The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 09:37am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Exclamation Umpire Uniforms

There is some talk in Florida about the FHSAA making it a requirement that officials buy uniforms from Honigs and no where else to make everyone match in color and style. The word that I got, is that officials will be forced to wear the poly-wool pant, $70, and they can not be washed, they must be drycleaned.

Keep in mind, Florida officials have not seen a game fee increase in 7 years. The mileage/travel fee does not even match the federal rate per mile. Any thoughts from Florida officials? Many I have talked to said that if they are forced into this specific pair of pants they will quit due to the high cost per pair of pants along with the requirement for dry cleaning driving costs to the point that umpire will have to pay to call ball rather than be paid to call ball.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 10:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,729
!

All you need is some cheese.

T
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 04:49pm
JJ JJ is offline
Veteran College Umpire
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IN
Posts: 1,122
I've worn poly-wools from Honig's for years and I machine wash and tumble dry them every time I wear them, and they hold up just fine. Just my 2 cents.

JJ
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 04:51pm
Moderator M-800
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
Here's your change...
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 09:39pm
Is this a legal title?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 360
The high school state association where I live "requires" blue shirts only, and all-black shoes. I ignore them both, and work 30 dates in an eight-week season.

They can require whatever they want in a uniform, but compliance is voluntary. You're an independent contractor. They can exclude you from the state tournament, but they can't keep you from working.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 11:53pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
The high school state association where I live "requires" blue shirts only, and all-black shoes. I ignore them both, and work 30 dates in an eight-week season.

They can require whatever they want in a uniform, but compliance is voluntary. You're an independent contractor. They can exclude you from the state tournament, but they can't keep you from working.

Publius:

I don't know where you live, BUT, you may be an independent contractor, but if your StateHSAA has a required uniform I would advise you to wear it. The OhioHSAA can fine an official up to $100 for not wearing the correct uniform, i.e., wearing a powder blue or red shirt to umpire a baseball or fastpitch softball game, or wearing the gray with black pinstripe shirts for a basketball game (and I really do prefer the gray shirts over the zebra shirts myself). Meaning, that they can keep you from officiating.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 12:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Publius:

I don't know where you live, BUT, you may be an independent contractor, but if your StateHSAA has a required uniform I would advise you to wear it. The OhioHSAA can fine an official up to $100 for not wearing the correct uniform, i.e., wearing a powder blue or red shirt to umpire a baseball or fastpitch softball game, or wearing the gray with black pinstripe shirts for a basketball game (and I really do prefer the gray shirts over the zebra shirts myself). Meaning, that they can keep you from officiating.

MTD, Sr.
The only way that uniform standards can really be enforced at the high school level is by local associations. The state bodies don't have the time or manpower to ensure that every official is dressed properly. That may be different in some places, but I know that a lot of baseball umpires in this area ignore the navy-only shirt/jacket/hat rule that the state governing body has. The only time everyone follows it is in the district and state tournaments.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 01:25am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NorCal
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetItRight View Post
There is some talk in Florida about the FHSAA making it a requirement that officials buy uniforms from Honigs and no where else to make everyone match in color and style. The word that I got, is that officials will be forced to wear the poly-wool pant, $70, and they can not be washed, they must be drycleaned.

Keep in mind, Florida officials have not seen a game fee increase in 7 years. The mileage/travel fee does not even match the federal rate per mile. Any thoughts from Florida officials? Many I have talked to said that if they are forced into this specific pair of pants they will quit due to the high cost per pair of pants along with the requirement for dry cleaning driving costs to the point that umpire will have to pay to call ball rather than be paid to call ball.
incorrect I wash my polywools all the time.. use cold water, and hang dry them.. done easy.. how do you think MiLB guys do it while on the road?
__________________
"My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 05:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 769
Send a message via AIM to yawetag Send a message via Yahoo to yawetag
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
The state bodies don't have the time or manpower to ensure that every official is dressed properly.
The coaches, however, could report such instances to the state.
__________________
Andrew Senger
MSHSAA Certified Baseball Umpire
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. He's also postmaster and probably traffic cop, too. All the jobs for sports referees are probably filled, though." --Lemel Hebert-Williams
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 07:18am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
The only way that uniform standards can really be enforced at the high school level is by local associations. The state bodies don't have the time or manpower to ensure that every official is dressed properly. That may be different in some places, but I know that a lot of baseball umpires in this area ignore the navy-only shirt/jacket/hat rule that the state governing body has. The only time everyone follows it is in the district and state tournaments.
Enforcement is a separate issue. Publius's point concerns a legal principle: whether state associations can mandate uniforms for independent contractors.

