The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Exposed Chest Protector

Maybe it's just because I think it looks like our favorite umpire from expertvillage (YouTube - How to Be a Baseball Umpire : Going Over Ground Rules as a Baseball Umpire), but does anyone else dislike the look of an exposed chest protector?

For instance, Hunter's CP during last night's game. It looks tacky to me. Why not just throw a plain black shirt over top of the CP and then the plate coat? I know it's personal preference but I don't think it looks professional most of the time.

-Josh
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Always thought it would give you the Herman Munster look.

But just my opinion.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post

Maybe it's just because I think it looks like our favorite umpire from expertvillage (YouTube - How to Be a Baseball Umpire : Going Over Ground Rules as a Baseball Umpire), but does anyone else dislike the look of an exposed chest protector?

For instance, Hunter's CP during last night's game. It looks tacky to me. Why not just throw a plain black shirt over top of the CP and then the plate coat? I know it's personal preference but I don't think it looks professional most of the time.

-Josh
It's been my experience that an exposed chest protector leads to moving your zone 6-8 inches left or right from where it's supposed to be, depending on the handedness of the batter.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 11:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

-Josh
It's the way a protector has been worn with a plate coat for as long as I can remember.

I remember wearing a coat for a HS game a few years ago where a coach made a big deal out of the WV on my West Vest showing. He said it would distract his pitcher. I said, "Really? Having my entire body back there is OK, but this little gold WV on the protector distracts him?" Even he realized how ridiculous he sounded, cause he chuckled and walked away.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

That Riddel he was wearing looked pretty haggered. You could see where the stickers were ripped off, per Wilson's request, but he didn't clean it up for use with a coat. Fugly. Add that to the goofy hand wave on swinging stikes threes, and it wasn't pretty.

Now on the SF/ATL dish, the PU was wearing some sort of Under Armour shirt over his c/p. It looked WAY better. I do the same thing, and an added bonus is comfort. The coat slides easily over the shirt, and doesn't catch and bind on anything. It's a mucher better look and feel. Try it sometime, and thank me latter.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
That Riddel he was wearing looked pretty haggered. You could see where the stickers were ripped off, per Wilson's request, but he didn't clean it up for use with a coat. Fugly. Add that to the goofy hand wave on swinging stikes threes, and it wasn't pretty.

Now on the SF/ATL dish, the PU was wearing some sort of Under Armour shirt over his c/p. It looked WAY better. I do the same thing, and an added bonus is comfort. The coat slides easily over the shirt, and doesn't catch and bind on anything. It's a mucher better look and feel. Try it sometime, and thank me latter.
Dont think DeMuth was wearing a shirt over his CP. Rather, it looked like an old West Vest with all stickers removed.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It's the way a protector has been worn with a plate coat for as long as I can remember.
I understand that is how it's been done but I don't think it looks any better than the yahoo who puts his shin guards on the outside of his pants. This is of course just my opinion. I was just seeing if others had the same thoughts.

-Josh
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand that is how it's been done but I don't think it looks any better than the yahoo who puts his shin guards on the outside of his pants. This is of course just my opinion. I was just seeing if others had the same thoughts.

-Josh
I agree...I think it looks tacky. You're "dressing up" with the plate coat, and then you dumb it down with a chest protector - which is, let's face it, a piece of plastic. Not a good look, IMO. Sometimes things, even if they are "traditional", are just wrong. YMMV.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

One c/p that does look good under a plate coat is the Davishield. Too bad it's afraid of baseballs.

I have oversized Mizuon long sleeved shirt that goes over my Platinum. It looks great with the coat, but I can see the Herman Munster angle. I'd get Tim McClelland to play Lerch, and Joe West for Uncle Fester.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

I do not use pullovers (talk about tacky) when doing the plate. If I need another layer or it's an important game or an evening game, I wear a plate coat. I would not dream of putting anything over the chest protector for any reason or any bozo coach. The exposed chest protector is the only way to go in my opinion. Most of you out there are too cheap to spend the bucks for the coat (roughly $250) so I don't know what you all are complaining about. I can count on one hand, the amount of people who bother to buy plate coats in my association. But you know what, I get plenty of ooohhs & ahhhhs and plenty of stares when I come onto the field wearing my plate coat. Hell, I remember when we used to wear jackets with Elbeco's on the bases! I'll bet very few of you out there would ever do that!
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

I've got a plate, a base coat, and enough Elbecos for a four man crew. Top that, OZ! But you're right, walk in the field with "the coat", and you rule the roost. Chicks dig the coat.

Wearing a shirt over the chest protector, but under the plate coat is good looking, and great feeling. A black mock turtle, two sizes over, works pretty well. You know that feeling the first time you wore tights under your shin guards? Pretty close to that. Not that I take my cues from the guys on TV, but several MLB guys do this.

What's with the guys wearing long sleeved shirts, and pulling up the sleeves? Make up your mind already!

Wearing your throat protector in front of the frame makes no sense at all. Several guys on TV to this. Odd.

Hey, at least we probably don't have to look at baby blue shirts on TV until next year.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I've got a plate, a base coat, and enough Elbecos for a four man crew. Top that, OZ! But you're right, walk in the field with "the coat", and you rule the roost. Chicks dig the coat.

Wearing a shirt over the chest protector, but under the plate coat is good looking, and great feeling. A black mock turtle, two sizes over, works pretty well. You know that feeling the first time you wore tights under your shin guards? Pretty close to that. Not that I take my cues from the guys on TV, but several MLB guys do this.

What's with the guys wearing long sleeved shirts, and pulling up the sleeves? Make up your mind already!

Wearing your throat protector in front of the frame makes no sense at all. Several guys on TV to this. Odd.

Hey, at least we probably don't have to look at baby blue shirts on TV until next year.
Gerry Davis wears his Throat protector on the outside of the frame... don't understand the logic of his placement though...any thoughts?
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

I doth believe that most media, fans and players alike, missed how smartly dressed Hunter Wendelstedt was in the Minnesota game.

Did anyone notice he had two different color socks on.?
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I doth believe that most media, fans and players alike, missed how smartly dressed Hunter Wendelstedt was in the Minnesota game.

So true, yet funny. I did have a non-umpire friend ask me about the crappy looking chest protector he was wearing. But most folks don't care about umpires, until they kick a call. And that's probably the way it should be.
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 08:48pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I get plenty of ooohhs & ahhhhs and plenty of stares when I come onto the field wearing my plate coat.
I can believe the plenty of stares part, but the plenty of ooohhs & ahhhhs part, I don't think so. Nobody comes to a ballgame to see if the umpire is quite the fashion plate.