Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWolf View Post
Ok, I did read it:

7.09 It is interference by a batter or a runner when:
(f) If, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play, the ball is dead. The umpire shall call the runner out for interference and also call out the batter-runner because of the action of his teammate. In no event may bases be run or runs scored because of such action by a runner.

This rule references the batted ball but still says the same thing. Willfully and deliberately interferes...
You've umpired a game or two, yes? Surely by now you recognize the difference between a batted ball and a thrown ball by now, yes? (Your previous rule-site was actually the correct one, despite you being told otherwise... the rule you quoted refers to what happens to the BR when "a preceding runner..." interferes.

However, THIS play is not interference.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I don't see any butterflies on the field.

Both are equally relevant to this play.
A prior post had referenced the PBUC with the bona fide term used. Does the PBUC pertain to MLB play?
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
A prior post had referenced the PBUC with the bona fide term used. Does the PBUC pertain to MLB play?
No, it doesn't.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No, it doesn't.
More than likely the MLBUM which does pertain to MLB might have contained or still does contain that language also. Whether Joe Torre wants that language to be adhered to is a different question.

Freeze the clip at 25 seconds and you will see what is probably a violation of the latter paragraphs of the PBUC verbiage.

In real time, a judgement call.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 06:47pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
So, why is this illegal? There is no rule against breaking up a double play.
Yeah, I agree with you Matt.

I suppose. Maybe we have two of the three...I think we have "willful," I think we have "deliberate," but I don't think we have "unsportsmanlike"

Maybe it's not under straight OBR.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
More than likely the MLBUM which does pertain to MLB might have contained or still does contain that language also. Whether Joe Torre wants that language to be adhered to is a different question.

Freeze the clip at 25 seconds and you will see what is probably a violation of the latter paragraphs of the PBUC verbiage.

In real time, a judgement call.
Agreed that MLBUM contains it (iirc), and that it's judgment, and that the judgment might have been "wrong" and that even if MLB says it's wrong we might not know that.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have INT here under pure OBR. Holliday could have reached the bag if his arm wasn't a foot above the ground.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2011, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Agreed that MLBUM contains it (iirc), and that it's judgment, and that the judgment might have been "wrong" and that even if MLB says it's wrong we might not know that.
From what I have heard, Bob, it is MLB's opinion, albeit a quiet one, that a DP interference should, in fact, have been called.