View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 08:04pm
This IS My Social Life

Wish a TV Crew Was There

Legion game. Visitors' coach sometimes known for being a little gruff. I'm doing field. Veteran partner behind the plate.
End of fifth, visiting coach yells, "OK, get in there and pitch!". Out of the dugout comes this big 18 or so autistic kid who must be their batboy or something. Glove on hand, he approached the diamond with a sense of anticipation and confidence--looked as though he was being asked to finish off an MLB playoff game seven. Home players, in on the whole thing, quickly set up a screen closer to the plate.
The kid lumbers out, takes a few somewhat catchable warmup pitches. With visiting team in the field, a "real" batter gets in the box and my plate partner calls, "Play!".
This young fella is intent as ever. Batter takes some balls and swings at some "strikes." Plate ump calls it just as seriously as normal. The defense behind the relief pitcher, barking encouraging chatter prior to every pitch. On cue, the batter jacks one to left for a double. The pitcher is just about jumping up and down with excitement. Coach comes out to pull him in favor of a "reliever." While yet at the mound, several visiting team members enter from behind dugout and before the autistic kid could leave the diamond, present him with a new bike. About 60 home and visiting fans on their feet giving him a standing O, most drying tears.
After this, game continues as if nothing special happened. Except in the life of this autistic kid, who was on cloud 9 in anticipation of going into the game, and the rest of the night after his "relief" duties. As gruff as some say the visitors' coach can seem, he was all heart that nite. Apparently the whole thing was his idea.
There shoulda been a camera crew there for this one. Memorable.