I will patiently explain again: the mandate is not for independent contractors as such. The mandate is for licensed officials. It is then up to member schools whether they hire independent contractors who have a state license.

Around here, schools want licensed officials, so the mandated uniform is de facto required if you want to umpire high school baseball.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 09:16am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
The coaches, however, could report such instances to the state.
In this area, no coaches that I know of care what uniform we're wearing. I guess if one really had a vendetta against a certain official, they could report it, but I haven't seen that happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Enforcement is a separate issue. Publius's point concerns a legal principle: whether state associations can mandate uniforms for independent contractors.

I will patiently explain again: the mandate is not for independent contractors as such. The mandate is for licensed officials. It is then up to member schools whether they hire independent contractors who have a state license.

Around here, schools want licensed officials, so the mandated uniform is de facto required if you want to umpire high school baseball.
I get what you're saying. I realize enforcement is different than the principle. Around here, the associations come right out and say that as long as you match, it doesn't matter
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 09:42am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northwest suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 645
My Poly-wools went through a rough Spring and still look brand new. I machine wash and hang them to dry. Dry cleaning is over kill.

Uniform, by its very definition, means everyone looks the same. I am not a fan of having to buy six different color shirts so that I can match my partner. Still, I am with you on having only one vendor to buy from. Competition is good in this economy.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 10:24am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 152
'Round these parts, every umpire is required to have the navy shirt so at least all have one matching shirt. However, if you and your partner want to wear something else, any color is fair game as long as you match. The coaches couldn't care less, nor could the state association.
__________________
Never argue with idiots...they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 915
If they tell you to wear Navy you gotta wear Navy. That aside ever since the switch from heather gray to gray they're making me nuts and I've given up trying to match my partner. There are a half dozen vendors out there all of the gray pants are different. I have Honigs for no particular reason. But I'm not buying plate and base pants from Davis, Smittys, Officials Choice etc. just to match my partner. However if a particular conference or organization says I must wear a particualair pair of pants I'll do so if I want to work for them. If you don't want to buy the pants don't work for them.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetItRight View Post
There is some talk in Florida about the FHSAA making it a requirement that officials buy uniforms from Honigs and no where else to make everyone match in color and style. The word that I got, is that officials will be forced to wear the poly-wool pant, $70, and they can not be washed, they must be drycleaned.

Keep in mind, Florida officials have not seen a game fee increase in 7 years. The mileage/travel fee does not even match the federal rate per mile. Any thoughts from Florida officials? Many I have talked to said that if they are forced into this specific pair of pants they will quit due to the high cost per pair of pants along with the requirement for dry cleaning driving costs to the point that umpire will have to pay to call ball rather than be paid to call ball.
You don't like it don't work for FHSAA. We didn't have this problem with heathergray did we? FYI I dry clean my poly wools depending upon conditions you can go pretty far between dry cleanings so to speak.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New NFL Uniforms? ref18 Football 45 Tue May 30, 2006 12:29pm
MLB Uniforms SF Baseball 36 Thu Jul 15, 2004 09:46am
Uniforms JMN Football 7 Tue Aug 12, 2003 02:42pm
Uniforms Buckeye12 Basketball 2 Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:00pm
ASA umpire uniforms Dakota Softball 11 Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:12pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1