Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 06:37pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
So ... you're proposing that one of the field umpires, from 100-130 feet away, is supposed to be able to see this batter's heel, the chalk, and the ball being struck all at the same time and his judgment (guess!) should overrule the PU who is 2-3 feet away?

Go find a field - a 90' base one, not the 60's you're certainly working on, blur out the lines as closely as possible to what you see in the video, go head to any MLB umpire position and tell us if you can see ANY chalk - any at all. You can't.
I answered this when I said that BU cannot overrule PU. This doesn't mean that BU if he sees something that is contrary to PUs ruling, he has the ethical responsibility to let PU know. Then PU can either do the right thing and correct his call or he can curl up and slink back behind the plate the coward he is.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Very rarely called (or expected to be called) in MLB.
And no argument by Francona.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Does the PBUC manual describe every mechanic needed to handle every possible play? How about the CCA? Red book?

6.06a It's in the rules because administrators want to prevent batters from gaining an illegal advantage. It's a tough call to make. At the MLB level the pitches and players are incredibly fast, making this call truly difficult. That's why when it is enforced the call makes SportsCenter...when it's not enforced it also makes SportsCenter too.

Life goes on.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I answered this when I said that BU cannot overrule PU. This doesn't mean that BU if he sees something that is contrary to PUs ruling, he has the ethical responsibility to let PU know. Then PU can either do the right thing and correct his call or he can curl up and slink back behind the plate the coward he is.
So the BU should come in giving unsolicited information?

What other OBRs do you ignore?

(Yes, I am posting for my own enjoyment as this poster seems familiar )
Old Mon Apr 11, 2011, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
If this were the case, instead of Jim Joyce having Jim Leyland visit him at first base, he'd have had some visitors dressed just like him.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2011, 12:17am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
So the BU should come in giving unsolicited information?
Only if BU has a sense of ethics, truthfulness, responsibility to the game, its heritage, its players and its future. Otherwise, as many on this forum will choose to do, take the low road, it's faster and easier to the paycheck and the cheap beers postgame.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2011, 06:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Oooh, the mating call of the LL umpire.
You don't need to go there. I know plenty of HS-only umpires who are probably as terrible as the guys I've killfiled here. BTW, quoting these jokers makes me read their drivel if I keep following the thread.

I'm working one of the World Series put on by LL this year and I can assure you that many of us carry common sense and a sense of baseball tradition onto the field. Many of us are also HS and college umpires in the spring and work LL to give back to our communities in a way we enjoy.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2011, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
You don't need to go there. I know plenty of HS-only umpires who are probably as terrible as the guys I've killfiled here. BTW, quoting these jokers makes me read their drivel if I keep following the thread.

I'm working one of the World Series put on by LL this year and I can assure you that many of us carry common sense and a sense of baseball tradition onto the field. Many of us are also HS and college umpires in the spring and work LL to give back to our communities in a way we enjoy.
As you know, Rich, many of us distinguish between LL umpires and umpires who work LL.