The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Runner Interference

I was umpiring at tournament this weekend under NFHS rules. I had just finished my game and I was watching the game on the other field. It was 7-6, and in the bottom of the 7th inning, one out, runner on third. Batter hits a ground ball to F6 who throws it to F3 and gets the out. The batter stops running, and F3 throws the ball home. He makes a bad throw, and the runner on third scores. But wait, the umpires then both declare that the game is over. They called interference on the batter and called R3 out at home. The coaches threw a fit, and I talked to the BU after the game. I supported him to keep his confidence up, but I don't really know if it was the right call. I have looked at the Rules Book for the NFHS and haven't really found anything. Does anyone know if this was the correct call, simply curious?
Old Sun Jun 05, 2011, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collint1993 View Post
I was umpiring at tournament this weekend under NFHS rules. I had just finished my game and I was watching the game on the other field. It was 7-6, and in the bottom of the 7th inning, one out, runner on third. Batter hits a ground ball to F6 who throws it to F3 and gets the out. The batter stops running, and F3 throws the ball home. He makes a bad throw, and the runner on third scores. But wait, the umpires then both declare that the game is over. They called interference on the batter and called R3 out at home. The coaches threw a fit, and I talked to the BU after the game. I supported him to keep his confidence up, but I don't really know if it was the right call. I have looked at the Rules Book for the NFHS and haven't really found anything. Does anyone know if this was the correct call, simply curious?
Not enough information to answer. IF BR moved (or I suppose, didn't move) to intentionally interfere, then the call was correct.

If BR was just there, or if BU called it for some "running lane violation", then it was likely the wrong call.
Old Sun Jun 05, 2011, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collint1993 View Post
I have looked at the Rules Book for the NFHS and haven't really found anything. Does anyone know if this was the correct call, simply curious?
When you look it up, let us know what you find out about interference with a thrown ball.

Bob is right that this can't be running lane interference.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2011, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

We don't know. We weren't there. It certainly could have been right. Or wrong. Need a better description of the actions of the retired batter-runner.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
I had this one once. R3, less than two outs. B1 grounds to F1 who throws to F3 to retire B1 a good 25 feet from 1B. R3 breaks for home.

B1 continues to run at F3, speeding directly toward him. I back up, ready for the play at home.

U1 kills the play and calls R3 out for B1's INT. IMHO, a good call--obvious intent on behalf of B1.

It was hard to sell, but I whipped out ole 7.09(d).
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran View Post
B1 continues to run at F3, speeding directly toward him.
If F3 was still at the base, then I disagree. If F3 came off the base by a couple of steps, I agree.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2011, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I guarantee you that they called running lane interference. It a common rookie mistake to call RLI on a throw going to home plate.

And please don't tell us they were "highly experienced" because then I would have to call them morons.