The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Rookie umpire here. Between at-bats, the players on the men's slowpitch teams ask me how many runs scored. I refer them to their scorekeeper and always feel a bit guilty for not knowing the answer. How many of you umpires out there count the runs? Should I be doing this?
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I dont really count the runs as they score (basically I dont trust my count).. but at the end of every half inning where there were scores, or if i've forgotten, I ask the scorer how many runs score and write it on the back of a line up where I track it. The rec league I work has gotten used to this habit of mine so they just tell me when they see me reaching for my book.

Its an obsessive thing I do others may or may not do.. i've only known a few umps who do it, and a few who have even advised me not to do it.. but it has come in handy numerous times so i will keep on doing it.. Only takes a few seconds.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA JO FP, but I always sync the two scorebooks at the half inning. Since we are nearly always dealing with parent scorekeepers, it prevents brouhahas late in the game. Go first one & ask RUNS? Then to the other. Then write it on my card. For most tournaments, my card is official. Quick & simple.

With NFHS games, I inform the home scorekeeper that they are official and had better be on their toes. Even so, I will sync the books every couple of innings or so. Go to home & ask something like "Bottom of 3, 2-1, right?" Then same question to visitors. Again, to limit possibility of disputes after memories of the action have faded. I don't write the score on my card with NFHS. That is the home scorekeepers responsiblity.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, I feel better already. Your ideas are good ones.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Glad to help, and welcome to the board (and to umpiring)!
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

This is for myself working only ASA Slowpitch. I check the books (if anyone is even keeping one) after each half inning also and write it on my lineup card or in some leagues they provide a scorecard to keep. This avoids confusion and arguments later in the game when someone says 'We scored 3 in the 2nd', 'No you didn't you only got 2'. If I don't keep it then how could I settle the dispute? For most of the leagues and tournaments I have worked there isn't an official scorekeeper, what I turn in as the score is official. Sorry but my memory isn't good enough to to keep track of the score in my head. Sometimes neither team will even keep a book, then I have to quickly record runs right after the play ends.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Don't care what the score is.

Will only ask books to get together if I overhear two different numbers.

I may ask for the inning, but don't care what the score is unless there is a slaughter possibility and usually, I don't have to ask for that one.

Umpires have enough to do without dealing with the score.

Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

You must do games with good scorekeepers. Often in the rec leagues noone keeps the book or someones girlfriend, mom, kid, etc. is doing it and it is hard to get them to count runs. I've just gotten used to writing the runs down after each half inning. I don't care what the total is so much as I want to make sure I have it.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

I,m with Mike. I don't care what the about the score. If nobody is keeping score during a rec slow pitch we're done in 1.05 anyways.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Add me in, too. I am not there to keep score. I go to a field to do a job, and that's what I do. Scorekeeping is somebody else's role.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

When I used to do slow pitch, I had a indicator with the "innings" wheel. I would use that to keep track of runs. I hated it when I forgot how many times I had looped around the wheel in one inning.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 07:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Add me in, too. I am not there to keep score. I go to a field to do a job, and that's what I do. Scorekeeping is somebody else's role.
I've read your stuff for a while now, Steve.

I can understand your not wanting to be bothered with scorekeeping, but believing you and Mike (proven students and masters of this game), and others, not being even slightly interested in that scorekeeping process, another technical point of the game, is more than I can fathom.

mick
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Mick,
Thanks - I think. When I do rec ball, that's got a time limit, I keep that (and I do not like that clarification/change as to when the clock starts, Mike). When I do more serious ball, they have scorekeepers, so when no players take the field - I know the game is over. While I do have some idea of what the score is, it's unofficial and I specifically do not write it down --> there is nothing good that can come from an umpire keeping a potentially inaccurate score. I do not need any help in stirring folks up by having them notice that I am keeping score.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

I really honestly dont care, If Im doing SP league..I tell the home team they have the book..about the 4th inning (If I dont sense a run rule) I wll ask the score....sometimes teams do a great job of getting together and telling each other between half innings..either way..not my issue until we get to a run rule.

In JO softball I REALLY dont care. the scorekeepers are EXCELLENT, because the coaches use the book for stats. I will check after the 3rd (when run rules start)..but other than that....nope
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 08:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Mick,
Thanks - I think. When I do rec ball, that's got a time limit, I keep that (and I do not like that clarification/change as to when the clock starts, Mike). When I do more serious ball, they have scorekeepers, so when no players take the field - I know the game is over. While I do have some idea of what the score is, it's unofficial and I specifically do not write it down --> there is nothing good that can come from an umpire keeping a potentially inaccurate score. I do not need any help in stirring folks up by having them notice that I am keeping score.

I clearly have not followed your track.
I was talking about scoring (bookkeeping) and not the score.

Heck! I just realized that I was on another thread!

M'bad!
Apologies around.
mick

Duh..., yes, U2 and I don't care what the score is either.