The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 01:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
With that said I don't know of any schools around here that would play any kind of game with one umpire and no assigner would assign just one.
You would really get a kick out of San Diego, home of the cheapest rich bast*rds in the world. One-umpire tilts are standard procedure on any sub-varsity youth ball game, whether JV, Frosh, LL Minors, Majors, Senior LL, Pony, Colt. If you are lucky, Palomino usually hires two, as do adult baseball, USABF, and American Legion, otherwise it is One-Man-Sam.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 08:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
MSHSL only requires it at the varsity level, and only quasi-sanctions sub-varsity games.
Too bad. All games at the 9th grade level and up are covered by the WIAA.

Of course, I haven't taken a subvarsity game in 6 years (I did fill in on one last week as part of a V/JV DH and was reminded after 2:20 and five innings why I don't work JV games). Main reason is there are so many makeups that if I took a JV game, I know I'd get 10 calls to go work a big school varsity game makeup and then I'd be faced with the dilemma of whether I take the varsity game and find a sub for the JV game or simply turn down the varsity game. I came to the conclusion I'd rather leave my schedule open and run the risk of enjoying an off day.

I guess some people enjoy umpiring enough to work by themselves, but I'm serious in that I would give it up before I would work by myself. I don't love it that much and it's not like I do this for the money.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Who said it was the mission of schools to develop umpires?
Wow, what a short sighted comment. It may not be their "mission" but it's definitely in their own best interests in the long run.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
You would really get a kick out of San Diego, home of the cheapest rich bast*rds in the world. One-umpire tilts are standard procedure on any sub-varsity youth ball game, whether JV, Frosh, LL Minors, Majors, Senior LL, Pony, Colt. If you are lucky, Palomino usually hires two, as do adult baseball, USABF, and American Legion, otherwise it is One-Man-Sam.
Just curious, what is the pay scale for the cheap bas#$ards in one man/sub varsity.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 10:21am
TODO: creative title here

Baseball is $72-77 depending on where the school is (out-of-metro pays slightly more then the metro area), both for 2-person varsity and 1-person non-varsity.

Softball is $64-69, for both varsity and non-varsity.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Amazing. We have a lot of weather in Wisconsin, and no school game can be played here (by the state association rules) with one umpire. The schools have no choice.
That's very interesting to me. What is the going rate up there for a 2 man crew?
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Baseball is $72-77 depending on where the school is (out-of-metro pays slightly more then the metro area), both for 2-person varsity and 1-person non-varsity.

Softball is $64-69, for both varsity and non-varsity.
we have a flat rate of $50 for varsity or non-varsity. we recieve a flat rate of $12 for mileage unless you are at a school outside austin area. i like the flat rate system we use in basketball . we get $12 for 15 miles from downtown, $18 for 25 miles and so on. works well for me because i live in outer area and get to call in my area alot. it makes up for driving into town 60 miles roundtrip for $12.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 11:35am
In Time Out

Quote:
I guess some people enjoy umpiring enough to work by themselves, but I'm serious in that I would give it up before I would work by myself. I don't love it that much and it's not like I do this for the money.
Which charity do you give your game fees? Or do you not take pay at all? Better for taxes that way I presume.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 04:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's not what he said. I'll paraphrase Rich from another thread a long time ago: "I don't do this for the money, but I wouldn't do it for free, either."
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 05:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
That's not what he said. I'll paraphrase Rich from another thread a long time ago: "I don't do this for the money, but I wouldn't do it for free, either."
I see that someone I've ignored has referenced me. I'm sure it has to do with my saying "I don't do it for the money." Oh, OK, I'll look, but only so I'm not off-base in my reply. Yup, OK.

Well, I don't. A $60 game fee, after vehicle/fuel costs and my $30 meal and beers after a game doesn't exactly leave me with a lot of money. The only thing a game fee does is help me get close enough (on either direction) to breaking even.

My free baseball is the baseball I work and the time I spend teaching clinics and doing other things for Little League. Of course, none of the coaches and local administrators are getting paid to do that, either.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 07:37pm
In Time Out

Quote:
I see that someone I've ignored has referenced me. I'm sure it has to do with my saying "I don't do it for the money." Oh, OK, I'll look, but only so I'm not off-base in my reply. Yup, OK.
Quote:
Well, I don't. A $60 game fee, after vehicle/fuel costs and my $30 meal and beers after a game doesn't exactly leave me with a lot of money. The only thing a game fee does is help me get close enough (on either direction) to breaking even.
So working for game fees - which like any income is spent on cars, food and booze - is working for free? Gimme a break. $30 for a meal. Every meal? Where do you eat La Frenchattoria.

Last edited by Simply The Best; Thu Apr 28, 2011 at 11:50am.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

I don't get your objection STB to what Rich said, but then again a lot of people here, most of the time, don't get what you're saying.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Wow, what a short sighted comment. It may not be their "mission" but it's definitely in their own best interests in the long run.
Take it for what is worth. If I am AD I am not paying to develop umpires, I expect assignor to take care of that, that is what I pay for. Willing to live with shortcomings at sub-varsity because I understand.

Around here all games are two umpires, even 9-10 year olds. But no one is doing 2 to develop umpires. An umpire who has to work alone is a screwup, and I have only worked one Varsity game in my life lonesome, and it was 2 Private schools playing, and I gave the teams options at the plate meeting.

Turns out that game was 2-1 and done in 1:30 and they paid me 1.5 game fee on site. I did not have that game until 2:00 that day. Not bad in my book.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Even in professional baseball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5G1pHXOtMg

Last edited by jkumpire; Wed Apr 27, 2011 at 09:11pm. Reason: Can't get link to work!
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I don't get your objection STB to what Rich said, but then again a lot of people here, most of the time, don't get what you're saying.
Yep. Most others seem to understand it.
Closed Thread