The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Just some bad announcer comments to make fun of

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | TOR@TB: Both managers, Upton ejected in game - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

I always enjoy some classic comments from announcers. The play at first is my favorite here. Apparently, Joe West had the best view of that tag. (According to the the men in the booth). And the home plate ump made that call from 90 feet away. (According to the men in the booth). The tag was on the home side. No way Joe could see it. Home plate ump should be drifting up the line. And he is a pro, so I have to assume he was there to see it. Looks like they got it right. "When in doubt, bange em out" right?
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIZFKU View Post
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | TOR@TB: Both managers, Upton ejected in game - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

I always enjoy some classic comments from announcers. The play at first is my favorite here. Apparently, Joe West had the best view of that tag. (According to the the men in the booth). And the home plate ump made that call from 90 feet away. (According to the men in the booth). The tag was on the home side. No way Joe could see it. Home plate ump should be drifting up the line. And he is a pro, so I have to assume he was there to see it. Looks like they got it right. "When in doubt, bange em out" right?
Looks like Joe had it right at first, and after their conference, the umpires changed to the wrong call.

B/R clearly had the bag before, (and if) he was tagged on the back.

Gotta love the new warm and fuzzy umpiring.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 01:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIZFKU View Post

Joe could've seen this tag, provided he:

(1) Read the bad throw
(2) Took a few quick steps
(3) Leaned and got a look at the tag

Look at the replay again. This time focus on how little Joe does during the play. Sad, really.

It's not the plate umpire's job to bail out base umpires on these plays. On top of that, there was an R2 at the start of the play. If he rounds third and keeps heading towards home, who's making the call at the plate?

Last edited by Rich; Mon May 09, 2011 at 01:43pm.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

I think they missed it on the changed call at 1B. But, I like Martinez's beard. I am jealous b/c I can't come close to something like that.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Joe is a human fire hydrant out there. He's needed to retire for some time now.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Question Mask

After watching the clip (or maybe clips) the shot of Fairchild ringing up Upton and the ensuing s#*t-storm that followed.

Why would you take off your mask at that point. I was taught not to remove the mask if someone is on you like that. Makes them think twice about taking a swing at you, and BJ definitely looked like he wanted to take a swing.

Thoughts?
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
After watching the clip (or maybe clips) the shot of Fairchild ringing up Upton and the ensuing s#*t-storm that followed.

Why would you take off your mask at that point. I was taught not to remove the mask if someone is on you like that. Makes them think twice about taking a swing at you, and BJ definitely looked like he wanted to take a swing.

Thoughts?
Have you EVER, ever, ever, ever seen an umpire punched at that level?

Mask on a good idea at OUR level.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Joe could've seen this tag, provided he:

(1) Read the bad throw
(2) Took a few quick steps
(3) Leaned and got a look at the tag

Look at the replay again. This time focus on how little Joe does during the play. Sad, really.

It's not the plate umpire's job to bail out base umpires on these plays. On top of that, there was an R2 at the start of the play. If he rounds third and keeps heading towards home, who's making the call at the plate?
That's really sad, West really needs to think about giving it up, but he won't until he's forced out.

That's a perfect example of lazy umpiring. Perhaps he had the call right to start with, but then he asked and changed it??

Don't see how PU could say that he was certain he saw the tag. You would think that West would say if you are not for sure, let's leave it as it is, but it looked like he was caught flat footed.

And MLB wonders why more and more the umpires are being scrutinized.

Thanks
David
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

West is crew chief. I feel sure he processed info provided to him and based on that made the call change. Can't see changing with one this close and feedback coming from 90 feet away on a tag but that is what was done.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 09:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
That's really sad, West really needs to think about giving it up, but he won't until he's forced out.

That's a perfect example of lazy umpiring. Perhaps he had the call right to start with, but then he asked and changed it??

Don't see how PU could say that he was certain he saw the tag. You would think that West would say if you are not for sure, let's leave it as it is, but it looked like he was caught flat footed.

And MLB wonders why more and more the umpires are being scrutinized.

Thanks
David
Clearly, the BR touched first before the tag. Another thing West would've seen had he bothered to read the throw and move.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 08:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post

Thoughts?
Upton is the son of a D-1 NCAA basketball official. He may have looked like he wanted to take a swing, but there is zero chance he would.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Upton is the son of a D-1 NCAA basketball official. He may have looked like he wanted to take a swing, but there is zero chance he would.
In the heat of the moment it doesn't matter who you're a son of (whether it be a D1 basketball official, the English Royal family, or a minister). People do wild things when they are displeased.

-Josh
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 08:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
In the heat of the moment it doesn't matter who you're a son of (whether it be a D1 basketball official, the English Royal family, or a minister). People do wild things when they are displeased.

-Josh
So, if you were/are still playing sports, are you apt to slug a ref or umpire if you get heated enough?

I would think your background and/or training would at some point click in before you crossed that line. I think that is true with most people. And as someone else pointed out, how many times had that happened at that level?

Last edited by Raymond; Tue May 10, 2011 at 08:57am.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Why did West feel the need to put his hands on the batter after his EJ? It looks to me as the coaches had him under enough control as to avoid a physical problem.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
Why did West feel the need to put his hands on the batter after his EJ? It looks to me as the coaches had him under enough control as to avoid a physical problem.
I guess the same reason he felt like looking like a bird about to take off at 1B. He doesn't care how bad he looks or messes things up, at least that is the appearance he is giving. As long as he stays on TV one way or another, he is happy. But, BJ was pretty upset and I think he felt it was necessary to be on the safe side of things.

But, putting your hands on a player can only spell disaster just like the PU who had to toss Jim Leyland for touching one of his players. Totally different situation but could have had the same reaction probably for anyone other than Joe West since he is the head of the WUA.