The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Comments?

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | TB@MIL: Sveum, Roenicke ejected in the sixth - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

I think he got it wrong.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

I think he is a circus clown who needs a shave.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

TH's get one right... "Bob Davidson has been known for, um, seeing things a bit differently than anyone else..."

Bad call.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

I don't know how many times this season I have seen the PU keep a batter in the box after getting hit, but it is more than a few. Maybe they received some instruction on it. I was a bit more amazed at how he demonstrated the lean multiple times to Roenicke. It seems to go against the grain of what we see others doing.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I can't comment on the ejections since I don't know what was said.

I can say that I don't agree with Bob Davidson's judgment on this call. It is my opinion that he tends to be a little over officious.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I think he missed it but it shows how plays can look different from different angles -- so the next time a coach comes out to "discuss" a similar play in my game where I leave the batter at the plate, maybe the coach will be right.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think he missed it but it shows how plays can look different from different angles -- so the next time a coach comes out to "discuss" a similar play in my game where I leave the batter at the plate, maybe the coach will be right.
Yes, Bob, but how much weight are you going to take his opinion when deciding whether or not to change your opinion?
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I assume that Bob meant that given the kicked call here, a coach may be correct in thinking we did the same. While we learn how to handle situations from video like this, coaches learn that even the best boot calls and how to respond. Roenicke was right to challenge it, but obviously crossed a line. BD has a history of creating spotlights where none need be. The expected call was ignored for a more demonstrative one.

Warning - change of subject! I have noticed that MLB umpires are being more assertive on calls this year. Consider the check/half swing and you see many more being rung up than in the past. Maybe another instruction from above?
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 11:27am
Do not give a damn!!

I saw the same play called that way about a month ago. He did not try to get out of the way that is for sure. Not saying it is a good or bad call, just that the player allowed himself to get hit. I might have given him a pass on a fastball, but that looks close to me. And I can see why it was called that way.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Roenicke was right to challenge it, but obviously crossed a line.
No offense personally...

But this understanding is part of what's wrong with MLB, and it trickles down to our levels.

WHY is he right to challenge it. He might be right that the call was wrong... but what is the benefit from "challenging" it. I HATE this mentality. If the umpire's wrong ... then we MUST go yell at him about it. WHY?!?!?! At the highest levels all it does is waste time. At lower levels, it builds you an enemy that doesn't serve your purposes. I've never understood the assumption that anyone has a "right" or worse a "requirement" to go yell at the official.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Yes, Bob, but how much weight are you going to take his opinion when deciding whether or not to change your opinion?
I won't change the call, but rather than thinking "wtf is he out here for? that call was obvious" I might think "maybe he saw something else; i should remember to ask my partner."
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
No offense personally...

But this understanding is part of what's wrong with MLB, and it trickles down to our levels.

WHY is he right to challenge it. He might be right that the call was wrong... but what is the benefit from "challenging" it. I HATE this mentality. If the umpire's wrong ... then we MUST go yell at him about it. WHY?!?!?! At the highest levels all it does is waste time. At lower levels, it builds you an enemy that doesn't serve your purposes. I've never understood the assumption that anyone has a "right" or worse a "requirement" to go yell at the official.
At that level, to show his team and his players he is fighting for them and has their back when they think they've been wronged. Pretty basic stuff.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 03:10pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
I think he is a circus clown who needs a shave.

Why?
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
At that level, to show his team and his players he is fighting for them and has their back when they think they've been wronged. Pretty basic stuff.
Kind of childish then, don't you think? These millionaires need to see this to get support from their coach? Pah-lease. Somehow football coaches and hockey coaches can manage to garner the support of their troops without running out onto the field stopping the game to yell at someone. Why is it accepted as the norm in baseball?

West Houston Mike