The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Malicious Contact (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/75595-malicious-contact.html)

Gulf Coast Blue Mon Jul 25, 2011 08:52pm

Malicious Contact

I was told by someone that Babe Ruth, Legion, and NCAA baseball do not have malicious contact rules. I am 99% sure they do........just checking.

Thanks.

Joel

jkumpire Mon Jul 25, 2011 08:57pm

:) :) :) You are correct.

MikeStrybel Mon Jul 25, 2011 09:20pm

Not exactly.

The NCAA has rulings about flagrant and malicious contact regarding collisions. See pages 103 and 104 in the current rule book - 8-7 handles it, while 2-30 on page 32 defines it as "A collison between a base runner and a fielder in which the runner maliciously attempts to dislodge the ball.

The 2011 Rules Meetings showed numerous videos and the 2011 NCAA Baseball Supplement has six paragraphs on page 12 emphasizing the particulars. The runner must not attempt to dislodge the ball and avoid a collison if he can reach the base without colliding.

In NCAA baseball, a runner who violates the rule is out. Malicious contact also results in an ejection.

Good luck.

Gulf Coast Blue Mon Jul 25, 2011 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkumpire (Post 774943)
:) :) :) You are correct.

Thanks......I was able to find the NCAA rule. I did not go hunting a legion book.

Thanks again.

Joel

jkumpire Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 774950)
Not exactly.

The NCAA has rulings about flagrant and malicious contact regarding collisions. See pages 103 and 104 in the current rule book - 8-7 handles it, while 2-30 on page 32 defines it as "A collison between a base runner and a fielder in which the runner maliciously attempts to dislodge the ball.

The 2011 Rules Meetings showed numerous videos and the 2011 NCAA Baseball Supplement has six paragraphs on page 12 emphasizing the particulars. The runner must not attempt to dislodge the ball and avoid a collison if he can reach the base without colliding.

In NCAA baseball, a runner who violates the rule is out. Malicious contact also results in an ejection.

Good luck.

Mike,

Just to point out one minor issue here: FED has the same provision, though the language is different. You can have interference on contact that is not malicious. BR, Legion, and other rules codes follow the FED language here.

Gulf Coast Blue Tue Jul 26, 2011 03:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkumpire (Post 774983)
Mike,

Just to point out one minor issue here: FED has the same provision, though the language is different. You can have interference on contact that is not malicious. BR, Legion, and other rules codes follow the FED language here.

I called Legion and Jr. Teenage ball (which I think is Babe Ruth now) in the late 70's and into the 80's.......they had few provisions for safety like it is written now. But I do remember they all still had language that prohibited flagrant contact.

Thanks again.

Joel

MD Longhorn Tue Jul 26, 2011 08:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 774950)
Not exactly.

Good luck.

Muh... what? How is this "not exactly" having rules about malicious contact?

SAWolf Tue Jul 26, 2011 08:24am

And MLB?

And MLB? Are there any malicious contact or unsafe play rules there? :confused:

David B Wed Jul 27, 2011 07:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue (Post 774941)
I was told by someone that Babe Ruth, Legion, and NCAA baseball do not have malicious contact rules. I am 99% sure they do........just checking.

Thanks.

Joel

Most of our Legion teams played FED during the summer, but I don't remember what Legion uses now .... been several years ago since i've called any Legion teams.

Thanks
David

MrUmpire Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:09pm

Legion Rule Book, page 3, Rule 1 E (2) contains a highlighted box entitled "Malicious Contact" which begins: "Any player who, in the judgement of the umpire, maliciously contacts another player is automatically ejected, and, if the offender is a runner, is declared out."

MikeStrybel Wed Jul 27, 2011 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 775054)
Muh... what? How is this "not exactly" having rules about malicious contact?

I responded to the first two posts regarding Babe Ruth, Legion and NCAA baseball. Read them.

NCAA baseball has a FLAGRANT COLLISION rule, it is not called malicious contact, thus the 'not exactly'. I included all of their language and rules notations. Fed, Legion and a couple other rule sets call it 'Malicious Contact'.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jul 27, 2011 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue (Post 775017)
I called Legion and Jr. Teenage ball (which I think is Babe Ruth now) in the late 70's and into the 80's.......they had few provisions for safety like it is written now. But I do remember they all still had language that prohibited flagrant contact.

Thanks again.

Joel

It was like that when I was doing Pony, Colt, and Palomino in the mid-80's. Many leagues allowed and even encouraged Rose/Fosse style plays at the plate. I believe it was 88 or 89 before they started adding in safety rules at the local levels here.