The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

My son created this play

We saw a kid stealing home and the batter hit a foul with a full swing. I think that is called atempted murder...but that is not what my post is about.

After Joseph, JR(11 yrs old) saw that...he got one of those looks in his eye and said...ok...what if....

The guy is stealing home, the batter chops it high off the plate, the runner slides into home right before the batted ball hits him in fair territory. I think the chance of this are mighty remote but, what do you think?

Last edited by jwwashburn; Sat Jul 31, 2010 at 02:15am. Reason: editing was needed
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
7.08(f) Any runner is out when he is touched by a fair ball in fair territory before the ball has touched or passed an infielder. The ball is dead and no runner may score, nor runners advance, except runners forced to advance.
Keep talking baseball with your child! Teach him/her the rules. Learn them yourself. That's how people learn to be better players/coaches and less obnoxious fans.
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 08:48am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
We saw a kid stealing home and the batter hit a foul with a full swing. I think that is called atempted murder...but that is not what my post is about.

After Joseph, JR(11 yrs old) saw that...he got one of those looks in his eye and said...ok...what if....

The guy is stealing home, the batter chops it high off the plate, the runner slides into home right before the batted ball hits him in fair territory. I think the chance of this are mighty remote but, what do you think?
I might have nuttin, if he already scored and he didn't do anything intentional to kick it fair, slap it fair, etc...
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I might have nuttin, if he already scored and he didn't do anything intentional to kick it fair, slap it fair, etc...
I suppose I see your point that if he has already scored, he has ceased to be a runner. OBR 2.00 Defines a runner as "an offensive player who is advancing toward, or touching, or returning to any base." So i guess in that respect he is no longer a runner. However he (an offensive player) did interfere with and/or hinder the defensive players ability to make a play on the batted ball. Especially if any contact was made with F2 (rule 7.09L)
Quote:
OBR 2.00 Interference (a) Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play.
No intent required.
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I like the way Junior thinks. I work with a LOT of junior umpires, and the really good ones are always asking questions, and they usually start with "What if......"
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Less than two out - run scores - the interference was after the score - batter out for teammate's interference.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Less than two out - run scores - the interference was after the score - batter out for teammate's interference.
This was my guess, Rich. In his league, this could actually happen. They are playing regular baseball and the pitchers often totally forget about the guy on third(or pay way to much attention and routinely throw the ball down the left field line)