The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Professional Schools

I am currently debating on whether I should attend a professional umpire school this upcoming year. I will be starting my 10th year of officiating and have been told by some instructors (all amateur, none professional) that I should attend one as my skills are good and can become much better with the help of the clinic. I have the luxury of being able to have the time and money to attend a clinic if I do choose to. I am not necessarily looking to become a professional umpire, but to tone my skills. I have looked into Jim Evans 5 week school in addition to Wendelstedt's 2 week and 5 week school. What are everyone's thoughts on these schools in addition to attending one? Thanks in advance for any information given.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:06pm
Veteran College Umpire

I went to Wendelstedt's 5 week school when I was 34 with the thought of taking a pro job if it was offered and improving my skills to better my local chances of moving up if I wasn't offered a pro job. Harry ultimately told me "We'll hire you but you'll die in minor league ball", so I came home and contacted every college within 100 miles of where I lived. This was all before assignors, but all the schools hired me sight unseen because of the schooling.
I had umpired HS and juco ball before I went to the school, and within 2 years of coming back from the school I was doing a full D1 schedule.
If you have the time and money, do one of the full-blown schools. You won't regret it.

JJ
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 05:44pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnhbua93 View Post
Harry had said the same thing to many people. He was a business man, anything to make the customer happy and build the ego. By the way I also graduated from Wendelstedt Umpire School. If you don't have any ambitions of going to pro ball, my honest suggestion is to wait until Evans resolve the lawsuit against MiLB and go to his 5 week course. But is up to you. You had read 2 Wendelstedt graduates with their opinions.
Evans is just a money grabber now. Go with Harry 100%
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

If you are going to get a job go to the Umpire School(PBUC). If you're going to get better go to Harry's or PBUC.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the responses everyone. I completely forgot about the PBUC. After delving more into it and reading everyone's responses, I think that I am leaning towards the PBUC school.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

I went to the PBUC school last January and found it terrific -its first class and only 35 of us (you won't find that small a class ever again at a pro school!). At my age, I did not go there to find a job in MiLB, just to improve... (And a bucket list kind of thing, too.)

It's only four weeks compared to Wendelstedt's five week program, but it's a full four weeks Monday thru Saturday. Generally, rules and mechanics classroom instruction in the AM and field/cage mechanics in the PM with two or more occasional evening meetings every week (to review videos, for example). You're trained by the top MiLB umpire/evaluators (many who have had MLB experience). You're housed, fed, and taught right there in "Dodgertown" - now the Vero Beach Sports Complex. It's a great all-in-one campus and the closeness of everyone there makes for great comradery. (I remember the times when several of us would get together and go out onto the fields in the evening to practice our mechanics under the lights, sometimes just a light.)

One thing for sure at these pro schools, you will be stripped of much of what you have learned before and begin with instruction in the basics (fundamentals) to get you on a solid professional footing...
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:44am
In Time Out

Quote:
Mr. Tyler, Evans is not having the 5 week course this year so my suggestion is to turn down your finger a notch. As I stated before in my opinion to the OP he should wait until Evans resolve the situation. And I reaffirm that being a Wendelstedt graduate.
If it was going to be resolved, It should have taken place by now. He's peddling more products than a gypsy at his website.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
If it was going to be resolved, It should have taken place by now. He's peddling more products than a gypsy at his website.
You speak as if you know what you are talking about. Reality is that you have zero idea of what you are talking about.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 07:24am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Evans is just a money grabber now. Go with Harry 100%
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Copyright Attourney?

Evans should drop the lawsuit to develop MLB umpires. What was it producing, 20 grads a year?

He should then publish and sell his baseball rule book, case notes and historical accounts to the general public. Let MLB takes him to court and allow the publisher to fight his battle in court. Then he can counter that he owned the educational right to that material. I just think there is more money in it for him.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 03:12am
In Time Out

Quote:
+2 You have no clue what you are talking about plus everything that goes behind the scene.

If I was doing a game with you I will be with my eyes wide open, because I will doubt that you have my back on the field but I will have yours no matter the way you are.
Whatever.......................................... . I just call it like I see it. I have my personal reasons, ok. It has nothing to do with Mr. Evans himself.

I know more than you think I do. It's still be a good old boys club, so don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
One thing for sure at these pro schools, you will be stripped of much of what you have learned before and begin with instruction in the basics (fundamentals) to get you on a solid professional footing...
So how early in a career should one go to this type of school?

I'm just starting out in high school ball, but i have aspirations(?) of making it much further. If they're going to "strip me of the fundamentals" i'm learning now, why delay it? How many years do i wait, learning the supposed "wrong fundamentals" ????
All the worlds great civilizations have followed the same path. From bondage to liberty, liberty to abundance, abundance to complacency, complacency to apathy, apathy back to bondage. If we are to be the exception to history, then we must break the cycle; for those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2012, 08:11am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed2You View Post
So how early in a career should one go to this type of school?

I'm just starting out in high school ball, but i have aspirations(?) of making it much further. If they're going to "strip me of the fundamentals" i'm learning now, why delay it? How many years do i wait, learning the supposed "wrong fundamentals" ????
Incorrect fundamentals seem to be much less common now than 20 years ago (at least around here), partly due to more amateur umpires getting professional training and sharing it with their associations.

At least one of the pro schools will accept students right out of high school but encourages them to attend college first. The reality is that nearly all pro school graduates will need to find non-baseball employment, and they'll be disadvantaged by lack of a degree.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 06:36pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Hail to the King Tyler. Hahahahahahahahahahaha. I don't have personal reason, I have objective reasons of what is right and what is wrong.
Personal reason makes sense. An objective reason? What the hell is that?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 08:36pm
Archaic Power Monger

Enough.