The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

The crew did nothing...

vent

I showed up earlier for a game I was working and got to watch some of the game before mine. In the game, the referee had a good (no, I'll even go great) no-call. The player made an odd looking move at the basket, but definitely not a travel (if you know the rules, which these players most certainly didn't). Anyways, as the T is counting off the 5 seconds for the throw-in after the made basket, a player on the team who now has the ball screams "You're f---ing horrible." I was appalled, and just waiting for the flagrant T, but NOTHING HAPPENED. Neither the T nor the L (2-man) called it. I'm willing to give the L the benefit of the doubt, as he said (after the game when I talked to him) that he didn't hear it. When I asked the T about it, all he had to say was, "Well, I just have tough skin," and then chuckled about it.

I could have exploded ....but I needed to work the next game, and they would prefer a whole me over little bits and pieces

/vent
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
I do not know about a flagrent T but deffinatly a T, but then again I have tough skin.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
I do not know about a flagrent T but deffinatly a T, but then again I have tough skin.
You don't? Then you must have been the same idiot that didn't throw the flagrant T.

Tough skin has zero to do with it. You allow him to get away with it and he'll do it again. That's why we have problems today with kids like OJ Mayo, because officials don't have the balls to do what's right.

5.6.2 SITUATION F:
Following the final horn in a game which has Team A leading 62-60, the coach of Team A sprints after the game officials and shouts profanity at the referee who has just left the playing court outside the end line.

RULING: The referee shall charge the coach with a flagrant technical foul and the results of the two free throws will determine whether an extra period will be necessary. The jurisdiction of the officials had not ended as the referee was still within the visual confines of the playing area. (2-2-4)

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

This is a nobrainer flagrant.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 02:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
Are you serious? You'd let a high school player say something like that without tossing him?

No wonder we have problems with some players and teams if they're used to getting away with crap like that.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Are you serious? You'd let a high school player say something like that without tossing him?
Well, this wasn't HS. But nevertheless, these officials, both of whom I know, knew better. I just needed to vent. When something like this happens, I know that down the line, when the playoffs for this league start next week, and one of them tries to pull that with me, or any other referee, and they get tossed, then I'll hear "but last week I didn't get in trouble for it." Then again, he'll be promptly exiting the gym, so I shouldn't hear much out of them anyways. I just know that somewhere down the line, another ref is going to be made to look like the bad guy (or gal) when they have to toss them.

On another note, working in a different league this weekend (kids rec league), I had a parent yell at me, "Obviously you've never seen the officials work games in the," wait for it......"SEC!" I was really hoping he'd say Big 10 so I could start giving 25-hip-bang block calls just like Hightower.

The best lesson I've learned is that you just have to let it all go once the game is over. Sure, the coach was an A**, but when it's all said and done with, if I can go home, watch some basketball and chuckle about it all, it just makes it all that much better.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Ok, you got me that should be flagrent. A kid will not get away with that and stay in the game next time.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
vent

I showed up earlier for a game I was working and got to watch some of the game before mine. In the game, the referee had a good (no, I'll even go great) no-call. The player made an odd looking move at the basket, but definitely not a travel (if you know the rules, which these players most certainly didn't). Anyways, as the T is counting off the 5 seconds for the throw-in after the made basket, a player on the team who now has the ball screams "You're f---ing horrible." I was appalled, and just waiting for the flagrant T, but NOTHING HAPPENED. Neither the T nor the L (2-man) called it. I'm willing to give the L the benefit of the doubt, as he said (after the game when I talked to him) that he didn't hear it. When I asked the T about it, all he had to say was, "Well, I just have tough skin," and then chuckled about it.

I could have exploded ....but I needed to work the next game, and they would prefer a whole me over little bits and pieces

/vent
In my opinion, I would have not given flagrant, just an unsportsmanlike T. He should have been stuck. I would have done it immediately.

Last edited by IREFU2; Mon Feb 26, 2007 at 09:35am.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 09:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
In my opinion, I would have not given flagrant, just an unsportsmanlike T.
Then you're f---ing horrible too.

JMO.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would make that this kid doesn't play for a while. Officials can't let this behavior go without some negative reactions..
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Then you're f---ing horrible too.

JMO.
Too bad that just your opinion. I am sure you are a perfect official in your own eyes......JMO.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 10:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Too bad that just your opinion. I am sure you are a perfect official in your own eyes......JMO.
If it doesn't bother you if a high school player says that to you, why would it bother you if another official said that to you also?

Think about it. Or not.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Don't get it

Maybe I am just tired and not thinking right but I don't see why you have a flagrant T in this case. A T for unsportmanlike behavior yes but to toss a kid for swearing I just don't think so. At least not in my district. I would def. give a T but I would not toss him. Can you guys give me a rule book reason for the toss.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 10:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF
Maybe I am just tired and not thinking right but I don't see why you have a flagrant T in this case. A T for unsportmanlike behavior yes but to toss a kid for swearing I just don't think so. At least not in my district. I would def. give a T but I would not toss him. Can you guys give me a rule book reason for the toss.
Sigh. It's already been cited above by BktBallRef. Case book play 5.6.2SitF. You don't mind high school kids swearing at YOU either, I take it?

Hey, be my guest. Let 'em call you every name in the book, for all I care. Hell, they know that they're not gonna get thrown out anyway. Remember, though, to be fair you have to let every single player on both teams swear at YOU like that without fear of being tossed. Not to mention coaches, trainers, student managers, etc., etc., etc.

You reap what you sow, and officials that don't want to to take care of bidness deserve exactly what they get.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 10:38am
Do not give a damn!!

This is totally a judgment call. I would not toss a player either just based on what I read. I was also not there either. He would get a T if I heard him clearly, but not ejected. All a judgment call.

Peace