The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
Just as the jump turn is more times than not a balk, that rarely gets called.
How do you figure?
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 01:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It wasn't a balk.
Quote:
How do you figure?
Yes. What is illegal about a jump turn as long as it gains ground toward the base?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 01:39am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Yes. What is illegal about a jump turn as long as it gains ground toward the base?

It is considered a move from the rubber.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 07:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
It is considered a move from the rubber.
Which is legal, as long as there is ground gained toward the base to which the pitcher is feinting or throwing. Where else would the jump turn or jab step (both legal) originate, the moon?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
J.M.

This picher clearly brings his leg up then half to three quarters down before he changes direction toward 2B. Absouletly a balk.
Coach JM (correctly) says "The INITIAL move does not commit him to pitch." By "initial move" he means the leg raise. You are now talking about lowering the leg. Since that lowering is not toward second, I agree that this prohibits him from throwing (or feinting) to second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevbrown View Post
Thanks guys for the feedback. I am learning a lot about balks this season and I appreciate your help.

An observation regarding the video, the announcer kept saying the balk was called because of the hesitation. I really thought the balk should have been because he did not step toward 2nd or home. Instead he stepped with his left foot about 6 inches from the rubber toward the 3rd base side. At that point he had not disengaged from the rubber with his pivot foot. So, I would call balk for not stepping toward ho e or 2nd. Would that make sense?
He balked multiple times. Award the runner home.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How do you figure?
Quote:

Matt, as Steve said here, as long as he gains distance toward first, it's legal. Obviously, with a jump turn, F1 has the directional part of the rule covered. What you will see is the non-pivot foot often lands behind the pivot foot, away from the base, hence, not gaining distance nor direction, therefore a balk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Coach JM (correctly) says "The INITIAL move does not commit him to pitch." By "initial move" he means the leg raise. You are now talking about lowering the leg. Since that lowering is not toward second, I agree that this prohibits him from throwing (or feinting) to second.

I agree Bob, it's not the raising of the leg, it's his downward motion that commits him to the pitch, again, it wasn't a direct step toward 2B. Sorry, J.M., if I mis-understood your post, I agree, it's not the initial movement.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Matt, as Steve said here, as long as he gains distance toward first, it's legal. Obviously, with a jump turn, F1 has the directional part of the rule covered. What you will see is the non-pivot foot often lands behind the pivot foot, away from the base, hence, not gaining distance nor direction, therefore a balk.
I'm having trouble understanding your worry. The free foot has to gain distance and direction toward 1B relative to where it was when F1 came set. I don't think you can do a jump turn toward 1B and fail to accomplish this.

The most common balk during a jump turn might be failing to throw to 1B.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I'm having trouble understanding your worry. The free foot has to gain distance and direction toward 1B relative to where it was when F1 came set. I don't think you can do a jump turn toward 1B and fail to accomplish this.

+1
I'm having trouble seeing how one might balk on this move short of simply falling over and tripping. You'd have to balk on purpose, almost.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 04:21pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Which is legal, as long as there is ground gained toward the base to which the pitcher is feinting or throwing. Where else would the jump turn or jab step (both legal) originate, the moon?
1. I don't think you even know what a jump turn is.

2. Who mentioned a jab step being the same as a jump turn.

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Tue Oct 18, 2011 at 04:23pm.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 04:23pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

Finally, someone who gets it.................
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
1. I don't think you even know what a jump turn is.

2. Who mentioned a jab step being the same as a jump turn.
1. I'm quite certain Steve (and you) know what a jump turn is.

2. The jab step and the jump turn are similar in that neither is mentioned in the (OBR) rules book, but both are legal by interpretation, and subjest to the same rules.

3. If you point is that F1 must throw the ball, that has nothing to do with the jump turn itself being legal (or not, depending on how it's performed)

4. Both of you need to stop the sniping at each other. It would be best, imo, if you just ignored each other.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Actually you might see one of three ways on a jump turn that the pitcher balks. As mentioned, he doesn't throw, he throws while still in the air, or as I mentioned, he fails to gain ground. It's not uncommon during a jump turn that the free foot will rotate around and land behind where the pivot foot was during his initial set. Hence, not gaining distance toward 1B and a balk. It's not one I generally look for however if a pitcher is using a jump turn exclusively, I tend to pay more attention to his feet position. I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut you'll see it this coming season.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's not uncommon during a jump turn that the free foot will rotate around and land behind where the pivot foot was during his initial set. Hence, not gaining distance toward 1B and a balk. It's not one I generally look for however if a pitcher is using a jump turn exclusively, I tend to pay more attention to his feet position. I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut you'll see it this coming season.
1. I've never seen that balk. F1 would have to be jumping backwards, away from 1B. Makes no sense.

2. I won't ever see it. (8.05 COMMENT)