The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Tampa Bay/NY Jeter HBP?

Just saw in Tampa Bay/New York game top of 7th. Umps got totally suckered by Jeter. Ball hit knob of bat, Jeter faked an injury and was awarded first. Not good.

Here, I just got the video clip:
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Must C Controversial: Jeter to first on phantom HBP - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Last edited by rbmartin; Wed Sep 15, 2010 at 10:35pm. Reason: Adding video clip
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
Just saw in Tampa Bay/New York game top of 7th. Umps got totally suckered by Jeter. Ball hit knob of bat, Jeter faked an injury and was awarded first. Not good.
Also not new. Been doing it his whole career.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Also not new. Been doing it his whole career.
Jeter has fooled more fans into thinking he was Mr. Clean since John Stockton. He is, and has been, a lying rat, no better than any other.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Hey - Players will do what players will do - that is why we umpires have to make the call as we see it and not as it's sold to us. Can't fault Jeter - he's trying to get on base. It's the umpire's responsibility to get that call right regardless of the theatrics.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 04:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
Hey - Players will do what players will do - that is why we umpires have to make the call as we see it and not as it's sold to us. Can't fault Jeter - he's trying to get on base. It's the umpire's responsibility to get that call right regardless of the theatrics.
Enabler.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 06:29am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Jeter has fooled more fans into thinking he was Mr. Clean since John Stockton. He is, and has been, a lying rat, no better than any other.

MrUmpire:

You are not a Mets fan are you?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BK47
well, my first initial call would be "Point Fair" for fair ball, however after seeing the video many more times I would then have to say, "Dead Ball" as I can see the ball hitting the bat but then bouncing off of Jeter which gives me a strike on the count and a dead ball as it hit him while he was still in the box.

I got fooled once on a play like this and told myself "Never Again". I can hear it hitting the bat, and I am part deaf but even I heard that.

thats just my 2 cents worth.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

I think this is a good learning opportunity for umpires to watch the play and not to rely on a players reaction. I'm not saying this was an easy call (in real time) for the HP ump, I really think one of the field umpires should have been more observant.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
come on it is just a HBP.. it's part of the game, it doesn't make him a bad guy, he is trying to get on base any way he can..
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

This is kinda like a defensive player in basketball "flopping". It's part of the game but it decreases my respect for the "actor".
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 07:49am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Shocked I tell ya, Shocked I am!

I can't believe people are actually bashing "The Captain."
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 07:58am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
I think this is a good learning opportunity for umpires to watch the play and not to rely on a players reaction. I'm not saying this was an easy call (in real time) for the HP ump, I really think one of the field umpires should have been more observant.
Base umpires can seldom help on a HBP like this one. The plate guy either gets it right or gets it wrong. Eyes, ears, AND batter reaction all factor in making this call, and no matter how good you are you'll still miss this one now and then.

JJ
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Base umpires can seldom help on a HBP like this one. The plate guy either gets it right or gets it wrong. Eyes, ears, AND batter reaction all factor in making this call, and no matter how good you are you'll still miss this one now and then.

JJ
yep happens every year a couple of times. I tell players all the time (not during a game of course) you have to sell that call to get it.

Same as the bounced throw in the dirt, no way to tell if it hit the foot, but if the batter immediately starts hobbling to first he usually is going to get the base.

Oh forgot to add game two weeks ago and almost same play but I knew it hit the bat and then bounced and hit his hand/arm. Coach goes ballistic and I simply say sorry it hit the bat.
As kid is coming back to bat (he had run towards first) coach asks and he says, "no coach it hit the bat first." Every once in a while we get a little redemption.

Thansk
David

Last edited by David B; Thu Sep 16, 2010 at 08:19am.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Eyes, ears, AND batter reaction all factor in making this call,...
JJ
Hopefully with a LOT more emphasis on Eyes and Ears.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
come on it is just a HBP.. it's part of the game, it doesn't make him a bad guy, he is trying to get on base any way he can..
Of course it's part of the game. But it does go to show that Jeter's not the paragon of virtue that some people make him out to be (including some people on this forum).