The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Dumb announcer

Anybody catch the Italy/Senegal game today? There was a play where the Italian player with the ball on the right side of the court lowered his shoulder into a moving Senegal player and was called for an offensive foul. It was a close call, but the Italian player did lower his shoulder and make contact. The official called an offensive foul and the announcers said, "That was a blown call. Italy has a right to complain! Another official should have come in and helped him out on that call!" Yeah, right....maybe if all three officials were ball-watching! How can announcers know so little about officiating and get those jobs?

Last edited by dave30; Tue Aug 22, 2006 at 03:22pm.
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30
Anybody catch the Italy/Senegal game today? There was a play where the Italian player with the ball on the right side of the court lowered his shoulder into a moving Senegal player and was called for an offensive foul. It was a close call, but the Italian player did lower his shoulder and make contact. The official called an offensive foul and the announcers said, "That was a blown call. Italy has a right to complain! Another official should have come in and helped him out on that call!" Yeah, right....maybe if all three officials were ball-watching! How can announcers know so little about officiating and get those jobs?
Another announcer should have come in & helped HIM with his call...
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:38pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Obviously those announcers were ball watching. They are going to miss some great calls if they keep doing that.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Obviously those announcers were ball watching. They are going to miss some great calls if they keep doing that.

Did you hear that the announcers are doing the games from the ESPN Studios in Bristol, CT...there aren't actually at the game.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

There was a call in the US - Italy game this morning where Hinrich got called for an offensve foul when the defender was sliding laterally. The announcers said the official got the call right. Maybe they're using one of those 8-ball things to decide whether to agree or not.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
There was a call in the US - Italy game this morning where Hinrich got called for an offensve foul when the defender was sliding laterally. The announcers said the official got the call right. Maybe they're using one of those 8-ball things to decide whether to agree or not.
Am I missing something here, Jim?

If a defender is sliding laterally after attaining an initial LGP position, then it's an offensive foul in every ruleset if Hinrich initiated contact on the defender's torso? Is that what happened, or not? I didn't see the call.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

If a defender is sliding laterally after attaining an initial LGP position, then it's an offensive foul in every ruleset if Hinrich initiated contact on the defender's torso? Is that what happened, or not? I didn't see the call.
I think Jim was responding to the OP who mentioned the announcers didn't like an offensive foul call in an earlier game and jumped all over it, but this one they liked.

Personally, I don't like using the Magic 8-ball during games - it doesn't fit in my pocket. I'd rather just flip a coin on those close calls.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 02:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I think Jim was responding to the OP who mentioned the announcers didn't like an offensive foul call in an earlier game and jumped all over it, but this one they liked.
OK, got it now.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, got it now.
You're welcome.

Anything else I can help you with?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Aug 23, 2006, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What M&M Guy said.

I didn't see whether the defender ever established LGP (he was off the ball on the left block, coming across the lane in a lateral slide with a little extra lean-in at the end while Hinrich was getting past his defender on the right side of the lane), but I doubt the announcers did either.

Obviously, I was ball watching and I suspect the announcers were doing the same.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to kiwiref Send a message via Yahoo to kiwiref
More questions

Quote:
How can announcers know so little about officiating and get those jobs?
We have a guy who used to coach local NBL teams teams as one of the commentators. I was in stitches more then once due to his comments. He displayed such a lack of knowledge of even basic rules. God knows how he ever got to coach a team, yet he was known as one of the most difficult coaches to manage (AsH factor 9.8).
Old Tue Aug 29, 2006, 06:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiref
We have a guy who used to coach local NBL teams teams as one of the commentators. I was in stitches more then once due to his comments. He displayed such a lack of knowledge of even basic rules. God knows how he ever got to coach a team, yet he was known as one of the most difficult coaches to manage (AsH factor 9.8).
They do go hand-in-hand. Usually you hear a lot less from the more knowledgeable coaches, and when you do hear from them, it's for a reason.