The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I hate holding my indicator in my hand so I keep it in my left side ball bag and after every pitch I change it and put it back in my bag.
What color bags are you using?

Usually the Navy Blue are much easier for changing your indicator than the grey, ivory, black or powered blue.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

The indicator in the ball bag method is the best. Once you do it that way, you'll wonder two things: Why didn't I do it that way sooner? Why do I even have an indicator? It's the first step toward indicator independence.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
The indicator in the ball bag method is the best. Once you do it that way, you'll wonder two things: Why didn't I do it that way sooner? Why do I even have an indicator? It's the first step toward indicator independence.
I became liberated several years when I was negatively evaulated for repeated conversations with my indicator, after each pitch. I admit, it is much harder writing it down on my hand but at least I haven't been zinged. The worst part is when you have a double header and can't remember which game is on which hand.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

I had a base partner miss a dropped fly ball because he prematurely called a catch, and then looked away to click the out on his indicator.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hate holding my indicator in my hand so I keep it in my left side ball bag and after every pitch I change it and put it back in my bag.
I watched a guy do a similar thing this summer. On the bases, he used his front pocket. He reached in after every pitch, and it looked, well, odd. And odd is being very, very nice.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 10:44pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I would imagine that if he's doing those types of things, the indicator issue on the pads, might be the least of his issues.

Yikes.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

I have found that using an indicator on the bases is more distracting than helpful. I do use it when I'm working the plate but realize I hardly ever refer to it, only on those situations after something unusual happens and I want to reassure myself that I have the correct count.

You can always tell a rookie umpire by the way he calls a pitch and then immediately buries his face in the indicator. Drives me nuts.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

I started donig the "indicator in the ball bag" thing this year and really like it. Makes it a lot easier to take your mask off too. I have gotten a bit tired of reaching in the bag after every pitch, so this fall I'm trying to ween myself off the indicator entirely so I don't have to use it at all.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
What color bags are you using?

Usually the Navy Blue are much easier for changing your indicator than the grey, ivory, black or powered blue.
I use blue ones.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I became liberated several years when I was negatively evaulated for repeated conversations with my indicator, after each pitch. I admit, it is much harder writing it down on my hand but at least I haven't been zinged. The worst part is when you have a double header and can't remember which game is on which hand.
You got zinged for looking at your indicator...what else must I do for the 20 seconds in between pitches? It takes me 2-3 seconds to pull it out and add a strike or ball.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I watched a guy do a similar thing this summer. On the bases, he used his front pocket. He reached in after every pitch, and it looked, well, odd. And odd is being very, very nice.
When I am on the bases I tell my partner to make sure he knows the count because I am not keeping it on the bases. I do in my head but I don't tell them that.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 08:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
When I am on the bases I tell my partner to make sure he knows the count because I am not keeping it on the bases. I do in my head but I don't tell them that.
Exactly. My response when someone asks me the count from the bases?

"Ask the plate guy. His count is the official one." "Bill, what's the count?"

If you ever end up having to eject a coach because you gave him the wrong count from the bases (my partner did about 10 years ago) you'll immediately realize it's a good practice.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

And that is why learning to keep the count mentally keeps you more tuned into the game both on the bases and at the plate.

I have corrected several times, plate officials that have an indicator.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 09:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
And that is why learning to keep the count mentally keeps you more tuned into the game both on the bases and at the plate.

I have corrected several times, plate officials that have an indicator.
As have I. But first I let the participants get the PU's count. I could be wrong, too, and I'd rather the official word come from the plate. I am there in case the plate guy needs help or has a question.
Old Wed Sep 08, 2010, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

An indicator is a tool, and as such it can be abused like anything else. If you can't use it properly, don't use it.

But I don't think that rises (descends?) to the level of a 'crutch' as a general category. Some use them, some don't, some well, some poorly. To each his own. My suggestion is to save your condescension for something that matters