The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Chest Protector

I need to buy my 16 year old daughter, an up and coming (hopefully) youth umpire, a chest protector. Can any female umpires out there make some recommendations? She is about 5'4", medium build.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

If she is going to be doing mostly little kids (10U), then the high priced protectors may be unnecessary and too much too soon. My DD tried umpiring and she preferred the cheap ribbed style protector. She was small, like your daughter, and she was able to easily trim the bottom of the protector to fit so it didn't push the shirt below the belt line. A lot might depend on how intimidated she is behind the plate and whether the larger protectors (e.g. UMP, Kook vest) will make her feel more protected.

The Honigs K2 (which I personally use) leaves too much area unprotected for a novice umpire, IMO.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

She will be umping 10U & 8U this year. I want to get her something decent, mostly for my peace of mind.

We live in a smaller community where there aren't stores that carry this type of equipment; so I'll be in the buy/ship/return department if we don't make a wise choice the first time. I have a friend that has the K2, I wouldn't feel comfortable with her wearing that. She is a bit of a "fair weather" girl, so she might appreciate the Kool Vest .. I don't know, we'll see how this goes.

Unfortunately there aren't other girls her age or size umpiring around here to provide some guidance.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 01:33pm
GrumpUmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
... the larger protectors (e.g. UMP, Kook vest) ...
I used to use the Kook vest. It was supposed to help protect against crazed coaches, unruly fans and over zealous players. Didn't work.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpUmp
I used to use the Kook vest. It was supposed to help protect against crazed coaches, unruly fans and over zealous players. Didn't work.