The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 04:19am
Official Forum Member

Stupid Announcer Comments during the NCAAs

I'm surprised the BktBallRef didn't already start a thread for this, but since he hasn't I'm going to get it going with what was said following the PC foul against VCU at 16:45 of the 1st half in their game with Duke.

Bob Wetzel said, "You know that call where you take a charge and you're under the basket is something interesting in college basketball. It's all up to the judgement of the officials. By rule, if you take it while you're under the basket it should be a good goal, and no foul."

This is precisely where the spectators get this stuff, and why they believe that they are right when they yell at the refs. I could smack this guy!
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

During the chat last night one of the announcers (don't remember which talking head) was talking up the Xavier vs Ohio State matchup and the battles of I-75. Well Ohio State and Xavier have played each other a grand total of THREE times in history (OSU leads 2-1 with Xavier winning the last in the NIT around 2002 or so)
Not to mention that I-75 links Cincinnati with Dayton and Toledo and never gets close to Columbus.

Oh and did you know Thad Matta used to coach Xavier?

Idiots!

Diebler for President 2008
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I'm surprised the BktBallRef didn't already start a thread for this, but since he hasn't I'm going to get it going with what was said following the PC foul against VCU at 16:45 of the 1st half in their game with Duke.

Bob Wetzel said, "You know that call where you take a charge and you're under the basket is something interesting in college basketball. It's all up to the judgement of the officials. By rule, if you take it while you're under the basket it should be a good goal, and no foul."

This is precisely where the spectators get this stuff, and why they believe that they are right when they yell at the refs. I could smack this guy!
I was wathing that game with my wife last night and when he said that, my wife looked at me and said "Wow, I didn't know that."

I turned to her and said, "Honey, that's because Bob Wetzel's a complete moron and it's not true."

Definitely the dumbest thing I heard all day from any of the announcers.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 10:39am
M.A.S.H.

I didn't hear this. Now if I hear this from a coach next year I'll know he was watching this game.

Actually, the only thing I heard the announcers say about the officiating was when they were actually stating they were doing a great job and had been all year. Then, I thought to myself...probably just trying to take up air time.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Since when has the annual thread been stupid announcer comments? I thought it was stupid Packer comments.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 04:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Since when has the annual thread been stupid announcer comments? I thought it was stupid Packer comments.
No, we give out an annual Billy Packer Award for dumbest comment of the tournament. Packer is, of course, not eligible, as it wouldn't be fair competition (although Gottlieb might give him a run for his money).
It's kinda like the Old School Award for dumbest post of the week.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
No, we give out an annual Billy Packer Award for dumbest comment of the tournament. Packer is, of course, not eligible, as it wouldn't be fair competition (although Gottlieb might give him a run for his money).
It's kinda like the Old School Award for dumbest post of the week.
Haven't you heard....there is some debate now as to whether or not they might be the same person...well not a lot of debate, I brought it up, and ummmm well no one disagrees
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Nevada - Creighton

How about Raftery with the statement on a foul call with about 3:00 minutes left in overtime. There was contact by two Nevada players (Fazekas and Shiloh) with Funk from Creighton and Raftery says that the officials should have given the foul to Shiloh instead of Fazekas, since the foul would give Fazekas his 5th. This, in spite of the replay showing it was obvious that Fazekas reached in an made contact with Funk's wrist, causing him to lose the ball.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmz17
How about Raftery with the statement on a foul call with about 3:00 minutes left in overtime. There was contact by two Nevada players (Fazekas and Shiloh) with Funk from Creighton and Raftery says that the officials should have given the foul to Shiloh instead of Fazekas, since the foul would give Fazekas his 5th. This, in spite of the replay showing it was obvious that Fazekas reached in an made contact with Funk's wrist, causing him to lose the ball.
I was initially ok with Raftery on that play, since he was calling it with his heart, and it was clear he was just disappointed about Fazekas fouling out of the game. Nobody expects Raftery to be a rules expert, and he wears his emotions on his sleeve, so it's different from Packer who gets all worked up and pretends to be an expert, and then embarrasses himself to those who know he's full of sh*t.

But then I agree with you that what was unforgivable about Raftery on that occasion was his continuing to adhere to his position while watching the replay, which was about as conclusive as a ref or fan could ever hope for on a call. Happily, his partner gently called bullsh*t on him.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 07:08pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Packer? Embarrassed? When?
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 10:44pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
By rule, if you take it while you're under the basket it should be a good goal, and no foul
I happened to see and hear that and thought to myself "Only in the NBA and NCAA-W."

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

"He just wants to win more than anyone else in the tournament." Can't remember who said it, but totally stupid!!!
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 12:49am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryrams
During the chat last night one of the announcers (don't remember which talking head) was talking up the Xavier vs Ohio State matchup and the battles of I-75. Well Ohio State and Xavier have played each other a grand total of THREE times in history (OSU leads 2-1 with Xavier winning the last in the NIT around 2002 or so)
Not to mention that I-75 links Cincinnati with Dayton and Toledo and never gets close to Columbus.

Idiots!

Diebler for President 2008

It should have been the battle of I-71.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryrams
Yes, and did you know that before that he was the head coach at Butler?
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, and did you know that before that he was the head coach at Butler?
And, even before that, he was the coach of the Hoopeston Cornjerkers.

It's true,...it's true...

(Used with permission.)