Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 22, 2002, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to otis3zeb Send a message via Yahoo to otis3zeb
Thumbs up

Hey Guys,
Great web-site, learning alot of great info. I need some advise on a Pre-game with my crew, I have something in mind. But I would like to hear some of you veterans, give me your pregame list and some important factors to discuss! Thanks for your time.

Tim
Old Thu Aug 22, 2002, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Crew participation.

I read that this NFL ref used to make his crew prepare different aspects of the pre-game: for example, the BJ would discuss mechanics during passing plays or the HL would discuss mechanics during measurements. Or the U would discuss enforcement of penalties. I'm a great believer in getting everyone involved. It makes them feel needed and wanted by their ref.
Old Thu Aug 22, 2002, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

If you have access to a fax machine, I'd be glad to send you the one we use.
Old Thu Aug 22, 2002, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to otis3zeb Send a message via Yahoo to otis3zeb
Post Fax

Thanks for the replys,

Any and all are appreciated. My fax number is 775-429-7106, which is at home, thanks for the help!!!

Tim
Old Fri Aug 23, 2002, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

My pre game conference with my crew lasts about 50 minutes. I cover all aspects of the game; mostly mechanics with the addition of the ne rules for the year. My basic reasoning for this is that I can't give a rules clinic before the game but I can, at least, help you be in the right position to make a call. the pre game is written, in outline form, and is about 20 pages long. It is broken down by position; What does the LJ do on free kicks? For each section below the appropiate offiical decsribes their positioning and responsibilities before, during, and after the play.

1. Pre game mechanics: things to do during the 30 minutes befor the game begins.
2. Coin toss
3. Free kicks
4. Pre snap duties: Things we have to do before every play such as count offense/defense, check alingment, down/distance, dead ball fouls, etc.
5. Running plays: where are you going to be on sweeps, runs up the middle, what is the offside official doing.
6. Passing plays: who has what reciever, eye contact, catch/no catch, inbounds/out of bounds
7. Field goals and punts
8. Extra points
9. Goal line plays
10. Halftime
11. Penalty reporting and enforcement
12. Measurements
13. General duties: know down/distance; know ball position on field; crisp, clear signals; etc
14. Overtime: discussed at halftime if warranted.
15. Equipment check

I will have each official relate what they are doing and their responsibilities for each type of play/situation. As the season progresses, I will rotate the positions so that the U will respond with what the R does, or the L will talk about the BJ's responsibilities. This is so everybody not only knows their job but everyone elses. This, I believe, promotes crew unity: you know what the other guy is doing so can more fully concentrate on your duties! If, God forbid, one of my crew members goes down, we can easly adjust. We supply clock operators so they are also included in my pre game and I will discuss timing problems also. If we are supplying a chain crew they are also included. I will require these off field officials to attend the pre game, they are part of the crew!