Official Forum Member

I nominate

What Should I Have Called?
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK47 View Post
oh thats funny stuff......

as for more humor, here is one for ya. Many years ago I was subing on a mixed softball team. I was up to bat, hit the ball and as I was leaving the batters box I slipped and fell flat on my face. Everyone started laughing and the defense was laughing so hard I was able to get myself back up and make it safely to first. Later my teammates wanted to know what happened, did I trip on my laces or what. I showed them my shoes and they were as smooth as a babies butt, I had no traction and that is why I slipped and fell. Either way I got a hit.
I played one year with a slow pitch team that was really good. The pitcher could place the ball exactly where he wanted it and we had a full team that could hit and field. During our first couple games, the pitcher would occasionally turn around and yell "TSS!" I had no idea what he meant but was too afraid to ask. When I finally did I learned it stood for "tennis shoe syndrome". This meant 2 things. The batter was probably not very good if he was wearing tennis shoes rather than cleats and he'll probably be slow getting out of the batter's box so take your time on ground balls.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
+1

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I gotta say the ball bouncing off Jose Canseco's head and into the stands for a home run takes the cake for most embarrassing play of all time.

BTW-Who hit the home run? His last name was Martinez, but I don't remember his first name.
Carlos Martinez
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

BU in a 16 yo u-trip tourney about a month ago. R1 and slow roller hit between short and 3B. F5 charges in to field the ball. For some unknown reason I'm drifting toward the mound from B - apparently I think I'm opening up the throwing lane. As F5 picks up the ball, I realize we're looking face to face. I think "oh, $h!t" and drop to a knee as I turn to see the throw. I never did see the throw - it hit me squre between the shoulder blades!!! Base coach said the throw was so far off the mark that it would have bounced 5 feet in front of me had it not hit me. That didn't make me feel any better about it. My partner tells me, "well, you know better than to turn your back on the ball." I told him, "yeah, but if I hadn't, he would have hit me in the chest!!!"

They called the UIC out there to check on me. He told everyone when he got there that I was going to get a stern talking to after the game. All the coaches told him not to get on to me too hard b/c it was a bad throw. He never said a word. He knew I had beat myself up more than he ever could.
Old Thu Sep 16, 2010, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

But seriously folks

My Embarrassing moment....

Many years ago I was first starting to do college BB.....

I was asked to do the opener at a small D3 school in Ohio, the year after they won the D3 title. I was as nervous as a deer walking through a camp full of hunters.

I get to the game site, 90 minutes ahead of time, start to unpack, and I have no plate pants, just the gray pants I had on that were not umpire pants at all. In fact I had no other pants with me, so I put these pants on and went at it. I called my wife, asked her to bring my pants down, she said she would.

My partner shows up and asks me to do the first game. No problem right? He's a D1 umpire, I'm just a guy, so behind the plate I go. My pants lasted 1 and 1/3 innings, then ripped out all the way down the inside seam of a leg. In front of 1000+ people, and at least one radio station My sorry rear end was exposed for the all the world to see. Thank the Lord I have gray McDavid tights on that day. I heard every line in the book, and the home team manager (The Old Man, for those of you who knew him) spent the whole game laughing his butt off about it. Now I 'd love to tell you that my rear end looks good enough to be in the SI swimsuit calender, but the only thing my butt needs to have is coverings, lots and lots of coverings.

My wife shows up, 2 kids in tow, and with two pairs of plate pants in between games.

I kid you not, after that experience I carry at least two of everything to every game except a chest protector, since I never wear anything else than my Carlucci. I never have less than three pairs of pants. I was so embarrassed I almost quit umpiring that day. It sure took me a long time to be confident enough to try to get back into the college ranks after that season.
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry

Men,

I seems to have killed the thread. Anyone willing to add a post?
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 09:48pm
Veteran College Umpire

...we're just all having flashbacks..... ...or should that be "back-flashes"?

JJ