The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 26, 2009, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Tampa vs. Toronto Wednesday

Not something you see everyday... Jerry Crawford leaves game in the 3rd inning after getting a foul ball right square in the mask.... Tom Hallion takes over gets hit in the midsection with a foul ball leaves momentarily... Brian O'Nora takes over for him while Hallion takes over at third... hope everyone is ok
Old Thu Aug 27, 2009, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks19 View Post
Not something you see everyday... Jerry Crawford leaves game in the 3rd inning after getting a foul ball right square in the mask.... Tom Hallion takes over gets hit in the midsection with a foul ball leaves momentarily... Brian O'Nora takes over for him while Hallion takes over at third... hope everyone is ok
that was crazy, hope those guys are ok.. he ll they even changed the color of their shirts, to hide from the ball...LOL
Old Thu Aug 27, 2009, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | TB@TOR: Home-plate umpire Hallion is hit by a pitch - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Looked nasty, hope they are ok.
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

If both Crawford and Hallion had been unable to continue, what would they have done? I can't imagine an MLB game continuing with only 2 umpires, but IDK what their policy is on that.
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Why would they not go to two man if necessary? College basketball will go to two man if someone gets hurt. It might have been awhile for those guys since they've done two man but if they can do three man they can do two. IMO

-Josh
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Why would they not go to two man if necessary? College basketball will go to two man if someone gets hurt. It might have been awhile for those guys since they've done two man but if they can do three man they can do two. IMO

-Josh
I have no doubt they COULD do it; my question is does MLB have a policy for what they WOULD do?
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I have no doubt they COULD do it; my question is does MLB have a policy for what they WOULD do?
I don't see them sending 44,000 people home because two umpires got hurt and they didn't trust the other two to finish the game

-Josh
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Shoot... grab 4 random guys from the stands that sound like they know what they are doing and put them out there, they sure can't be any worse, right?
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Additional Two Umpires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
Shoot... grab 4 random guys from the stands that sound like they know what they are doing and put them out there, they sure can't be any worse, right?
Grab the broadcasters, they claim to know everything about everything. It would be a hoot.
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
"Is there an umpire in the stadium?"
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Obr

9.03 (a) If there is only one umpire, he shall have complete jurisdiction in administering the rules. He may take any position on the playing field which will enable him to discharge his duties (usually) behind the catcher, but sometimes behind the pitcher if there are runners).
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
9.03 (a) If there is only one umpire, he shall have complete jurisdiction in administering the rules. He may take any position on the playing field which will enable him to discharge his duties (usually) behind the catcher, but sometimes behind the pitcher if there are runners).
That'd be something to see ... a Major League game done 1-man!
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Regardless, that would not happen. Two man, yes, one man, no.
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

Well, Mr. Hallion worked last night in St. Louis and Mr. Kulpa was brought over from Mr. Scotts crew since Mr. Cuzzi is on vacation unless he has been injured. Mr. Crawford is still out and it seems like those concussion things are keeping the umpires out at least a week before being cleared to work again.

Mr. Crawford and Mr. Ripley were going to work a 2 man the day Mr. McSherry died on the field in Cincinnati. Mr. Hallion was riding to the hospital behind Big John.

I assume each team would provide an honest rat, I mean player to work a 3 man if it got down to 1 umpire being left.

Last edited by tballump; Sat Aug 29, 2009 at 05:37am.
Old Sat Aug 29, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
I assume each team would provide an honest rat, I mean player to work a 3 man if it got down to 1 umpire being left.
According to a triple A ump, they would have delayed the game while attempting to get a "local" and nearby umpire (most likely D-1 or MiLB umpire) to the field. If that could not have been accomplished in a "reasonable" amount of time, the game would have been suspended.