The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   My son created this play (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58738-my-son-created-play.html)

jwwashburn Sat Jul 31, 2010 02:15am

My son created this play

We saw a kid stealing home and the batter hit a foul with a full swing. I think that is called atempted murder...but that is not what my post is about.

After Joseph, JR(11 yrs old) saw that...he got one of those looks in his eye and said...ok...what if....

The guy is stealing home, the batter chops it high off the plate, the runner slides into home right before the batted ball hits him in fair territory. I think the chance of this are mighty remote but, what do you think?

rbmartin Sat Jul 31, 2010 08:22am

Quote:

7.08(f) Any runner is out when he is touched by a fair ball in fair territory before the ball has touched or passed an infielder. The ball is dead and no runner may score, nor runners advance, except runners forced to advance.
Keep talking baseball with your child! Teach him/her the rules. Learn them yourself. That's how people learn to be better players/coaches and less obnoxious fans.

johnnyg08 Sat Jul 31, 2010 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 687360)
We saw a kid stealing home and the batter hit a foul with a full swing. I think that is called atempted murder...but that is not what my post is about.

After Joseph, JR(11 yrs old) saw that...he got one of those looks in his eye and said...ok...what if....

The guy is stealing home, the batter chops it high off the plate, the runner slides into home right before the batted ball hits him in fair territory. I think the chance of this are mighty remote but, what do you think?

I might have nuttin, if he already scored and he didn't do anything intentional to kick it fair, slap it fair, etc...

rbmartin Sat Jul 31, 2010 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 687367)
I might have nuttin, if he already scored and he didn't do anything intentional to kick it fair, slap it fair, etc...

I suppose I see your point that if he has already scored, he has ceased to be a runner. OBR 2.00 Defines a runner as "an offensive player who is advancing toward, or touching, or returning to any base." So i guess in that respect he is no longer a runner. However he (an offensive player) did interfere with and/or hinder the defensive players ability to make a play on the batted ball. Especially if any contact was made with F2 (rule 7.09L)
Quote:

OBR 2.00 Interference (a) Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play.
No intent required.

kylejt Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:17am

I like the way Junior thinks. I work with a LOT of junior umpires, and the really good ones are always asking questions, and they usually start with "What if......"

Rich Ives Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:26am

Less than two out - run scores - the interference was after the score - batter out for teammate's interference.

jwwashburn Tue Aug 03, 2010 01:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 687376)
Less than two out - run scores - the interference was after the score - batter out for teammate's interference.

This was my guess, Rich. In his league, this could actually happen. They are playing regular baseball and the pitchers often totally forget about the guy on third(or pay way to much attention and routinely throw the ball down the left field line)