The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 31, 2010, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Retirement due to injury

Fellow umpires,

Since 1999, I have been a poster on this board. The information I have received from this board has far than exceeded by any input I have provided. To say that this site has greatly improved my ability to umpire would be an understatement. It is with great sadness that I have to announce that as as result of a medical condition I have been through, I will have to retire from umpiring.

On June 28th, just about 8 hours before a scheduled Jr. Legion game, I began to experience extreme pain in my left leg and within an hour or so my right leg began to hurt as well. After two trips to the ER and 5 different medical tests, I was diagnosed with a badly herniated (ruptured) disc in my back at the T11/T12 level. This came as a complete shock as I had no back pain (and still have not to this day) and had never had a back injury. I had been experiencing quadriceps pain on and off for a year or so but was told that was most likely a result of a congential hip defect that I was scheduled for surgery in August 2010. Needless to say the hip surgery was postponed.

While the surgery was relatively routine, the effect of the herniation was not. The herniated disc compressed my spinal cord and I was left unable to walk but with feeling and some movement in my legs. After 2 days in a hospital, I was sent to a rehab hospital that had a spinal cord injury program. I stayed there for 29 days and after 3.5 weeks I began to walk using a walker.

Since discharging to my home, I have regained quite a bit of movement and strength and today I can walk moderate distances with a cane and short distances without assistance. I still use a wheelchair a fair bit to get around the house and in public because I am slow. I am able to drive with assistive devices and I am confident with more time and continued therapy, I will be able to regain additional function. I am experiencing muscle tightness (spasticity) that is common with spinal cord injury patients and am working through therapy and drug intervention to correct it. It may require an additional surgery to treat it down the road. I will also most likely have to have the hip surgery down the road as well.

Many of my colleagues have urged me not to hang it up until I see where I wind up in my recovery. I know they are thinking that I might just get back to a point where I can work again. I hope so but I just can't risk going behind the plate after having a spinal cord injury and I refuse to be a bases only umpire.

Obviously this is not how I saw my career as an umpire ending. I began umpiring at age 18 and was two months shy of my 38th birthday when I had my surgery. With a couple of inactive years I had still umpired 18 years and was looking forward to working until I was in my early 50's when I thought I would likely hang it up. Due to family commitments, I was planning to work a reduced schedule in 2011.

Because I was injured during the season, I wasn't able to unload my uniforms and equipment from my truck. My stepsister did that while I was in the hospital. I have not opened my equipment bag to clean my plate gear for the last time. I cannot bring myself to do it right now. I know that tears will be shed. Last night, my wife was sorting some laundry that had been lingering for awhile and put my cleaned uniform from my last game on the dresser. I shed tears when I realized what it was.

I will conclude by saying that I will truly miss umpiring. It has been a tremendously rewarding part of my life. I will miss my fellow umpires the most. I will only ask that you never take being an umpire and a participant in the great game of baseball for granted.

Best regards,

Lawrence Dorsey
Old Sun Oct 31, 2010, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Ld

You have been a long time and valuable poster to this site. I am so sorry that you did not have the opportunity to select your own time for retirement from this "hobby" we all share.

If you get well enough assist your fellow umpires any way you can.

While I have found something that has replaced umpiring and is a challenge I still, at times, miss the people I shared a special place with . . .

Please keep active if all possible and find a way back to being healthy.

Tee
Old Sun Oct 31, 2010, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Hang in there, Lawrence. It's a bad break, but I bet another door opens for you.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2010, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Larry, I suffered a spinal injury many years ago. It's a long road but you will come through it. Do not give up no matter how hard it gets because every little step you take makes you that much better. When it looks like you are not gaining, try harder and harder. It will all work out, my brother. If you are able to get around, become an evaluator for your organization. Your experience and knowledge will help others. Don't ever give up - you may not run the bases like you did when you were young but you can get from one to another and that is all that matters!

God Bless
Old Sun Oct 31, 2010, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Lawrence, I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Best wishes to you and your family for your recovery. I'm sure umpiring will play a role in your new life.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2010, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Best wishes for your complete recovery. I've had back problems off and on since college. Not fun. Nowhere near as serious as your's, but I understand the debilitation. Just stay as active as you can.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2010, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Do not give up so soon. Work to get well. When you are well, umpiring will be waiting for you. I started umpiring at an age more than you are now and have been doing it for 21 years. Umpiring is still possible for you after you are better. Again work to get well and you may possibly return or at least return to mentor , evaluate or train or all three. Best of luck in the future.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2010, 11:19pm

Stay in touch with everyone here Lawrence, and as Ump29 said, stay involved in training and evaluating to keep your hand in umpiring and the game of baseball. I hope all the best for you!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 12:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Sorry to hear that man. I agree with what a few others said. Do not completely give it up, you can always be an assest to training and other aspects. And this is just another opportunity in your life. Do not let this get you down. God always has a way.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Sad news. Best wishes for a speedy continued recovery.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 09:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm sorry to hear about this, but hopeful that you are able to fully recover.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence.Dorsey View Post

I hope so but I just can't risk going behind the plate after having a spinal cord injury and I refuse to be a bases only umpire.
Larry,

Sorry to hear about your surgery and hope everything turns out ok. Prayers are with you.

Please keep in mind there is NOTHING wrong in doing the bases when you get on your feet. In other words DO NOT be ashamed because you cannot do the plate. I am certain you already have "done your time" when it comes to the plate and if your partner had an injury you would have no problem in doing the dish for him.

Heck I have guys refuse to do the plate and there is NOTHING wrong with them. Therefore, when you get back on your feet and still have "the fire burning" do the bases.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Nov 01, 2010, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thoughts and prayers

Larry,

Our thoughts and prayers are for a speedy and complete recovery for you and your eventual return to the diamond...

Stan
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Best wishes, Larry. That's a lousy way to feel that you have to hang it up. Like others have said, get healed, consider evaluating and the other activities Tee suggested.
Old Sat Nov 13, 2010, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Guys,

I just want to thank all of you for responding. It means a lot, especially from some of the guys who have been around for quite awhile. This isn't the way I saw things ending, but really things could be much worse. When I was in inpatient rehab, I saw so many people that were much worse off than me. My rehab doctor is actually a paraplegic and has been one since an auto accident at 17 years old.

I want to clarify one thing I said in my original post. I said I could drive with assistive devices; that was a typo, I can drive just like I did before. Recent tests on my right leg indicate it is near or at normal strength in many of the muscle groups. My left leg is a fair ways behind but with continued therapy it will get better. It's also the leg that I'll need the hip surgery on so that has some effect as well.

I have considered being an evaluator and most likely will pursue it more after January gets here. I posted my situation here mainly for some healing on my part. The reason I wanted to air my situation and thoughts out here is that you guys "live it" when it comes to umpiring like I do. It's hard for the non-umpires in my life to understand just what umpiring means to me. While I am retired until further notice, I might try to sneak out on a JV game and work the bases one more time if I regain enough mobility. That way I could go out on my terms! Hopefully someday I will get there !

Thanks,

Lawrence