The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 08:04pm
This IS My Social Life

Wish a TV Crew Was There

Legion game. Visitors' coach sometimes known for being a little gruff. I'm doing field. Veteran partner behind the plate.
End of fifth, visiting coach yells, "OK, get in there and pitch!". Out of the dugout comes this big 18 or so autistic kid who must be their batboy or something. Glove on hand, he approached the diamond with a sense of anticipation and confidence--looked as though he was being asked to finish off an MLB playoff game seven. Home players, in on the whole thing, quickly set up a screen closer to the plate.
The kid lumbers out, takes a few somewhat catchable warmup pitches. With visiting team in the field, a "real" batter gets in the box and my plate partner calls, "Play!".
This young fella is intent as ever. Batter takes some balls and swings at some "strikes." Plate ump calls it just as seriously as normal. The defense behind the relief pitcher, barking encouraging chatter prior to every pitch. On cue, the batter jacks one to left for a double. The pitcher is just about jumping up and down with excitement. Coach comes out to pull him in favor of a "reliever." While yet at the mound, several visiting team members enter from behind dugout and before the autistic kid could leave the diamond, present him with a new bike. About 60 home and visiting fans on their feet giving him a standing O, most drying tears.
After this, game continues as if nothing special happened. Except in the life of this autistic kid, who was on cloud 9 in anticipation of going into the game, and the rest of the night after his "relief" duties. As gruff as some say the visitors' coach can seem, he was all heart that nite. Apparently the whole thing was his idea.
There shoulda been a camera crew there for this one. Memorable.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BK47
Awesome.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Hope the batter was in on it too. The thought of a line drive up the middle made me cringe.

Last edited by DG; Sun Jul 18, 2010 at 09:44pm.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 09:24pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Fantastic post. Thanks for sharing. Made my day.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Hope the batter was in on it too. The thought of a line drive up the middle made me cringe.
I think that's why they set up the screen.

I've been involved in similar actions in basketball, and everyone knows what is going on.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

It doesn't get any better than this and what a great lesson for the players at that game.

Would have loved to be there.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a little verklempt.

Beautiful story. Thanks for sharing.

Now, tawlk amongst yourselves!

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think that's why they set up the screen.

I've been involved in similar actions in basketball, and everyone knows what is going on.
I mis-read that. So we had other players even closer to the plate than the pitcher... So batter jacks one to left, and no chance he could have hit a closer player? Why not bunt if all they wanted was to get the pitcher in the game?

This is a heart warming story until you step back and think about the risks of someone getting injured.

Last edited by DG; Mon Jul 19, 2010 at 09:21pm.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2010, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I mis-read that. So we had other players even closer to the plate than the pitcher... So batter jacks one to left, and no chance he could have hit a closer player? Why not bunt if all they wanted was to get the pitcher in the game?

This is a heart warming story until you step back and think about the risks of someone getting injured.
I read it as "they set up the BP screen". Then, the players setting up the screen went back to the normal positions (or on the bench). I think they did what they could to mitigate the risk.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Baseball is America's greatest game and among its greatest institutions.

This story is as moving and magnificent a baseball story as one can imagine, and I am thankful to you, Freddy, for sharing it with all of us. We do this because we love the game. This kind of story goes a long way in helping describe the magnitude of that love.