The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
"Writer" (like everyone else on this forum).
Make that poster instead of writer. On most forums, it is quite common to see such things as: "He should of went home." That's not writing.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 12:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
Sorry - Too big of a word for you, my bad. Translation: "Commentator" = "Writer" (like everyone else on this forum).
You will find that the vast majority of the posters on this forum are quite intelligent, and that insulting that intelligence is very rude on your part. You are new here. You remind me of me when I was new here. Just because I had 20 years umpiring experience I thought I knew it all and nobody could tell me anything new. I soon found out that the people here were much smarter than I had given them credit for originally.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
You cannot turn a DP without touching the base (or the runner). Now if the throw is right to F4 (or whomever is covering), and he pulls off just as he receives the throw, he's getting the benefit of the doubt. But an out without touching the base at all (aka the neighborhood play) - no way. Safe - off the bag.
Not at any significant level of ball... generally, if the player is straddling the base, they'll get credit for the touch even if they aren't touching it.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Not at any significant level of ball... generally, if the player is straddling the base, they'll get credit for the touch even if they aren't touching it.
I'm not sure whether MLB is a significant level, but I saw exactly this play ruled "safe" this past season. The fielder didn't move his feet, one on each side of 2B, and threw to 1B. U2 signaled safe.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I disagree. They don't get that in the major leagues.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I'm not sure whether MLB is a significant level, but I saw exactly this play ruled "safe" this past season. The fielder didn't move his feet, one on each side of 2B, and threw to 1B. U2 signaled safe.
I'd love to see this video.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think it might have happened last year in the playoffs. The call went against the Angels I believe.

If the fielder is straddling the base, without at least making it appear he touched the base, he is not getting that call. With a good throw, the fielder must make it appear that contact with the base occured.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

I see maybe one neighborhood a season in MLB and the announcers are usually all over it.

Replay killed the neighborhood play - as well it should.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
I think it might have happened last year in the playoffs. The call went against the Angels I believe.
I remember that.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

It was Yanks/Angels last year, 10th inning. Jerry Layne was U2. Aybar never came close to the bag. Great call.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
It was Yanks/Angels last year, 10th inning. Jerry Layne was U2. Aybar never came close to the bag. Great call.
Yep, that's the one.

Mike, here's the video:
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | ALCS Gm 2: TV, radio calls on Halos' near double play - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I going to be upfront and honest with you. ...

I went head to head against Heisman Trophy winner, Earl Campbell for three years, and I pretty much held my own against the roughest, toughest son of gun I have ever encountered on the gridiron, or anywhere else for that matter.

As a point of fact, I do sit tall in the saddle (Have you even be around a horse?). Therefore, I'm not quite the little person you envision. I now play softball on a team that won the AAA 50 and over National title, where I hit fifth in the lineup and play SS and 3B. I can take it over a 300 ft. fence on occasion.

I've only been in one fisticuff altercation ... It occurred several years ago when my girlfriend (and late wife) and I had gone out dancing for the evening. A guy that was extremely inebriated thought it perfectly alright to walk by and grab her on the butt. After about three failed polite attempts to try and get him to cease such activities, he became belligerent, swung and hit me in the face. Needless to say, I became very agitated, swung and hit him in the mouth. After the fracas was over, I was the one that had to go to the hospital. However, it was only to get one of his front teeth removed from my hand that was embedded in it. Where the other chap went, I don't know.

I don't know if you have been paying close attention, but I have never replied to any poster that knows how to be civil in any critical fashion. ... I've only done that to the ones that answer in the same critical manner to others, myself included. I'm always amazed that these same posters want to play the part of a martyr when the situation backfires in their face. They have mastered the art of pushing, they just don't understand the concept of pushing back.

Anyway, enough about myself. I very much don't like bragging about my past accomplishments, because there are many others that in the past that have achieved as much, and in most cases more than I. Besides, I don't have much of an affinity for blowhards, and I don't wish to become one myself.

In closing, Kevin have a great day and may the upcoming holiday season be special for you and your family. Like Jim Rome says, "I'm outta here".
Man, you are a vastly more fun little person than I imagined.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
I see maybe one neighborhood a season in MLB and the announcers are usually all over it.

Replay killed the neighborhood play - as well it should.
Hall-of-Fame-bound Rod Carew got his knee torn in half getting taken out on a pivot, and the neighborhood was born. If it's in the rhythm of the play, it's cool. But when the fielder A) never touches the bag in the first place; B) is pulled away by the throw; or C) straddles the bag like Aybar, I never give the neighborhood. That was a great call by Layne.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Hall-of-Fame-bound Rod Carew got his knee torn in half getting taken out on a pivot, and the neighborhood was born. If it's in the rhythm of the play, it's cool. But when the fielder A) never touches the bag in the first place; B) is pulled away by the throw; or C) straddles the bag like Aybar, I never give the neighborhood. That was a great call by Layne.
The neighborhood was born LONG before that.