Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Why?
Because of the scruff... you can see it right there in the video...

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 03:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Kind of childish then, don't you think? These millionaires need to see this to get support from their coach? Pah-lease. Somehow football coaches and hockey coaches can manage to garner the support of their troops without running out onto the field stopping the game to yell at someone. Why is it accepted as the norm in baseball?
Because baseball spends more time with these unwritten rules and traditions that other sports do not care about or does not matter. And this is why people here argue about what is a tradition they once did and unwilling to change. Just look at the umpires, we have guys that are worried about how the umpire explained the call as if that was totally unacceptable. That is why baseball holds onto stars that played 50 years ago and cannot believe that someone that just stopped playing could hit more home runs or were better athletes than some guy we never have seen much tape on. Because there are football coaches that would tell their players to be smart and to not worry about things that are happening to them, where as baseball coaches have to come out yelling or making it seem like they are yelling in order to foster the support of their players. It is a culture problem in baseball that does not seem to go away. And funny this is the least physical sport out of those and they seem to play the macho game a lot.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 05:06pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Because of the scruff... you can see it right there in the video...
It might have to do with fact he prefers not to shave before he does a plate game to avoid skin irritation. I didn't see any clown makeup either, but then again my eyes aren't what they used to be.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

As a coach, we are taught to teach the kids to do exactly what Morgan did to avoid injury. He took it on the shoulder blade. If he had "opened up" it could have hit his foearm or hand and broken a bone or it could have hit the bat and been a foul ball strike. Mr Davidson seems to enjoy injecting himself into the play of the game with balk calls that nobody else can see and calls like this. I don't understand why he still has a job at the MLB level.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

The reason some of us are concerned over how many times he demonstrated the reason for the call is that it controverts what is being taught at the highest levels. BD showed the wing - in error no less - multiple times.

I have enjoyed coaching my son for the past couple seasons. During that time, umpires have kicked calls that hurt our chances to win. If you have to wonder why a baseball coach would contest a call then I suggest you try coaching at the youth level some time. While other professional sports have adopted replay, baseball has maintained tradition and not. While it may have not helped on calls like this, it has changed the way other games are called. Most of us know that if a coach asks a question, we will do our best to answer it. If they confront, we respond accordingly. It looks like Roenicke wanted an explanation and then became angry at BD's reaction to the bench baiting.

It was right for the manager to question the call. BD blew it and a number of us have agreed to that point. He is still a great umpire and can officiate rings around all of us. Millionaires or not, complacency exists in professional sports. Passion amongst managers is also involved in these highstakes contests. Roenicke may have also been told by the clubhouse replay guys that they were screwed on the call. He argued, crossed a line and was tossed. BD will have his call evaluated and may lose out on post season assignments if they add up. That's pro ball for ya'll.

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Fri Jun 24, 2011 at 07:24pm.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Good thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I won't change the call, but rather than thinking "wtf is he out here for? that call was obvious" I might think "maybe he saw something else; i should remember to ask my partner."
I like that thought process. This play was an example of how an umpire can completely just blow a call, and in his mind, he probably thought he had it right until he went and watched it on video.

Thanks
David