The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Baseball's Unassisted Triple Plays Catcher

This play is apparently ensconced at Cooperstown as the only known F2 UTP "at any level of play" (High School). I guess they didn't notice the one by Harvard. It was essentially the R2,R3 squeeze play I had proposed earlier. So, Brian Rheault has a place in the HoF for pulling it off.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

I turned one in junior high. Runners on 1st and 3rd. Batter tried squeeze but popped it up just a step down the 3rd base line. I grabbed it, tagged the runner coming from 3rd, turned to throw to 1st but no one was covering so I sprinted down to 1st for the force. I know one was turned in the minors, and one was turned at Harvard in 1975.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2012, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Triple play at home, but not unassisted

Here’s a play from a 5A high school game back in the day (May 7, 1985). The winner becomes the district champ. I’m at the plate. (I always have the plate.)

R1, R2. B1 singles to center. R2 tries to score. Throw to the plate, slide, cloud of dust, tag, eyelash play: “He’s out!” The catcher pops up and sees B1 heading for second. But his good throw is dropped by the second baseman. He retrieves the ball and sees R1 trying to score. Throw to the plate, slide, cloud of dust, tag, eyelash play: “He’s out!” F2 jumps up and sees B1 trying for third. His good throw is bobbled by the third baseman, and the ball rolls out toward short. B1, intent on his “inside-the-park home run,” heads for home. Throw to the plate, slide, cloud of dust, tag, eyelash play: “He’s out!” Bobby, the coach at third, runs to the plate. “Dammit, Carl!” he yells. “He was safe!” My equally loud response brought down the house: “Which one?”
Old Sat Dec 01, 2012, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
R2 stealing third, R3 stealing home, BR bunts. Bunt lands right in front of the plate, catcher tags R3 and BR in the blink of an eye. When R2 breaks his leg on the way to third, F2 goes and tags him as well.
Nice - Well thought out. I like that you were able to do it without resorting to aliens; which is what I always do when asked these kind of questions.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2012, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Basketti View Post
I turned one in junior high. Runners on 1st and 3rd. Batter tried squeeze but popped it up just a step down the 3rd base line. I grabbed it, tagged the runner coming from 3rd, turned to throw to 1st but no one was covering so I sprinted down to 1st for the force. I know one was turned in the minors, and one was turned at Harvard in 1975.
Just a small correction: You sprinted to first for the appeal play on R1. That's not a force.

Rita