The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Comments? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/73263-comments.html)

jwwashburn Fri Jun 24, 2011 07:29am

Comments?

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | TB@MIL: Sveum, Roenicke ejected in the sixth - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

GerryB Fri Jun 24, 2011 07:35am

I think he got it wrong.

jwwashburn Fri Jun 24, 2011 07:53am

I think he is a circus clown who needs a shave.

MD Longhorn Fri Jun 24, 2011 08:43am

TH's get one right... "Bob Davidson has been known for, um, seeing things a bit differently than anyone else..."

Bad call.

MikeStrybel Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:04am

I don't know how many times this season I have seen the PU keep a batter in the box after getting hit, but it is more than a few. Maybe they received some instruction on it. I was a bit more amazed at how he demonstrated the lean multiple times to Roenicke. It seems to go against the grain of what we see others doing.

rbmartin Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:12am

I can't comment on the ejections since I don't know what was said.

I can say that I don't agree with Bob Davidson's judgment on this call. It is my opinion that he tends to be a little over officious.

bob jenkins Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:32am

I think he missed it but it shows how plays can look different from different angles -- so the next time a coach comes out to "discuss" a similar play in my game where I leave the batter at the plate, maybe the coach will be right. ;)

yawetag Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 768335)
I think he missed it but it shows how plays can look different from different angles -- so the next time a coach comes out to "discuss" a similar play in my game where I leave the batter at the plate, maybe the coach will be right. ;)

Yes, Bob, but how much weight are you going to take his opinion when deciding whether or not to change your opinion? :)

MikeStrybel Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:02am

I assume that Bob meant that given the kicked call here, a coach may be correct in thinking we did the same. While we learn how to handle situations from video like this, coaches learn that even the best boot calls and how to respond. Roenicke was right to challenge it, but obviously crossed a line. BD has a history of creating spotlights where none need be. The expected call was ignored for a more demonstrative one.

Warning - change of subject! I have noticed that MLB umpires are being more assertive on calls this year. Consider the check/half swing and you see many more being rung up than in the past. Maybe another instruction from above?

JRutledge Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:27am

I saw the same play called that way about a month ago. He did not try to get out of the way that is for sure. Not saying it is a good or bad call, just that the player allowed himself to get hit. I might have given him a pass on a fastball, but that looks close to me. And I can see why it was called that way.

Peace

MD Longhorn Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeStrybel (Post 768338)
Roenicke was right to challenge it, but obviously crossed a line.

No offense personally...

But this understanding is part of what's wrong with MLB, and it trickles down to our levels.

WHY is he right to challenge it. He might be right that the call was wrong... but what is the benefit from "challenging" it. I HATE this mentality. If the umpire's wrong ... then we MUST go yell at him about it. WHY?!?!?! At the highest levels all it does is waste time. At lower levels, it builds you an enemy that doesn't serve your purposes. I've never understood the assumption that anyone has a "right" or worse a "requirement" to go yell at the official.

bob jenkins Fri Jun 24, 2011 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 768337)
Yes, Bob, but how much weight are you going to take his opinion when deciding whether or not to change your opinion? :)

I won't change the call, but rather than thinking "wtf is he out here for? that call was obvious" I might think "maybe he saw something else; i should remember to ask my partner."

TussAgee11 Fri Jun 24, 2011 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 768345)
No offense personally...

But this understanding is part of what's wrong with MLB, and it trickles down to our levels.

WHY is he right to challenge it. He might be right that the call was wrong... but what is the benefit from "challenging" it. I HATE this mentality. If the umpire's wrong ... then we MUST go yell at him about it. WHY?!?!?! At the highest levels all it does is waste time. At lower levels, it builds you an enemy that doesn't serve your purposes. I've never understood the assumption that anyone has a "right" or worse a "requirement" to go yell at the official.

At that level, to show his team and his players he is fighting for them and has their back when they think they've been wronged. Pretty basic stuff.

Steven Tyler Fri Jun 24, 2011 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 768281)
I think he is a circus clown who needs a shave.

Why?

MD Longhorn Fri Jun 24, 2011 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TussAgee11 (Post 768353)
At that level, to show his team and his players he is fighting for them and has their back when they think they've been wronged. Pretty basic stuff.

Kind of childish then, don't you think? These millionaires need to see this to get support from their coach? Pah-lease. Somehow football coaches and hockey coaches can manage to garner the support of their troops without running out onto the field stopping the game to yell at someone. Why is it accepted as the norm in baseball?