct answer.

8.4.2 SITUATION V: R1 is advancing toward second base on a ground ball by B2 and is obstructed by F4. R1, in an attempt to avoid F4, dives over the top of F4.
RULING: R1 is declared out immediately, and unless he makes contact or alters the play of F4, the ball remains live. The act of obstruction is superseded by the act of diving over a fielder.

If diving over a fielder were considered interference, I believe we would have an immediate dead ball. I suppose I just answered my own question, although it seems like the rules book is a bit misleading here.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83 View Post
According to 8-4-2b(2):
Wrong reference.

Try 8-4-2d.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Wrong reference.