Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Who becomes coach?

FED rules...

Who would become the coach if the head coach is ejected and there is no assistant coach available?

I don't have rules or casebook at work with me.

Thanks.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
FED rules...

Who would become the coach if the head coach is ejected and there is no assistant coach available?

I don't have rules or casebook at work with me.

Thanks.
Game over by forfeit. Had one like this last year, my partner on bases EJ the HC and OC (only coach). Get on the bus gus.. The toss was well deserved.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Game over by forfeit. Had one like this last year, my partner on bases EJ the HC and OC (only coach). Get on the bus gus.. The toss was well deserved.
Do you have a rule or casebook #?
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

BEAREF,

There is no FED rule or case play that says the game is forfeit if the HC is ejected and there are no other coaches present.

I'm guessing that's a league/conference rule in DG's area.

JM
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

In Ohio, in all sports, we have the same ruling as DG's. If there is not a school-board approved coach or administrator to take over, the team is done. In a two-team game like baseball, the game is done too.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

In Iowa, the game is over

-Josh
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 09:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Each state determines the consequences. I'm not aware of any state that allows a high school competition to continue in any sport if there are no coaches available.

Each state would also set the standards for who can become a coach. If the AD/Principal/Superintendant/Bus Driver steps up and says they are the new coach, I'll let them (on the basketball court) and assume they meet whatever qualifications are set by my state. At that point, my ejection report would include all the information and I'd let the state sort it out.

Again, that's basketball, and the custom in baseball may be different.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

As mentioned, it varies from state to state. Here in Nevada, you have to have a member of the schools staff available, or it's game over by forfeit.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the responses. I will check with our state high school league.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Each state determines the consequences. I'm not aware of any state that allows a high school competition to continue in any sport if there are no coaches available.

Each state would also set the standards for who can become a coach. If the AD/Principal/Superintendant/Bus Driver steps up and says they are the new coach, I'll let them (on the basketball court) and assume they meet whatever qualifications are set by my state. At that point, my ejection report would include all the information and I'd let the state sort it out.

Again, that's basketball, and the custom in baseball may be different.
I have had this situation happen once. Between innings, I had the replacement "coach" write his name and phone number on the card. This information was forwarded to the state in my ejection report so they could follow up if needed.

Just wanted to elaborate on your point Snaq

-Josh
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

And . . .

In Oregon anyone who takes over must also be a Certified Graduate of the NFHS Coaching Class.

In our State the process is (let's say there are no other coaches after the HC is ejected) is "if" someone comes forward to coach the umpire is to ask: "are you certified by (insert school name) to coach?"

If the answer is: "yes" you follow the advice above get the name and phone number of the person and include it in your ejection report.

There are grave penalties if some one is not truthful when answering your question.

T
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I have had this situation happen once. Between innings, I had the replacement "coach" write his name and phone number on the card. This information was forwarded to the state in my ejection report so they could follow up if needed.
-Josh
Wow. Trusting. I'm not sure I'd have done this if the guy was not in uniform. He could literally be ANYONE, him writing down his name and number is nothing - either or both could be fabricated. He could even be someone previously banned from high school sports for any number of reasons (some rather problematical). You'd never know.

Better to end it and let the state sort it out.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

In CT, the game is over if there are no certified teachers in the dugout. No mommies or daddies allowed.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Wow. Trusting. I'm not sure I'd have done this if the guy was not in uniform. He could literally be ANYONE, him writing down his name and number is nothing - either or both could be fabricated. He could even be someone previously banned from high school sports for any number of reasons (some rather problematical). You'd never know.

Better to end it and let the state sort it out.
There has to be a reasonable due diligence in this matter. I don't ask the head coach to produce proof of state certification and three forms of identification to proof that he says who he is. Therefore, I'm going to use common sense and get the name and phone number of the guy and go from there. If something is a muck, the ejected coach isn't going to leave his team under the auspices of anyone random. He is going to tell the team to pack up and leave with him.

I don't know about you gentleman but I don't always carry my card that says I'm a state certified umpire. Maybe I should, but I don't.

-Josh
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I don't know about you gentleman but I don't always carry my card that says I'm a state certified umpire. Maybe I should, but I don't.
Sitting back in the dressing room (read: car trunk) right next to my rule books.

I think Name and phone number would be ok, I would also try to get a "normal" title from them (bus driver, groundskeeper, parent, ect.) and place that in the report as well.

A little more information in that situation could not hurt anyone.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Closed Thread