Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Bob, Sorry I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Why? If we believe ESPN, then 20% of "close" plays would have been overturned in MLB. And, my guess is that if a similar review system were in place, that a percentage greater than that would be overturned.

Plus, the sample size (6 plays in LLWS) is too small to draw any significant conclusions.
Bob,

In another thread I think the 20% number is shown to be incorrect. Anyway, my ability to trust ESPN with numbers about umpires is very, very limited, to the point of non-existence.

More to the point, if the best umpires LL can find by its criteria are in PA, overturning 3 calls by replay in 22 games is a big number to me. Would you personally have missed 3 calls in any set of 132 innings you have called this year that would lead to them being overturned on replay?

How many of us on this board would think that 3 overturned calls in about 19 7 inning games or about 15 nine inning games by us is a good job by us as umpires in those games?

Would you be happy about it? Would you accept that performance as adequate, or outstanding?
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Would you be happy about it? Would you accept that performance as adequate, or outstanding?
Outstanding! ...
(Out standing in a line looking for a new job at least).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

I just returned home from taking my son to the Little League World Series. Being there makes you realize how over crowded a small diamond is with six umpires. Most of the comments I heard about the umpires from the crowd were about how consistently tight the strike zone was in Williamsport, compared to the regionals. I thought the plate umpire in both games we saw was excellent and the first over turned call right in front of us. It was well worth the trip.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Know what ... I have trouble envisioning a "trouble" ball on this field with 6 guys. I mean, first, what's the maximum distance from an umpire? 75 feet or so? Second - who cares if they see it at all - we have replay!
Now that's a great line.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 10:33pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Bob,

In another thread I think the 20% number is shown to be incorrect. Anyway, my ability to trust ESPN with numbers about umpires is very, very limited, to the point of non-existence.

More to the point, if the best umpires LL can find by its criteria are in PA, overturning 3 calls by replay in 22 games is a big number to me. Would you personally have missed 3 calls in any set of 132 innings you have called this year that would lead to them being overturned on replay?

How many of us on this board would think that 3 overturned calls in about 19 7 inning games or about 15 nine inning games by us is a good job by us as umpires in those games?

Well, for me, I've never worked 4 man or 6 man, but if I did, yes, I would think that very few should be overturned by a crew that has proper mechanics and is in proper position, while using proper timing.

However, many of us have read the articles that prove that scientifically, the human eye and brain can't process information as well as the cameras on the super-close plays. In those cases, if there was replay in my game and I missed one of those, or if I got it right, I'd chalk it up to a good guess or a miss (coin flip) and not feel bad about it.

I'm not immune from making mistakes and I would venture to say that many of the guys on here who have worked a lot of baseball wouldn't compare their games to any other games because each game has it's own dynamics...some games are easy, some games are tougher based on the unique events of each game.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 11:17am
Stop staring at me swan.

two outs into the game and the coach goes to 3BU to ask for help on a tag because his runner said that he wasn't tagged.

announcers say..."great job on the crew getting together to make sure the call was right"

simply because the runner says that he wasn't tagged. setting a bad precedent for baseball america (not the umpires fault) they might be instructed to get together on this stuff at the request of the coaches and TD
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 11:18am
Stop staring at me swan.

It just keeps getting better...

In discussion of the LLWS replay...announcers quote:

"I just hope MLB is watching this LLWS"
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir View Post

I take my umpiring seriously and expect others to do the same but it's obvious these guys have not studied rules or mechanics to the degree that is required of someone who should be assigned this level of ball.

Forgive me for being a perfectionist but these kids deserve good umpiring and they did not get it.
I am in JM's camp

1. How do you KNOW these umpires do not take their umpiring seriously?

2. I am going to assume (I know could be a BIG mistake) that you get paid for your services so you can afford to attend clinics, buy the best equipment available. LL is for free. I do not agree with it BUT that is the premise.

Also, even if selected who can actually get the time off from work to umpire these games in the first place.

During the Regionals / LLWS there are still select travel tournamnets going on where you can earn decent money working those games.

Quote:
I have worked big venues and when I step on the field, there is no nervousness. I have confidence in my ability.
Have you ever been on Nat'l TV umpiring in front of millions of viewers with Replay being used?

If NOT then you have NO basis for your response UNLESS you have been there.

Don't get me wrong I think the entire process is a joke ESPECIALLY replay at a kids game BUT these umpires are under a great deal of pressure becasue basically they have no backing. WP has sold their soul so whenever there is a "Close" call there is someone present who will get the umpires attention.

Personally, after this year I do not know why any umpire would want to subject themselves to what's going on. A prime example was in Bristol Conn.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

If MLB is watching this LLWS, I'm sure it's an anti-endorsement of replay. It's such a joke every time any coach questions ANYTHING, the entire crew gets together. So stupid. I know they have to ... the stupid goes to those who make them.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=PeteBooth;689905]
Quote:

I am in JM's camp

1. How do you KNOW these umpires do not take their umpiring seriously?

2. I am going to assume (I know could be a BIG mistake) that you get paid for your services so you can afford to attend clinics, buy the best equipment available. LL is for free. I do not agree with it BUT that is the premise.

Also, even if selected who can actually get the time off from work to umpire these games in the first place.

During the Regionals / LLWS there are still select travel tournamnets going on where you can earn decent money working those games.

Have you ever been on Nat'l TV umpiring in front of millions of viewers with Replay being used?

If NOT then you have NO basis for your response UNLESS you have been there.

Don't get me wrong I think the entire process is a joke ESPECIALLY replay at a kids game BUT these umpires are under a great deal of pressure becasue basically they have no backing. WP has sold their soul so whenever there is a "Close" call there is someone present who will get the umpires attention.

Personally, after this year I do not know why any umpire would want to subject themselves to what's going on. A prime example was in Bristol Conn.

Pete Booth
I agree Pete. I've called games for years that were televised, been in large venue tournaments, etc., but I would NOT want to call a game under the microscope that LL is put under.

Simply, I don't believe that it gives the umpires a fair shake. I can count on one hand the number of conferences that I've had with umpires over the last five years during games; but, if you are doing LL, they must require you to bow to every whim of the coaches, because that's what the umpires on TV are doing every game.

Thansk
David
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know why they bother to make the initial call. *shrug*
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=David B;689978]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post

I agree Pete. I've called games for years that were televised, been in large venue tournaments, etc., but I would NOT want to call a game under the microscope that LL is put under.

Simply, I don't believe that it gives the umpires a fair shake. I can count on one hand the number of conferences that I've had with umpires over the last five years during games; but, if you are doing LL, they must require you to bow to every whim of the coaches, because that's what the umpires on TV are doing every game.

Thansk
David
I swear that if I was ever forced to call a conference on a call that was clearly mine, I'd get to the conference and say, "So ... what are we going to get Milly for a wedding present?"

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 03:56pm
Stop staring at me swan.

[QUOTE=mbcrowder;689981]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I swear that if I was ever forced to call a conference on a call that was clearly mine, I'd get to the conference and say, "So ... what are we going to get Milly for a wedding present?"
That would be awesome, because they're miked up too.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Candlesticks are always a nice wedding present.......
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Candlesticks are always a nice wedding present.......
We can find out where she's registered......