The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

It is my understanding that the definition of offensive interence is as follows:

Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play. If the umpire declares the batter, batter-runner, or a runner out for interference, all other runners shall return to the last base that was in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference, unless otherwise provided by these rules.

I have read literature that the base path belongs to the runner and cannot be called for interference (unless intentional), except when a fielder is in the path attempting to field a batted ball or when a fielder is in the path and in possession of the ball. Where does it state that in the rules? In addition, it is my understanding that it is not interference when the short-stop that is not in the base path (let us say he is playing deep close to the outfield) attempts to field the ball but he cannot make a play (fumbles the ball) on the ball because his vision is obstructed by R-2 running in the base path in front of the short-stop. R-2 running to third does not break his stride or make any other movements out of the ordinary.
Is my understanding correct? How about if the runner jumps over the ball?
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Ther is no rule that says the basepath belongs to the runner.

Interference on a runner is:

7.09 It is interference by a batter or a runner when:

l) He fails to avoid a fielder who is attempting to field a batted ball, or intentionally interferes with a thrown ball, provided that if two or more fielders attempt to field a batted ball, and the runner comes in contact with one or more of them, the umpire shall determine which fielder is entitled to the benefit of this rule, and shall not declare the runner out for coming in contact with a fielder other than the one the umpire determines to be entitled to field such a ball;

m) A fair ball touches him on fair territory before touching a fielder. If a fair ball goes through, or by, an infielder, and touches a runner immediately back of him, or touches the runner after having been deflected by a fielder, the umpire shall not declare the runner out for being touched by a batted ball. In making such decision the umpire must be convinced that the ball passed through, or by, the fielder, and that no other infielder had the chance to make a play on the ball. If, in the judgment of the umpire, the runner deliberately and intentionally kicks such a batted ball on which the infielder has missed a play, then the runner shall be called out for interference.
PENALTY FOR INTERFERENCE: The runner is out and the ball is dead.

Note that intent is not required for the basic interference. Note that contact is not required.

If the runner is just running by (and perhaps jumping over the ball), and does nothing overt, he should not be guilty of interference as he is doing what is exoected and the fielder should know there will be a runner going by.

= = =

Obstruction by a fielder varies by rule code.

The base rule is:

2.00 OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

Some rules (LL and NCAA) eliminate the "in the act of foelding" part.
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mpklein
It is my understanding that the definition of offensive interence is as follows:

Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play. If the umpire declares the batter, batter-runner, or a runner out for interference, all other runners shall return to the last base that was in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference, unless otherwise provided by these rules.

I have read literature that the base path belongs to the runner and cannot be called for interference (unless intentional), except when a fielder is in the path attempting to field a batted ball or when a fielder is in the path and in possession of the ball. Where does it state that in the rules? In addition, it is my understanding that it is not interference when the short-stop that is not in the base path (let us say he is playing deep close to the outfield) attempts to field the ball but he cannot make a play (fumbles the ball) on the ball because his vision is obstructed by R-2 running in the base path in front of the short-stop. R-2 running to third does not break his stride or make any other movements out of the ordinary.
Is my understanding correct? How about if the runner jumps over the ball?
It is the initial attempt by the fielder. If the ball is bobbled by the fielder and brings him into the path of runner advancing to the following base, Obstruction can be called.

I can't recall the rule or case on that though, maybe someone can help out there. I know I have read it in the past but can't seem to find it.

Just to give an example called by my partner last year on the bases.

Two outs, R1 on 2nd, infield was playing in. Ball hit between shortstop and 2nd base. Ball passes F6, and while F6 is going after it, obstructs R1 going to 3rd. Collision occurs and F6 picks ball up and throws out R1 while sliding into 3rd.

Delayed dead ball, R1 gets third, B4 gets 1st.

[Edited by thumpferee on May 24th, 2003 at 11:41 AM]
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee

It is the initial attempt by the fielder. If the ball is bobbled by the fielder and brings him into the path of runner advancing to the following base, Obstruction can be called.
If by "brings" (him into the path of the runner) you mean "moves from the fielder's immediate reach", then I agree.

Quote:
I can't recall the rule or case on that though, maybe someone can help out there. I know I have read it in the past but can't seem to find it.
OBR: NAPBL 4.24, Play 4.

Old Sun May 25, 2003, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee

If by "brings" (him into the path of the runner) you mean "moves from the fielder's immediate reach", then I agree.

Quote:
OBR: NAPBL 4.24, Play 4.

Yes Bob, I meant immediate reach. Tnanks for the clarification. I didn't know you would be joining us or I woulda been a lil' more specific. LOL

And Thanks for the Reference and Play number Bob, appreciate it!