The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Years ago, when I was coaching in a USSSA tournament, we played a team that employed this tactic. One of our DH/P/C guys (a beast!) was the kind of guy you'd play at fullback if you saw the way he ran as an oversized kid (6'0''/220 at 14). He was chugging toward third on a pitch that bounced, and when he arrived at the bag, he gave a late, hard, but clean slide that sent F5 flying, with his glove, hat and sunglasses flying in different directions. The F5, perhaps 150 pounds, wound up 15 feet from the bag when he was done rolling. He couldn't continue.

Now I didn't urge anybody to do this, but when I asked the kid why he separated him like that, he just replied that he saw the guy blocking the bag and he wanted to make sure he reached the bag despite his blocking it.

The point is: Coaches who teach their infielders to block the bag with their leg should be the ones that get separated. It is absolutely one of the most dangerous practices one can employ on a baseball field, and everyone who teaches it--irrespective of the level of play--should not be around developing ballplayers.

These kinds of coaches are the reason that America is losing its grip on the sport that we invented. The percentage of American-born ballplayers in the professional ranks is dropping every year. It can't afford to have bucket-carrying fanboys posing as baseball coaches feeding this buIIsh!t to our young players. Even many high school coaches fit this profile. But nearly all youth coaches do.

Some players actually deserve to play effective baseball beyond the age of 14. It's too bad there's not a system in place that trains them effectively.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Kheisner:

One thing you must know is....at least 2/3rds(if not more) of the guys giving you the business on this site, have never umpired a game outside their minds or their SP3 players.

Of the 2/3rds I'm talking about, I guessing they can spend so much time on this board, is because they live in their mom's basement, and have plenty of free time and space.

Now that has been said, your points are well taken...but yes the "blocker" should have been tossed. The rest of the blather is just that. Good luck, from someone who got started doing this in 1973(and coached for 25 years inbetween umpiring stints)...you'll come under much more pressure than this board before your umpiring career is over. Stick it out, as for the critics here, tell then to just Stick It! Learn from your mistakes, but remember the guys here, for the most part, not all, are inflating their egos, by tearing you and others down. Those types have never made it past the Middle School/JV level.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 03:09pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowKnows View Post
Kheisner:

One thing you must know is....at least 2/3rds(if not more) of the guys giving you the business on this site, have never umpired a game outside their minds or their SP3 players.

Of the 2/3rds I'm talking about, I guessing they can spend so much time on this board, is because they live in their mom's basement, and have plenty of free time and space.

Now that has been said, your points are well taken...but yes the "blocker" should have been tossed. The rest of the blather is just that. Good luck, from someone who got started doing this in 1973(and coached for 25 years inbetween umpiring stints)...you'll come under much more pressure than this board before your umpiring career is over. Stick it out, as for the critics here, tell then to just Stick It! Learn from your mistakes, but remember the guys here, for the most part, not all, are inflating their egos, by tearing you and others down. Those types have never made it past the Middle School/JV level.
I hear what you're saying, but for the most part sir, you're wrong.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where in the world did that come from? Mr. 10-posts... how long have you been reading here? MOST of the posters here are solid umpires - their (and my) sole reasons for coming here are A) to learn and B) to teach. Yes - we disagree sometimes, but usually we are all better umpires having discussed the disagreements. Further - I don't see ANYONE giving the OP "the business" at all.

Quote:
This site is not blather free (and now thanks to your contribution, neither is this thread) ... what post, exactly, do you see above that is "blather". All I see are constructive posts discussing the situation. Where do you even see a single individual post that is worthy of being disagreed with?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Kheisner:

2/3rds Eh?

TheShadowThinksHeKnows............Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guessing they can spend so much time on this board, is because they live in their mom's basement, and have plenty of free time and space.
JJ, we've been outed!!!!!!!
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 07:23pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
JJ, we've been outed!!!!!!!
They found me too. My cover is blown!
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

If the fielder has the ball he can block the base in any code. If he does not it is OBS under FED (and NCAA). Under OBR a play would have to be imminent to not be obstruction. I have seen in print (PBUC I believe) that the ball is judged to be inside the grass cutout at the plate (13') to be imminent so at 3b it would likely be the same. Unless there is some malicious action by the fielder no reason to eject. Malicious action by the runner could be also.

So, depending on rule set, make call as you see it. Can't see a coach getting ejected for coaching kid to obstruct. Just enforce the obstruction if you see it.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

All,
As a rookie ump I come here for info.....yeah, some of you have sliced me up pretty good...but what the hell, I'm an umpire I get that on a daily basis.

Main thing is that I improve my game as an umpire & referee......like they say about turtles.....if you are not willing to stick your neck out how do you expect to get ahead.

If you are having fun "chewing me up". Well, then two of us are having a good time!! Honestly much of it is good advice and I do appreciate it.

I monitor this site to learn.....like I said earlier, sometimes I have to consider the source. All-in-all, this is a good source. Sometimes I just have to throw out the crap and digest the good stuff.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

kheisner -

You're not writing this from your basement are you?

Stick around the board and you'll hear a lot of sound advice from some experienced and knowledgeable individuals.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Kheisner:

This guy's projecting. This is a classic case!

The Shadow ... what a joke.

(That nickname came to him as he saw a shadow was being cast by the floodlight on the staircase leading down to his mother's basement.)
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheisner View Post
All,
As a rookie ump I come here for info.....yeah, some of you have sliced me up pretty good...but what the hell, I'm an umpire I get that on a daily basis.

)
Being told that you made a mistake is not being sliced up. It's not personal, and it's the only way to improve.

Being told that you're a stoopid turd who has no business on a diamond is being sliced up, but I don't see anyone here saying that to you.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Being told that you're a stoopid turd who has no business on a diamond is being sliced up, but I don't see anyone here saying that to you.
That may apply to one of the "shadowy" posters in this thread ... but not to OP.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Where in the world did that come from? Mr. 10-posts... how long have you been reading here?
He's made far more than 10 posts...you've seen him before under one of his many other pseudonyms.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
He's made far more than 10 posts...you've seen him before under one of his many other pseudonyms.
What tipped you off?