The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I can believe the plenty of stares part, but the plenty of ooohhs & ahhhhs part, I don't think so. Nobody comes to a ballgame to see if the umpire is quite the fashion plate.
Ya gotta believe us on this. Chicks dig the coat, and it's kinda like wearing a Pope's hat out there.

If nicely pressed polywools and shiny shoes buy you two innings, the coat is a 2 for 1 coupon on owning the park. But I fully understand your view, 'cause I didn't believe until I donned the Frock of Kings. But slip one on, and walk on the field, and you'll get it. (a plate coat, not the pontiff's lid)

Last edited by kylejt; Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 10:01pm.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBlue View Post
Gerry Davis wears his Throat protector on the outside of the frame... don't understand the logic of his placement though...any thoughts?
This way the throat protector doesnt get caught on the chest protector. I was actually thinking about doing this next year.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 09:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBlue View Post
Gerry Davis wears his Throat protector on the outside of the frame... don't understand the logic of his placement though...any thoughts?
I had an evaluator once say that when my throat protector was on the inside, it dangled and waved like a wagging tongue. I moved it to the outside several years ago which appeased my evaluator and had the added benefit of not getting caught on my chest protector which would happen from time to time.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I can believe the plenty of stares part, but the plenty of ooohhs & ahhhhs part, I don't think so. Nobody comes to a ballgame to see if the umpire is quite the fashion plate.
The ooohhs & ahhhhs come from the dugouts. Coaches & players seem to like the plate coats and remark about them because they rarely see them any longer. The fans could care less.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
The fans could care less.
The COAT is a rarity here in San Diego, as the climate rarely makes it practical. But when it does make an appearance, it gets noticed by all, fans included. Trust me. I get comments from

"That's awsome!" from players and coaches

to

"Can I touch it?" from the Moms.

One cautionary note: Do not attempt to wear the coat unless you're at LEAST five years into it, and have total command of the field. Again, trust me on this.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2010, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post

Maybe it's just because I think it looks like our favorite umpire from expertvillage (YouTube - How to Be a Baseball Umpire : Going Over Ground Rules as a Baseball Umpire), but does anyone else dislike the look of an exposed chest protector?

For instance, Hunter's CP during last night's game. It looks tacky to me. Why not just throw a plain black shirt over top of the CP and then the plate coat? I know it's personal preference but I don't think it looks professional most of the time.

-Josh
I love the guy in the Youtube video with the backwards hat!
Old Tue Oct 12, 2010, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I had an evaluator once say that when my throat protector was on the inside, it dangled and waved like a wagging tongue. I moved it to the outside several years ago which appeased my evaluator and had the added benefit of not getting caught on my chest protector which would happen from time to time.
t's supposed to dangle and wave. That way if you should happen to tilt your head back it still drops in front of your throat.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2010, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
Maybe I'm envisioning this wrong, but it seems to me you remove some of the protective qualities by doing that.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 12, 2010, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

You want to close the gap between the bottom of your mask and your chest protector, so a ball won't sneak in. Low, inside pitches that get fouled up at you are your enemy. Or ones that deflect off the catcher. You want to protect your Adam's apple from being crushed (blunt enough?).

Again, just have someone take a picture of you from the side, when you drop into your stance. Then just draw line on that picture on where, and how long a throat protector might help you.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2010, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

YouTube - TOC-Padres-Dodgers.mov

see throat shot at :45. Just another example of "if you are exposed, the ball WILL find you."
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Anyone who umpires a ballgame without a throat protector is nuts.

If the guy in that video got hit the same way with a high-80s/low-90s pitch, he would/could have been killed. That's killed with a "K."

You don't like how it looks? Great reason not to use one.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
The ooohhs & ahhhhs come from the dugouts. Coaches & players seem to like the plate coats and remark about them because they rarely see them any longer. The fans could care less.
I wear my plate coat as much as possible...the coaches think you actually can umpire when they see one.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 02:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I wear my plate coat as much as possible...the coaches think you actually can umpire when they see one.
I'm getting a new one next year. The big debate is whether I get a black one or a navy one. I had both at one time, then I lost a bunch of weight (my 50 wouldn't fit my 42 body now) and I sold both of them.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Buy my 40R (fits like a 42R) navy one, and I'll buy a black one. Everybody wins!

Honestly, I'd get a black one if I were you. They go with more.
Old Fri Oct 15, 2010, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Must be rookie coaches