The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

What's the call ?

OBR. 0 out. R2. The batter hits a looping drive to short right field. R2 holds up and remains at 2nd as the ball drops safely. The BR rounds 1st and collides with F3. BR continues to run and reaches 2nd safely. Both runners are now standing at 2nd . The defensive player tags both runners. What should the umpire's call be?
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 12:00am
Veteran College Umpire

"TIME! R2, you go to 3B, and BR, you stay on 2B."

Next question?

JJ
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
"TIME! R2, you go to 3B, and BR, you stay on 2B."

Next question?

JJ
I disagree.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 12:14am
Stop staring at me swan.

I'll try:

I've got OBS (type b), protecting R1 to 2B, however, this is type 2 OBS with 2B still occupied by R2, so I'm also going to call B/R out on the play.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 09:22am
Veteran College Umpire

Yep, it's type 2 obstruction, but I'm protecting that BR into 2B, and my award for him will force R2 to advance to 3B. Since the BR was still running after he collided with F3 as opposed to stopping at 1B, while I wouldn't AUTOMATICALLY award him 2B I will in this case. He must have thought he could make it to 2B so he kept running. I'm giving HIM the benefit of the doubt while at the same time letting F3 know to stay out of the runner's path.

Of course, this is definitely a HTBT situation, but based on the OP this is what I would do. If another umpire chooses to do something different, that's his call.

JJ

14 days till first pitch.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Technically I'm with JJ on this but from a different path.
The play would continue and BR would probably be called out to end play. Then umpire that has the obstruction would step in and award BR 2nd because of the obstruction, and R2 third because he is forced to third because of the award to BR.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

fwiw, I agree with JJ and jong
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen, I've got a different take on this. The obstruction is negated because the BR made it to 2nd base safely. R2's action are completely independent of the obstruction. I don't have obstruction anymore. I now have two runners on a base that is legally occupied by bonehead R2. BR is out when tagged.

Last edited by Forest Ump; Sat Feb 12, 2011 at 12:19pm.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
The obstruction is negated because the BR made it to 2nd base safely. ... I now have two runners on a base that is legally occupied by bonehead R2.
Contradict yourself much? If he's in jeopardy of being out when tagged on the base, then he's not safely on 2B.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Contradict yourself much? If he's in jeopardy of being out when tagged on the base, then he's not safely on 2B.
No contradiction here, Yawetag. Two seperate and independent plays. BR makes it to 2B safely. No play was made on him. The umpire did not rule out or safe on his arrival at the base. He achieved his advance base regardless of whether he was protected there or not. He was never in jepordy. The obstruction is negated because of that. He's now standing on an occupied base and then tagged. Where is the contradiction? Is he not responsible for knowing that 2nd base is occupied before preceeding there?
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction is never "negated". An umpire will always acknowledge the obstruction even if the runner attains the base entitled to or one beyond. Since the BR clearly showed that he could reach 2nd base without being obstructed, he is at least entitled to that base and any runner forced to advance, because of the penalty of obstruction, will do so.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I cannot see awarding R2 3rd because of his boneheaded baserunning. I have the BR out when tagged on second base.

I know it is a different play but the principle is the sane.

When two runners are between first and second and the ball is thrown out of play, we award the lead runner two bases but the trail runner would only get one.

By what rule could you advance R2 to third? What were the base coaches doing? Just bad baserunning.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Another thought;

If bases are awarded by the umpire that would negate the obstruction, then go ahead and put the batter runner on second. But that has no effect on R2 so now we have two runners on the same base and the BR is out when tagged.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

You can't award a base to a runner that has not been obstructed with under type B obstruction. Under type A it would be possible, due to the minimum award.

In this case you can't reward the offense for R2 not advancing. R2 ends up screwing over the BR in this case. As he himself nullifies the act of obstruction, by not advancing.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

There is no right answer. This is a judgement call. The important thing to know is make your judgement and then know what verbiage you are going to use.