The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

A little help

As I wrap up my umpire season (first), and look back and critique my year, I feel I had "trouble" with calling some interference and obstruction. No one play sticks out, but some plays I think I should have called or some maybe I should have called the other way. I was wondering if anyone can suggest some books, videos or online sites that may help me with this. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly, I don't think this requires a video. Re-read the rule. This is much simpler than people make it. First understand that you can't have both - there is no overlap; although you can definitely have neither. Then read and reread until it is crystal in your mind when the fielder has the right of way and the runner has to avoid. Then the opposite.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Fortunately you are starting in a career that has thousands of documented content, video and books on the internet. I have been doing this around 25 years and one thing for sure, you never know it all.

Not sure where your headed but, usually someone starts with LL or youth ball, progress to HS and college and at some point decides if they want or can go further. That is up to you and what else you do in your life. If your aim is Pro Ball and your in your twenties or early thirtes, go for it.

There is so much literature out there it is unbelievable. BRD "Baseball rules Differences" by Car Childress is really good at explaining the rule differences between HS, NCAA and Pro. Good book. There are good books on positioning and mechanics. College Mechanics Manual. Look into NASO, National association of Sporting Officials. Membership gets you a monthly magazine for officials in all sports. Good Ins. coverage. Join a local Associatin.

Basically, be like a sponge and suck up any piece advice you can. Take it all in and develope a style that works for you and fits into the scheme of all the rules and systems you work.

Most importantly, dont be lazy, husltle, know the rules better than your girl friend or wife, and always try to be as professional as possible.

Good Luck
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

just remenber that you do not have to call it asap--see the play if you think something is wrong--ask yourself what happened--figure it out then take your time and make the call--this should take you all of 10-15 seconds.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

It's great to be able to recite any rule in the book. But if you can't apply them in real time, and tell the differene between interference, obstruction and "that's nothing" in the single second that all three are in play, it's all worthless. Intersting, but worthless.

Here's some practical advice. Go work the bases in a Little League minors game. I kid you not. You will see more nutty plays in one game, than during a whole season of HS varsity ball. The unexpected is the norm with the little guys. They throw to the unexpected base, the run at the unexpected times, and the stand in the most unexpected places. Surprise is the umpires worst enemy (closely followed by an illfitting cup), and that's what you're served a large portion of with the midgets.

(p.s. 10-15 seconds is a really long time. Try to keep it to 3 seconds, tops)

Last edited by kylejt; Mon Oct 24, 2011 at 11:19pm.